Dig box ideas...

Frida

Hamster Mum
Reaction score
I'm looking for dig box ideas for inside Albert's HH cage.

- What to use for a container.
- Size of container.
- What to put in it.

Thank you 😊

The size depends on what size space you have. You can also do what Beryl does and have dig boxes out for free roaming.

If it helps mine can be seen in the post your cages thread.

Orko likes aspen, coco soil and beech chips. Coconut husk chips are nice too.

You could use anything for a container really, a plastic one like you used for your sand bath or a cardboard box is fine, you could even use a large jar on it’s side.
Beech chips & coir are the most popular things to use.
As for size it really depends on how much space you have in the cage, you still want to leave room for burrowing & other items in the cage so you wouldn’t want to take up too much of the available space.
It might be a better idea to have dig boxes for out of cage time.

The size depends on what size space you have. You can also do what Beryl does and have dig boxes out for free roaming.

If it helps mine can be seen in the post your cages thread.

Orko likes aspen, coco soil and beech chips. Coconut husk chips are nice too.
Thank you 😊 I'll check out your cages thread later. My phone is running very low on battery.

You could use anything for a container really, a plastic one like you used for your sand bath or a cardboard box is fine, you could even use a large jar on it’s side.
Beech chips & coir are the most popular things to use.
As for size it really depends on how much space you have in the cage, you still want to leave room for burrowing & other items in the cage so you wouldn’t want to take up too much of the available space.
It might be a better idea to have dig boxes for out of cage time.
Thank you 😊

A few ideas here on this thread :) I don’t have dig boxes but like the idea. Our Robo has so much stuff in his cage there’s no room for one really. I’m not sure what Raffy would do with one out of the cage but it would be interesting to see. Since he’s had his multiroom house he has stopped doing any digging in the cage.

A few ideas here on this thread :) I don’t have dig boxes but like the idea. Our Robo has so much stuff in his cage there’s no room for one really. I’m not sure what Raffy would do with one out of the cage but it would be interesting to see. Since he’s had his multiroom house he has stopped doing any digging in the cage.

Thank you 😊

Albert's new dig box. An old sandwich box and chopped up Amazon box. Cost zero pence 😊🐹💕

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230306-103219-107.png
    Screenshot_20230306-103219-107.png
    518 KB · Views: 10
Sound on. You can hear Albert nibbling and the cardboard moving around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw, Albert had lots of fun digging! He is so cute.

Reactions: Maz
It's a very clever idea using chopped up cardboard. I hope your hands aren't still hurting!

Albert's new dig box. An old sandwich box and chopped up Amazon box. Cost zero pence 😊🐹💕
Thanks for sharing great Idea using a sandwich box!! I will be doing the same for my baby hamburger.

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Back