Does my hammy look pregnant to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mochi Bear

Reaction score
Basically I got her from an "all girls" store this previous Wednesday, she was paired with another "girl" but last year I got a boy hamster from there, that the workers kept claiming he was a girl 😅 even though he clearly had balls! So it's very possible that girl hamster she was paired with was her mate.

Also I gave her some tp and she started nesting, I know that's normal for hamsters but if I'm being honest I'm on the households 6th hamster and never seen it nest anything but hoard food in places.

Let me know what ya think. Vet said not to bring her in case because it could be dangerous if she is pregnant in late stage.Screenshot_20230707_205237_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230707_205212_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230707_205345_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230707_205316_Gallery.jpgIMG_20230707_152858_004.jpg

Hi. It’s difficult to tell but she does look pregnant to me and probably ready to give birth quite soon. You can see what look like baby bumps on her side on one photo. She is really beautiful.

If she is about to give birth then she will be building a big nest, even though it’s normal for them to build a nest.

The most important thing is to not disturb her cage or nest and just put food and water out. Don’t be tempted to poke around in the nest to see if there are babies or she could cull them.

So basically do nothing but put out food and water until you see babies emerging from the nest on their own. Some people say you shouldn’t even be too close to the cage or stand there looking. So do the feeding when she’s asleep.

You’ll need to take her wheel out as well.

Basically don’t clean anything or even spot clean until after you see babies emerging from the nest independently.

She looks well, which is good. You should see her coming out for food and nesting material each day. Put extra food out and extra veg each day. Check she seems ok when you see her - just visually from a distance. If she starts looking unwell, take her to the vet. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Hi. It’s difficult to tell but she does look pregnant to me and probably ready to give birth quite soon. You can see what look like baby bumps on her side on one photo. She is really beautiful.

If she is about to give birth then she will be building a big nest, even though it’s normal for them to build a nest.

The most important thing is to not disturb her cage or nest and just put food and water out. Don’t be tempted to poke around in the nest to see if there are babies or she could cull them.

So basically do nothing but put out food and water until you see babies emerging from the nest on their own. Some people say you shouldn’t even be too close to the cage or stand there looking. So do the feeding when she’s asleep.

You’ll need to take her wheel out as well.

Basically don’t clean anything or even spot clean until after you see babies emerging from the nest independently.
Right i showed my mom and she agreed, she does look pregnant even from the side. I joined the discord server from the r/hamsters page. They have agreed she is pregnant too but I wanted to get a second opinion! They also gave me lots of great advice and I feel some what knowledgeable and am excited to help her get through this! Thank you for the advice as well 🥰

She does look pregnant to me as well.
What a gorgeous hamster!
She's lucky that you are acknowledging the situation for what it is and that she has your support to help her through it.
I hope all goes well.

Hi and welcome to the forum, your hamster is gorgeous. Wishing you all the best wt the new arrivals.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Lovely photos of your hamster. What's her name? ☺️

Hello and welcome to the forum. You're hammy looks adorable and I hope she settles in quickly. I'm sorry you are finding yourself dealing with a potentially pregnant hamster. I had a similar problem when I got my first guinea pigs. She was pregnant and it was a nerve wracking time.

I'd count the day you got her as day 1. I believe pregnancy lasts 3 weeks in syrian hamsters so you should know by July 19 (approx). You won't see the babies but potential mum to be will look skinnier. Finger's crossed all goes well and she's just a chunky girl.

It’s 16 to 17 days for Syrians. Do you know how old she is? And assume she seems well enough? (Just in case it’s some medical issue rather than pregnancy).

Some breeders say 15 to 18 days. The MSD says 16 to 17 days. Dwarfs 18 to 22 days so yes that’s about three weeks for dwarfs. I thought Robos were 20 to 22 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back