Guest viewing is limited

Constructive criticism please!!!

hamjam

Reaction score
Cage for 1 year old male long-haired syrian. Is the divider a bad idea? I just added it today in the hopes of it keeping the deep bedding section from migrating down towards his wheel area. Is it too risky to have? Recon he'll hurt himself with it somehow? Cage is an IKEA Linmon.

Wooden wheel will soon be replaced with a plastic wheel, as I've been having major trouble cleaning it. Bedding is Kaytee, and yes there's a lid, it's just off for the pics :)

Attachments

• 20230815_202702.jpg
    20230815_202702.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230815_202727.jpg
    20230815_202727.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 27
The cage is looking great! If you pop the wheel on a platform then you will not have to worry about the bedding stopping the wheel and you can have deeeper bedding throughout the whole cage.

I would not personally use the divider.

The cage is looking great! If you pop the wheel on a platform then you will not have to worry about the bedding stopping the wheel and you can have deeeper bedding throughout the whole cage.

I would not personally use the divider.
Thanks! I really gotta look into getting some good platforms. They're useful for so many things!

I think the divider looks safe but you might find it doesn't stay up well. I find platforms work better than divider for keeping the wheel and other things above the bedding.

It looks great :-) I think the divider is fine - it has holes in so the hamsters can go to and from each area easily. On the other hand it means, if he decides to dig tunnels he can't get very far without hitting a wall, so that would be the main reason not to have it. It's tricky getting everything you want in a cage and levels etc. Even if the wheel was on a stand, it couldn't be that much higher up in the cage. But it would be a good move. Or you can just use another hamster house on the bottom of the cage under the substrate as a wheel stand.

I think it's fine as it is, but if you wanted to tweak it you could have no divider, wheel on a stand and instead of really deep bedding on the left, have less deep bedding but more level throughout the cage. The wheel area will probably always need to be a bit lower though. I have that issue as my wheel is huge (32cm) but I just sort of scoop a bit out in the wheel area so it slopes down a bit. You could still have sloping bedding with a deeper end even with no divider - it tends to stay put if you firm it down :)

Your hammy has a lovely home. What's his name?

On the other hand it means, if he decides to dig tunnels he can't get very far without hitting a wall, so that would be the main reason not to have it.
There's circular holes on the lower part of the divider thats underneath the bedding, I made those in the hope that if he were to burrow into it that he'd find one of the holes and use it rather than it blocking him!

but yeah... it's still restrictive... I think I'll leave it in for a couple of nights and observe how he uses it and then reassess :)
Your hammy has a lovely home. What's his name?
Thank you! His name is Louie, or "Lou" for short! :)

The divider is probably safe enough but you could make much better use of all the space you have for your ham if you bought or made platforms for the wheel & sand bath, there are some available to buy but they’re also easy to make if you just get hamster safe wood & dowels the length you want to glue on.

Actually - if you’re handy with diy and made the linmon, you could just screw the wheel to the cage side upside down, higher up. It would mean sawing the base off and just leaving the wood down piece stand. I’ve done that before in barred cages similarly. The base of the wheel has two screws in the bottom that come out easily. At one time the base woukd just come off easily once the screws were removed but these days they seem to be glued on as well so last time I did this I had to saw the base off.

Then you turn the wheel upside down - so the wood stand is pointing up and level with the top of the cage (allowing room for the lid to sit) then you’d need to drill two holes through the back of the linmon and through the back of the wheel stand and use two screws and a couple of large washers on the outside.

Then the wheel is the highest it will go and securely fixed to the cage and no platform needed :).

I’ve seen it done somewhere. It might save a bit of money.

Assuming that is the trixie wood wheel - which it looks like.

Actually - if you’re handy with diy and made the linmon, you could just screw the wheel to the cage side upside down, higher up. It would mean sawing the base off and just leaving the wood down piece stand. I’ve done that before in barred cages similarly. The base of the wheel has two screws in the bottom that come out easily. At one time the base woukd just come off easily once the screws were removed but these days they seem to be glued on as well so last time I did this I had to saw the base off.

Then you turn the wheel upside down - so the wood stand is pointing up and level with the top of the cage (allowing room for the lid to sit) then you’d need to drill two holes through the back of the linmon and through the back of the wheel stand and use two screws and a couple of large washers on the outside.

Then the wheel is the highest it will go and securely fixed to the cage and no platform needed :).

I’ve seen it done somewhere. It might save a bit of money.

Assuming that is the trixie wood wheel - which it looks like.
Thank you! I've been waiting for his new wheel to arrive- it's coming today. This is the wheel I would be attaching, thanks for the idea! I will probably do this if I can with his new one :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816_090501_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816_090501_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 5
That looks nice :-). I’m not sure how easy it would be to drill through a Perspex stand! I would be to nervous if cracking or damaging the Perspex. A platform may be better for that some. Unless you’re confident with the drilling!

I've decided I'm gonna remove the divider, I'm worried he's hurt himself, look at these clips the camera took last night!

Attachments

• c8ba1612e5780fffafb2c2bcfeb0daba.png
    c8ba1612e5780fffafb2c2bcfeb0daba.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 066b281d59a0cf8f61008a98c6bec63f.png
    066b281d59a0cf8f61008a98c6bec63f.png
    161.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2839c0cbb76e078a2e12f0a2f5f4b7fa.png
    2839c0cbb76e078a2e12f0a2f5f4b7fa.png
    166.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 3a18e84ac50e94781b1e84be3b7d7d1e.png
    3a18e84ac50e94781b1e84be3b7d7d1e.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 12
Happy Henry’s homes maje good platforms and they’re not too expensive. And you can choose whatever leg length you want to have the platform at the height you want. From 8cm legs up to 30cm legs :)

Typical hamster! Always going the difficult way! He seems active enough anyway!

Happy Henry’s homes maje good platforms and they’re not too expensive. And you can choose whatever leg length you want to have the platform at the height you want. From 8cm legs up to 30cm legs :)

Prefect! I will be ordering some!

I think it was a good idea to remove the divider. I have Niteangel wheels and love them. Are you in the US? If so you could get Niteangel platforms.

Reactions: Maz
Or just make one as Elusive suggested. You just need a piece of wood and some screws. You can buy the dowels for legs online in all different sizes. I went for the easier option and bought one.

Back