BSFL and Worms

uhsydney14

Reaction score
Hi!! I just wanted to come on here quickly to ask if dried mealworms, dried superworms, and dried black soldier dried larvae (BSFL) are okay to feed a small amount daily or are they considered more like treats?

Mealworms I would feed more as a treat, but bsfl could be a small amount daily. Super worms, I’m not sure. I’ve never fed them to Angel.

I'd also say mealworms are an occasional treat. Black soldier fly larvae tend to be added to a mix to increase protein so I wouldn't see them as a regular treat unless you're trying to increase the protein intake. I'm also not sure what superworms are! @Daisy might know.

Any of those I would limit to a couple a day (i.e a couple of mealworms or a couple of superworms/bsfl, not a couple of each) if fed as treats on top of a balanced main food. Mealworms and superworms are rather high in phosphorus and black soldier fly larvae (aka calci worms) are high in saturated fat so neither are ideal to feed lots of, though they can be worked into a balanced main mix.

Superworms are another type of beetle larvae and they're fairly similar nutritionally to mealworms.

Any of those I would limit to a couple a day (i.e a couple of mealworms or a couple of superworms/bsfl, not a couple of each) if fed as treats on top of a balanced main food. Mealworms and superworms are rather high in phosphorus and black soldier fly larvae (aka calci worms) are high in saturated fat so neither are ideal to feed lots of, though they can be worked into a balanced main mix.

Superworms are another type of beetle larvae and they're fairly similar nutritionally to mealworms.
This is very helpful, thank you so much!!

Back