Critter tubing.

Helens hamster

Reaction score
I have just got a Syrian today and it won’t come out of its tubing. I do realise he’s new and scared which is why he has done it but I have 2 cages which I have attached together so he has got more space and is the right floor space. The tubing is going round the back of both cages.These are both full of enrichment for him. Do I wait and see after his settling period or do I literally just have one piece of tubing between both cages.? I’d love to know your advice please. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Maz
Hello and welcome to the forum. What a cute little hammy you have, what's his name?
I don't think you need to worry, I would suggest just letting him settle in a bit and I'm sure once he has checked everything out he will come out and look for a more permanent place to make his home. The tunnels are a natural habitat so its not uncommon that they move into those first (ours did), and perhaps you would need to remove them in the future so he finds a more suitable place to call home but it's way to soon to worry about that, most move out on their own in time.
It looks like a lovely big set up you have there, as long as he has plenty of deep bedding so he can make his own tunnels, and has plenty of food and fresh water I'm sure he will be a happy little ham.
There are so many very knowledgeable people on this forum that love hamsters, you have found the right place for any questions you have.

Hello and welcome to the forum. What a cute little hammy you have, what's his name?
I don't think you need to worry, I would suggest just letting him settle in a bit and I'm sure once he has checked everything out he will come out and look for a more permanent place to make his home. The tunnels are a natural habitat so its not uncommon that they move into those first (ours did), and perhaps you would need to remove them in the future so he finds a more suitable place to call home but it's way to soon to worry about that, most move out on their own in time.
It looks like a lovely big set up you have there, as long as he has plenty of deep bedding so he can make his own tunnels, and has plenty of food and fresh water I'm sure he will be a happy little ham.
There are so many very knowledgeable people on this forum that love hamsters, you have found the right place for any questions you have.
Thank you for your reply!
Frankie is now exploring his cage so I’m relieved and tunnelling in his Carefresh! I’ve had lots of hamsters in my life but not used these cage’s before so I was concerned about the tubes that’s all.

Reactions: Maz
Hi. This is quite common and the solution is usually to remove the plastic tubing and block it off - did the cage come with tube blockers? I think plastic tubes connecting cages basically skew the hamster's normal habits so they nest and pee in them and block them off. And it gets messy and smelly and then needs cleaning out more often, which upsets the hamster! When they dig their own tunnels, they naturally block themselves in - for security presumably - but can easily tunnel out again in a different direction.

The other thing that works well is a multiroom house with different chambers. The hamsters seem to see that as a ready made burrow and will nest in one room, pee in a toilet in a different room and hoard in another room (or sometimes bury hoards under the nest) so the deeper the bedding, the more natural their behaviours as well. Some hamsters will actually just make a large burrow underneath a multiroom house with a sleeping chamber and a hoard section and use the multiroom house as a "safe" entrance and exit - because it's dark and covered over.

So I'd suggest just removing the tunnels and blocking them off :-) People found the same issues with the Hamster Heaven cage and once the plastic tunnels were removed and blocked off, and the hamster had a large house on top of the substrate, they started having normal behaviours again :-)

How are the two cages joined together? Is it just by the tunnels or some other way? Also, which country are you in? Uk? I'm trying to work out which cages they are :-)

Just to add. If the cages are only joined together by the tubes, it would be better to have one larger cage 😊. Although I realise you’ve probably just bought these two!

Just to add. If the cages are only joined together by the tubes, it would be better to have one larger cage 😊. Although I realise you’ve probably just bought these two!
Hya Maz,
That’s what I thought. Do I take the tubing out now or wait until the first clean as I don’t want to stress him out? You know I wish I had just bought one cage now but at least he does have more space. I really can’t afford to buy another but I will make sure he has lots of enrichment but obviously if he starts to chew the bars or any other stress signs then of course I will seriously think about changing.

Can I ask - have you only just bought the cages? If it’s from Pets at home, some people take them back for a refund - you just say it’s not big enough for the hamster. Even if it’s been used - people do get a refund. They are not cheap - especially if you bought two. They sell the Savic plaza for £80 which is an ideal size for a Syrian - and has a big front opening door. It could be worth a try - especially if you say you’re buying a plaza from them 😊

If the tubes are removed for now - how would he get between the two cages?

This is the Savic Plaza cage

The PAH XL is £45 so two of those would be £90 - you’d save £10! I would definitely give it a go.

What some people have done is had the refund agreed and also had it agreed that they don’t need to return the cafes until the hamster is moved to the new cage. So the hamster doesn’t get left without a cage or you don’t have to fork out for the new one first.

Back