Hamster cage set up on a budget

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
As there are no real cages that come fully equipped, with everything needed, and cage prices are so high these days, I thought this thread could be useful for anyone starting out on a budget.

Cage - good second hand ones available

The first thing you need is a good sized cage. Cage prices are quite high these days and other things still need to be bought, so the best option is to get a second hand one - ebay is a good start. Look out for second hand Barney cages. They are great and suitable for any species of hamster - they are 100cm x 54cm. They are a little tall for dwarf hamsters and robos but there are ways to reduce the falls risks. This cage has 7mm narrow bar spacing as well hence suitable for all species. But check gaps around doors which maybe be larger - cable ties help here. If you're lucky it will come with the original shelf as well - it's a good shelf. It can be washed and dried and then plastikoted to remove any smells and seal it.

There are quite a few used Savic Plaza cages second hand these days - 100cm - good for Syrians (and dwarfs if set up carefully due to the height).

For dwarf hamsters - look out for second hand zoozone large cages (100cm) also - the lid might need meshing though, but mesh is inexpensive.

Even second hand cages aren't going that cheap these days but you should be able to get a good cage for £50 or less.

Get the biggest cage you can get!

Wheel:

The most economical, safe wheel you can get easily is the Trixie plastic wheel - Amazon sell it. It's a good basic wheel and they're usually fairly quiet. The 28cm one for a Syrian is about £13. The 20cm one for dwarfs or robos costs a bit less.

Trixie wheel.jpg

Water bottle:

Having wasted money and had a lot of hassle with various water bottles that leak or don't let water out easily, I stick to these - they are inexpensive, they easily attach to barred cages, they don't drip and they let water out easily. They have doubled in price in the last 2 or 3 years! They used to be about £3. Some pet stores may sell them but they're mainly available online. The 75ml size is just right for hamsters - the clip to fit it to the cage makes it very easy to lift the bottle in and out for topping up the water.

Ferplast Drinky 75ml

Amazon - click here

Porton Aquapet - available to order - click here

Food Bowl:

There are a fair few nice little hamster food bowls you can buy but you don't need to buy one - any suitably sized household dish will do as long as it's not too tall at the sides. Another option is a terracotta plant pot base - this is low and wide so the hamster can sit on it while eating or get at the food easily.

Sand bath:

You can use something like an old ice cream tub for this. The cheapest suitable sand is childrens sterilised play sand (from Argos I believe) which is sold in a good sized bag. Other options are available in large bags also which don't cost too much more.

House/nesting box:

This is an important thing for hamsters as they need somewhere dark to retreat to and large enough to build a big cosy nest - especially in winter. There are some very nice multiroom houses available - but they aren't cheap. A shoebox hide does the job very well. Cut the base out of a shoe box, keep the lid for a lift off roof and cut a hole for a door. Ideally cut the door at one end of one of the long sides (so the other end of the house is darker inside).

Shelf or platform
Hamsters need a shelf ideally in the cage - something to sit under so they feel secure - they don't like too much open space above them - hence a house and shelf are important. A shelf is also somewhere to put heavier ceramic items or a food bowl so it doesn't get substrate in it.

If a cage doesn't come with a shelf then you'll need to buy one. Or make one. It isn't easy finding good shelves. A cheap option is this freestanding Trixie platform

Trixie platform.jpg

Or this trixie shelf

Trixie shelf.jpg

Ramps:

Shelves and platforms need safe, sturdy access up to them. Another good reason to find a used Barney cage - the shelf comes with a very good ramp! Ladders and ramps are also difficult to find - some aren't safe, some aren't long enough, some sink in the substrate. A cheap option is to have the house next to the shelf or platform so it can be used as a step up to it. So a couple of bendy stick bridges are a couple of inexpensive accessories to buy. One over the house door (to make a ramp onto the house roof) - one on top of the house roof (to make a further step up to the platform). You can get colourful ones made of plain wood. If you get natural bark wood ones, check them carefully for large gaps where a foot could get caught. If they have large gaps - exchange them.

As an alternative to a ramp you could tie a long tube to cage bars at an angle, so it's secure, leading up to the shelf. Use plastic cable ties or sisal string for attaching things to bars. Standard string is unsafe if chewed as made of cotton and could cause blockages if swallowed. A ball of sisal string is inexpensive to buy, useful and lasts a long time.

Or buy this trio of balls - if you can only buy one toy these are a good option! I use the seagrass ball for the string. Seagrass is safe for hamster items also. The hyacinth ball is a nice cage item for a hamster and you can stick treats under the folds as an occasional treat to keep them occupied.

Trio of balls.jpg

Toys, hides and other cage accessories for enrichment:

Cardboard is your friend. Pringles tubes for tunnels, kitchen roll inner tubes (slit them down one side so they expand), toilet roll inner tubes (slit down the side again), small square tissue boxes for extra hides and cardboard egg boxes with a hole cut in for an extra hide or turned upside down to make a foraging tray with treats in.

Substrate:

This is the litter for the base of the cage - buying it in bulk can save a lot of money in the long run. Fitch recycled paper bedding can be bought in 10kg bales for about £23 - should last about 6 months or more with at least 6" in the cage and regular spot cleaning.

