Dig boxes

Member ID2

Former Member
Reaction score
Just been to the garden centre for a 85l bag of Kaytee (£22.99) and found this litter tray (£4.99) which is an ideal dig box for the playground.

I'm currently using storage boxes but Lilly is too short to get in and Clive jumps out instead of using the access bridge.

I need two of those trays but the other one was pink and i can't cope with that. They'll order some more in.

20230116_122044.jpg

That looks great. I hope they can get you another blue one soon. :)

I know what you mean about not bringing yourself to get something large and pink! Was it baby pink? Some people love pink though. I have a Sputnik that is half pink but it’s a very dark pink - quite a nice colour.

That is three members on here now who do not want anything pink! Lol. The duna multi used to come in various colours, including a grim brown colour. They really should do market research on colours! But I'm guessing pink appeals to a lot of people which is why they make them. A lot of people used to wish the maxi duna came in a different colour and not just beige!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet some people love pink themed cages! Each to their own :) I think the Zoozone was like that as well wasn't it? Only in blue or baby pink?

😂😂 our hamster heaven had bright pink shelves and hides, in fact I’ve still got the bright pink shelf inside. I don’t mind a bit of pink and think Hams is completely indifferent, as long as the food keeps arriving he doesn’t care 😁

I’d not thought of a separate dig box in the play area but like this idea, thanks Beryl 👍

Aw that is lovely. Funny how they all have different substrate preferences. I spotted Orko hiding seeds in his coco fibre box.

I can just imagine them hunting treats in the beech chips, sounds like fun!

How big are your various dig boxes and are they in the cages? (as opposed to used during free roam time) I have a slim shoe box filled with coconut fiber right now and a corner sandbox. Wally does use them, but the sandbox is so small compared to his size that I think he covers most of it just by sitting in it. I'm toying with taking a larger plastic container and giving him either a larger sandbox or a larger coconut fiber box. Anyone with opinions about this for a Syrian?

I have a playbin i use like a sensory room. Keeps it all contained. Currently it has a coco soil dig box and a snuffle box, sand and a wheel.
The beech chips dig box is in the free roaming area and big enough for them to have a proper dig.
I think the blue dig box is a cat litter tray.
They are too big for their cages.

Hmm. I like that idea. Maybe now that we've figured out how to get Wally out once a night before we go to bed, we can create a sensory play area for him.

My dig boxes are from Happy Henry Homes such as this one:

I have a sand box, coco fibre, aspen box. I had a beech chips one but my hamster likes a particular hide so I chose that over the beech chip box.

Hi Clacombe, I use beech chips for our Syrian’s dig box which is in a shoe box but he only uses it while free roaming. We only have a small sand tray and I’ve thought of trying to find a different tray to fit half sand / half beech chips perhaps as our Syrian seems to prefer a dig about to burrowing.

Last edited:
I don't have a dig box (it's a nice idea). Our Syrian doesn't sit still long enough to do anything other than eat, sleep, hoard and want out of the cage :-). But then his sensory bit is free roaming and exploring.

The dig boxes are in the freeroaming area here for them to share.

Today i've moved everything into the 64l rub playbox which sits on a dolly trolley.

They lost the wheel but there are lots of wheels in the freeroaming area including the one from the playbox.

I was never entirely comfortable with dwarf Lilly jumping out of the big dig box and was worried that she could land awkwardly one day.

I hide food and treats in the boxes and the hamsters love digging for them.

20230303_151739.jpg20230303_151854.jpg

The dig boxes are in the freeroaming area here for them to share.

Today i've moved everything into the 64l rub playbox which sits on a dolly trolley.

They lost the wheel but there are lots of wheels in the freeroaming area including the one from the playbox.

I was never entirely comfortable with dwarf Lilly jumping out of the big dig box and was worried that she could land awkwardly one day.

I hide food and treats in the boxes and the hamsters love digging for them.

View attachment 1680View attachment 1681
That looks fantastic!

Back