仓鼠 Tsang Shu

This might help with veg choice also :-) To know what to avoid. It has referenced material.

IMG_1145.jpeg

8:28pm and my Nocturnal Chinese Hamster is awake

• Love
Reactions: Maz
I picked up a brick in my backyard and found a small earthworm. Tsang Shu might not eat it, but we will try anything.

Insects found outside could be carrying germs, bacteria etc. If you want to feed insects then you can buy hamster safe ones.

Sorry, I hope you are okay with me saying that. It was a thoughtful idea.

YouTube gives bad advice
Pet Stores give bad advice
Cage manufacturers give bad advice
Hamster Food sellers give bad advice
Is there anyone here besides myself on this Hamster Forum who gives bad advice ?
I'm sure any advice you may have posted was done with the best of intentions I have found a lot of people on this forum have had years of experience with various species of hamsters and they are prepared to give us the benefit of what they have learnt some things can be adaptable but personally I'd not take chances with anything to do with diet you obviously care very much so do a lot of research but it dosent always come from the best source

My hamster loves it. She pokes into the Vase, she tunnels under the cardboard hide. She jumps on top of both hides. She races up and down the tube. She runs in the wheel all night long.

Rainbow has a point in that earth can contain parasites. It could be cleaned off. Whether earthworms carry parasites or not, I am not sure. But I would err on the side of caution that worms eat earth and could carry parasites.

Hamsters are animals and they can survive in the outside. You people always come up with neurotic reasons not to do things.

Avoiding processed food is an intelligent choice. I don't eat processed foods myself. I am a chef and cook with naturally grown ingredients. I am affluent so it is easy to choose what to eat.

An earthworm seems like a tasty treat, they are supposed to be full of fat. Caterpillars are full of protein and not fat. Ants can be yummy. Crickets, if you can catch them, are good for hamsters. Everyone relax.

A worm would be a tasty treat. And hamsters do live outside in the wild. However their lifespan is much shorter in the wild and quite recently there have been more concerns about hamsters getting parasites from soil etc. Including tapeworms which can be passed to humans. So the concern is parasites. They do eat live insects also. Earthworms however do tend to contain soil. People do use sterilised soil substrates in dig boxes for enrichment sometimes and freeze dried mealworms are fine to give. Preferably not live ones as the live ones can bite.

I felt similar to you at one time - about not worrying about every risk from soil outside etc as I had taken my hamsters outside in the past at various times. I have however accepted that soil risks worms and parasites. At the end of the day it's personal choice but giving bugs or worms from the garden would risk digestive parasites.

Basically - we wouldn't recommend giving an earthworm from outside. Hamsters depend on us to keep them healthy.

Okay. Where do you buy earthworms ? Crickets ? Grasshoppers ? Caterpillars ? Ants ?

Crickets and insect larvae are the main hamster bug diet. You can get live crickets at reptile stores. But you'd probably only need 1! You can get freeze dried crickets, grasshoppers and mealworms here. You can also get freeze dried freshwater shrimps and slkworm pupaea. Not all hamsters will eat the insects. Mine turned their nose up at a dried cricket. They get to like the human food and veg! A live cricket - some hamsters would chase, others would ignore. I'm not sure I'd fancy having ants in a hamster cage. Some pet stores may sell live insect food as well.

IMG_1276.jpeg
Here in my living room, it is absolutely dark. My night vision camera shows her running in her wheel.

IMG_1277.jpeg
After running, she came here to sip some water from the water bottle.

Reactions: Maz
IMG_1279.jpeg
Here she popped out of the Tube where I sprinkled some Oregano. She probably nibbled some before racing back down the Tube and jumping back on her wheel.

Back