Guest viewing is limited

A week in the life of my pets and guests - April

I know that feeling hanging things like hamster snoozecubes & hammocks on the line!
Sounds like a busy day with lots getting done.
Lovely photos of Leo & combo, Leo’s looking very curious!
Great to see your chillis shooting up, I don’t grow them but always love to see the first seedlings making an appearance with other things.

Leo looks so cute! Those ears 😍.
Gorgeous border as well.
I know what you mean by the mousey smell similiar to that of some male dwarfs. Eddie has it about him. I reckognized it from Ozzy soon as he moved in.
Do you need insurance for small animal boarding?
I have considered it as a retirement project but worry about conflicting ideas of hamster care. If someone pays me to board a hamster who has a wheel that is too small for example, that would cause me a big problem. On one hand it wouldn't be my place to insist on a bigger wheel because i'd be providing a service i get paid for but on the other hand i'd feel obliged to consider the hamster's wellbeing.
I know from rehoming that some people are receptive to improving their hamster's lives but not all are.

Leo looks so cute! Those ears 😍.
Gorgeous border as well.
I know what you mean by the mousey smell similiar to that of some male dwarfs. Eddie has it about him. I reckognized it from Ozzy soon as he moved in.
Do you need insurance for small animal boarding?
I have considered it as a retirement project but worry about conflicting ideas of hamster care. If someone pays me to board a hamster who has a wheel that is too small for example, that would cause me a big problem. On one hand it wouldn't be my place to insist on a bigger wheel because i'd be providing a service i get paid for but on the other hand i'd feel obliged to consider the hamster's wellbeing.
I know from rehoming that some people are receptive to improving their hamster's lives but not all are.
I have business insurance, which is not a legal requirement but is a very good idea. You also may also need to update your house insurance if you are running a business from home and having business customers visit your home.

I have always found people to be grateful for tactfully-given advice about wheels and so on but of course it is a very different dynamic when you are looking after someone's pet vs rehoming and it requires sensitivity and some degree of humility. I try to phrase advice in a positive rather than negative way, e.g "he's a healthy-sized hamster and would probably be more comfortable on a bigger wheel" rather than "his wheel is too small".

You do ultimately have to respect people's right to make decisions for their own pets. There are times when I can tell from a hamster's cage setup and the types of things they have their cage that their owners have done research (e.g cork logs, multichamber houses, a bendy bridge over the entrance to the house - these are things that people generally only know about if they've been researching online) but there might be one incongruous thing, like maybe they have a Pets at Home XL cage but it's reasonably well set up and the hamster is content. Those cases are where the humility comes as you just have to accept that these are not uninformed or uncaring people and this is how they've chosen to care for their pet, and I don't believe I have the right to impose my own opinion. I try to reserve that for cases where there is real harm being done (or which is likely to be done) to the hamster, which the owner is likely unaware of.

Overall, I would say, don't overcomplicate the issue. Those of us who are active in the online hamster world, and who are familiar with the huge amount of neglect which some hamsters suffer, tend to view these issues in a moralistic way, and rightly or wrongly, can often tend to make assumptions about an owner based on the size of their cage, their wheel etc. That's why giving advice can feel so difficult or risky to us because we feel like when we say "his wheel is too small", we're afraid that we might actually be saying, or that the owner might hear "his wheel is too small because you're misinformed and you're a bad owner", because those the associations we have. But the average "offline" hamster owner who isn't familiar with the online hamster world, probably only hears "his wheel is too small" and doesn't attach to that advice all the moralistic stuff (unless it is framed in that way). I find when I try to detach things like wheel size and cage size from the moralistic associations, telling someone their wheel is too small is not much different to telling them their pet is a different sex to what they thought it was (which happens from time to time). It's literally just communicating a fact, and it may be met by surprise or even disappointment, but rarely anger if it's communicated sensitively, and usually also gratitude and a request for further advice.

Of course there are times when a hamster is so poorly cared for, even abused, that it's appropriate to make moralistic assumptions about the owner but I have never come across one of those cases personally, as those aren't the type of people who pay for pet boarding.

You're right Daisy - how you suggest upgrades etc needs to be done carefully so as not to come across as criticism and not be heard properly. I think it helps to start with the positives - like it's a lovely set up and the hamster seems very happy - but I've noticed xyz and he might benefit from xyz. But then sometimes I'm too vague and people don't get what I'm saying ha ha.

Saturday
My gerbils Astra and Twiglet are one year old today so I gave them their "real" presents: a grassy thing with hibiscus petals and a marigold tunnel.

agL1giXl.jpg

OmgEEmal.jpg

9UdyVovl.jpg

DS4qthXl.jpg

Later on I worked a bit on my rodent nutrition database project. The first version is here and I've been working on updating the database and notes, though it's a rather massive project. I use this database to create my gerbil and hamster food mixes.

The hamsters are just starting to wake up: Cali is running on her wheel, Leo is sitting in his food bowl pouching his food and Alex is asking to be let out of her cage (so I'd better go!) Combo usually gets up a bit later than the other hamsters but I expect I'll see him later.

What wonderful birthday presents for the girls. How exciting to celebrate their first birthday.

You are working wonders with your database.

Happy birthday Astra and Twiglet. Those birthday treats for the gerbil girls are very nice and astra and twiglet seem to be enjoying them a lot! Did you make the grassy thing with hibiscus petals? I haven't seen anything like that before but it looks really nice.

The rodent database is amazing and fascinating. It does sound a lot of work.

When you describe the hamsters waking up and doing their things, I have a vision of a lovely calm cosy small animal kingdom :)

Happy Birthday Astra and Twiglet. I hope you enjoy your presents. 💕

Happy birthday Astra and Twiglet, they look as though they’re enjoying their lovely presents.

Your database sounds interesting, I’ll have to come back for a good look at that later.

Sounds like a lovely evening with the hamsters all ready for some fun!

Happy Birthday Astra and Twiglet. Hope you are both enjoying your lovely looking presents.

Busy evening for you Daisy but it sounds as though you wouldn’t like it any other way!

Happy birthday Astra and Twiglet. Those birthday treats for the gerbil girls are very nice and astra and twiglet seem to be enjoying them a lot! Did you make the grassy thing with hibiscus petals? I haven't seen anything like that before but it looks really nice.

The rodent database is amazing and fascinating. It does sound a lot of work.

When you describe the hamsters waking up and doing their things, I have a vision of a lovely calm cosy small animal kingdom :)
I didn't make it but I can't remember what it's called unfortunately as I threw the packaging away. I think it's from Trixie. It's basically a big bundle of grass but gerbils like chewing that sort of thing to bits.

Sunday
I always take Sunday off work aside from the essential animal care such as feeding, but I don't send updates to owners (except in special circumstances e.g owner is exceptionally anxious or pet is ill) or answer emails etc. I find this beneficial as communicating with customers somehow gets quite exhausting!

We had a lovely family lunch and my mum tried a new pear and cinnamon crumble recipe which was delicious. Other than that I just relaxed really.

I've just quickly fed and checked on all the animals and I suppose that concludes this thread.

What a lovely way to end the thread with a birthday followed by pear and cinnamon crumble :-) Thank you - it's been fascinating. Hope it hasn't been too much extra with all your boarders as well!

Thank you for sharing your week. It's been a joy to read.

Albert and I look forward to hearing all about your adopted russian dwarf hamster soon 😉

Thank you so much for this very interesting and joyful week. Can't believe it's already over. I very much enjoyed your week and the busy life you lead in the company of so many cute animals.

Back