Kaytee Clean and cosy comes in large packs as well and expands. Not quite as economical but easier to get hold of.

Hemp bedding can also be bought in bulk.

Nesting material:

Plain white toilet paper torn into strips is cheap and the safest nesting material if digested.

To make cage items look colourful, fun or more attractive, plastikote pet safe waterproofing paint comes in little bottles of various different colours. A bottle cost £4 and goes a long way (must say water based on the bottle). It's also sold by most hardware stores. This can be used for making smooth wood items wipe clean and waterproof.

Plastikote clear water-based enamel paint

Plastikote various colours

Plastikote - Harbour Blue

There are various tutorials and videos for making diy toys and cage items out of papier mache etc if you feel creative!

These are the basics to provide a safe enriched environment for your hamster - plus a good diet. Good mixes are limited. For a new owner, you can't go wrong with Tiny Friends Harry Hamster (original not fruity) which contains everything needed and has reasonable ingredients. It is inexpensive and a bag lasts a long time. Don't get a pet store brand of food. You can supplement with fresh healthy treats and human leftovers (no gravy, sauce or spices etc, just plain cooked things). Pasta or spaghetti is a nice treat as well. And a tiny bit of veg each day (no bigger than the size of the hamster's ear).

Hopefully people will add other money saving tips :)

Last edited:
I use the Classic water bottles. They're usually £1 to £1.50 each for the smallest size and have lasted well for me. They also perfectly fit the holder that comes with the Ferplast water bottle. I find anything other than a Classic or a Ferplast water bottle is likely to leak or stop working, sometimes unpredictably - a bottle that was fine for a few weeks will empty itself overnight and drench all the surrounding bedding!

Good tip that the classic bottles fit in the ferplast holder! I've used the classic ones as well. You're right, most other bottles are rubbish. The Ferplast drinky is my favourite though :)

I also use the classic water bottle. I think it is great and does not seem to leak either.

Are all 3 of the trio of balls safe for hamsters? I was thinking of buying them for Albert.

I sometimes find the wicker one to have the odd sharp bit so I tend not to use it in the cage. They hyacinth one is fine. I keep the seagrass one for string :)

Last edited:
It was the wicker one that I was concerned about.

Great suggestions.
Just wanted to check please, the Argos Play Sand says it is Silica. I didn't think that was suitable for Hamsters (unless the brand on offer has changed since you posted this)?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230628-102740-813.png
    Screenshot_20230628-102740-813.png
    123.4 KB · Views: 1
Reactions: Maz
If it says it’s silica sand then I wouldn’t use it, I know some people do use play sand but not sure what brand.

Great suggestions.
Just wanted to check please, the Argos Play Sand says it is Silica. I didn't think that was suitable for Hamsters (unless the brand on offer has changed since you posted this)?
I have used that one but I didn't like it as it's not really absorbent and it got really smelly. Silica sand is quite similar to reptile sand or other quartz sands so probably isn't unsafe but i didn't find it very good as a hamster sand. It also comes damp in the bag and needs to be dried before use. I also don't believe silica or quartz sands clean their coats as well as other types of sand.

I prefer sepiolite sands such as Tiny Friends Farm or the JR Farm one from Zooplus.

Just to chip in on this, all sand, apart from sepiolite sand, is silica sand - even calcium free quartz sand and dessert sand. Currently the internet is a bit anti sepiolite sand (which some of us have been using for years without issue but brands vary) and anti the Tiny Friends one in particular - and pro calcium free reptile sand - which is actually silica.

The point is the sand is fine. Lots of people have used the Argos childrens play sand. I looked into what the issue was supposed to be with silica sand and the issue was - it is supposed to be carcinogenic. But - that the time it takes for it to become carcinogenic is a lot longer than the lifespan of a hamster, and it's really talking about industrial workers working with it daily over many years.

I use the JR Farm one from Zooplus, a lot of people use natural sand, dessert sand and calcium free reptisand. The argos childrens play sand can work out quite cheap as bought in bulk. I haven't used it but I know plenty of people have.

The bag of JR Farm sand I have is 4kg lasts about two years with two hamsters, as you don't go through that much really.

Last edited:
The sand that is not safe to use is calcium based quartz reptile sands. But the calcium free ones are fine. There has been a lot of confusion about sands for years, which is why I looked into it.

As Daisy says though, it might be a bit "heavy" as I would imagine when you think of childrens play sand. Whichever sand you go for though, it's important it isn't too dusty as dust is a problem with hamster respiratory tracts. So if anything is labelled Chinchilla "dust" rather than sand it's probably too dusty. The Argos childrens play sand does work out cheap - although I'm not sure you'd need that much with one hamster :-)

I've edited the original post slightly to update it as some links were out of date - and add there are alternative sands that don't cost that much more :-)

I have two tips that a person new to hamsters may not think of.
Buy an icing sieve or tea strainer and use this to sieve the sand to remove any soiled sand, bedding or seeds. This will keep the sand for much longer and save having to replace the whole sand.

If you wish to use a water bowl, a tealight holder is inexpensive. I have a set of IKEA glass tealight holders that I use as water bowls.

Back