Eye infection ?

unstinatsu

Reaction score
Hello everyone I need your help on identifying what my baby has :(
She have something weird around one eye and I don't t know what this is.
Looks like the fur is gone around the eye and turning the rest yellow ( blood maybe ? ).
can someone give me a hint on what to do please it's my first hamster I'm still lost on things.
Thanks all.
Screenshot_20240506_050855_Gallery.jpg

You definitely need to take her to the vet as she needs prescription only medication for this. Please make an appointment today. It would be wise to prevent infection to any other animals and possibly yourself by washing your hands after contact with her or anything she has touched. Good luck. Please take her to the vet 🙏

Reactions: Maz
The vet needs to do a skin scraping to confirm the diagnosis and only a vet can do this. It is very important to take her to the vet as soon as you posdiblt can.

Sorry for the typo, posdiblt should be possibly.

Hello & welcome to the forum.

I can’t really tell from the photo but eye infections are quite ommon in hamsters but usually get better with treatment, most often eye drops.
I would take her to the vet see what they say.

Reactions: Maz
Hello and welcome 😊

It does look like an eye infection. It can stain the fur round the eye with secretions. The vet will probably prescribe antibiotics as elusive says. Sometimes they will give oral antibiotics rather than eye drops but see what they say. It is really important to get it looked at and treated though as if untreated the infection could spread and their eyes are very close to their brain. It could also be painful for your hammy.

She is very sweet looking 😊. Do keep us updated on how you get on. Do you have a vet? If not Google ones in your region and phone around them. Ideally it should be an exotic vet as they know more about hamsters. If that’s not possible, most general vets will know what to do in this case 😊.

Last edited:
Back