Dumbo! and Myself

CreamSicleSnake

Reaction score
Hello I’m new to this site and just adopted my Syrian hamster (Dumbo) today! (I got him off of Craigslist because I don’t support pet stores or breeding mills.) Anyways right now he’s sleeping in a 75 gallon tank (his quarantine enclosure) and I’m so excited to learn more about them! This is my second hamster I’ve owned and even though I think my knowledge of hamsters is pretty wide I still think I can learn some things while also maybe potentially helping others.

As for myself, I’m someone who rescues different types of animals (such as reptiles, small mammals), I want to someday open a pet store or start a rescue. I also enjoy spending time doing art, such as making background for tanks or just drawing. That’s all I can think of right now but if you have any questions let me know!

• Love
Reactions: Maz
Hello and welcome :-) Dumbo has a great tank - he's a lucky boy. Do you have a photo of him? If there's anything you want to know about hamsters, you're in the right place.

We have another hamster called Dumbo on here as well :-)

Currently I don’t because he immediately went to go hide but he’s black with a pink nose and some white on his legs and stomach, I think he’s older due to his fur turning brown

He sounds a bit like Socks in appearance 🥰

I love what you’re doing for dumbo!!! When you post his cage, I’d love to give recommendations if you would like!! It’s so nice to meet dumbo 😍

Reactions: Maz
Also it was hard to get a good picture of him but I just bought him some more treats and toys (don’t worry I removed the weird yarn from the carrot so it doesn’t get stuck in his mouth), also the hide in the back is not something I’d normally use for hamsters cause they will eat the plastic, I’m replacing it with a cork log/hide once I bake them today

Attachments

• 3B030E68-EA13-4416-BE31-DA4F39177934.jpeg
    3B030E68-EA13-4416-BE31-DA4F39177934.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 9
I love what you’re doing for dumbo!!! When you post his cage, I’d love to give recommendations if you would like!! It’s so nice to meet dumbo 😍
Aw thank you! Here’s a picture of my last hamsters quarantine bin! Sadly he passed away before I could upgrade him, with Dumbo I plan on upgrading him in about a month to a longer and taller enclosure

Attachments

• 78F7ECDE-556C-4715-9CEC-6E6E6E094A91.jpeg
    78F7ECDE-556C-4715-9CEC-6E6E6E094A91.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 5
He's so sweet. Look at that little face. A 75 gallon tank is actually a very good enclosure for him - unless you prefer a different type with a front opening door maybe?

He's so sweet. Look at that little face. A 75 gallon tank is actually a very good enclosure for him - unless you prefer a different type with a front opening door maybe?
I plan to diy a tank from ikea because a lot of the wooden ones I was going to buy look smaller than I thought, I’ll probably buy one of those display cases and make a custom lid because I really want him to have a long tank with lots of clutter

Just beware, some of the display cases are hard to get a good height, like the ikea detolf. It can be very hard to fit a good amount of bedding!

Ikea don't sell the detolf any more either unfortunately. They do do the Platsa though and that can make a reasonable priced diy cage.

There's a thread on Ikea diy cages here

The 75 gallon tank you have is a good option though!

Back