100cm bin cage

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
I came across this bin cage last night. It's 100cm x 50cm x 50cm which is a really good size for a bin cage. Those are probably external measurements, and the wheel arches seem to be protrude slightly in the inside corners of the bin, but it's still a really good size for a bin cage. It's £35 at Asda (£40 at Argos) so is probably the cheapest cage available in that size bracket. And bin cages only need basic tools. It's a really useful box as well and theirs tend to be easier to cut without cracking. It also has a securely fastening lid. I've added it to the list of cages thread.

Last edited:
I do remember someone somewhere using that before, it is a really good size, I think they had a bit of an issue with the hamster trying to chew the wheel bits but then some hams will chew anything! I think it would be a good bin for a Russian or Chinese anyway.

I suppose if that happened, the wheel bits could be covered with something - like sticking hemp mat on them. Maybe the hamster thought they were in the way. I think it's less likely if the bedding is deep enough that they don't show.

I ordered this once and it came totally cracked. I saw in the reviews it almost always turns up cracked. They put it in a big box without any packaging around it.

I wanted to use it to make a hospital cage.

That is annoying it arrived broken but I think most sellers would replace it if that happened. Buying it directly from Argos or Asda is probably safer in that case. This happens a lot with perspex cages as well - them arriving cracked (and even some cage bases).

I bought it from Asda and got a refund. If possible I would not buy it from there due to the poor packaging. I got a refund as it would have only happened again.

It's cheap though! People could go into the store to buy it, is what I meant :) . I'm always keen to find some suitable cages under £70 as everything is so expensive now.

I bought it from Asda and got a refund. If possible I would not buy it from there due to the poor packaging. I got a refund as it would have only happened again.
Glad you got a refund - and I know what you mean - if it happens once you think it might happen again and be more disappointment and hassle.

I doubt that it is a genuine rub at that price. Really useful could be used as a discriptive term rather than a brand.
The biggest rub i'm aware of is the 145l which has gone up to around £50.
I don't know for sure though and could be wrong of course.

I think it is :) It has their trademark handles and side design. Good point though - it's not listed on their website. They do have a 64 litre on that looks identical on their website though - same wheels and handle.

But then in the product description at the top it says

Brand Really Useful Box

Maybe these are an offshoot of the RUB bin brand or something.

I doubt that it is a genuine rub at that price. Really useful could be used as a discriptive term rather than a brand.
The biggest rub i'm aware of is the 145l which has gone up to around £50.
I don't know for sure though and could be wrong of course.
I just had a look on the RUB website & they do have one that’s exactly the same design but only 64L, this one isn’t on there as far as I can see so maybe not.

But then in the product description at the top it says

Brand Really Useful Box

Maybe these are an offshoot of the RUB bin brand or something.
It is a genuine rub then. That's a reasonable price for box of that size. I'm pleasantly surprised that they haven't gone up in price.

I only use rubs because there is quite a difference in quality between those and others. Rubs are easier to work with and they are stronger.

I agree it does seem cheap for a RUB bin. As it's not listed on their website though I suspect it might be an offshoot company - but they own both brand names apparently. Really useful products and really useful bin. A bit confusing though.

I've emailed them to check :) Because they are associated with a particular quality.

It does seem odd if a lot of people have received cracked or damaged ones, I had loads of RUB bins in various sizes & they’re all really strong & never anything damaged.

I know - the reviews suggest a lot arrive cracked if ordering online - but then some reviews say they are thick plastic and strong boxes and most of the comments seem to suggest lack of packaging.

Back