Favourite hamster items and toys

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Here's my list:

1) Hyacinth tunnel small (fits syrians and dwarf hamsters) - not easy to get hold of these days.

2) Rat sputnik - cheaper here than on Amazon. Looks like they have some new colours and some with pictures on etc

3) Trio of balls - I use the hyacinth ball in the cage and sometimes stick pumpkin seeds into it so the hamster has fun getting them out. The sisal ball I use for sisal string! I don't use the wicker one as it looks a bit scratchy but it's probably fine if you check for sharp bits

4) Coloured bendy bridge that screws to the bars. Not because it's coloured particularly (although they look fun) but because it's smooth wood and no gaps like some bendy bridges. Plus - it screws to the bars! In any shape you want. Unfortunately the seller of these only sells them as a pack with two small shelves now. The two small shelves are quite good as well - I've used them as steps before. But annoying you can't just buy two bendy bridges without the shelves. And it makes it more expensive buying the pack with the shelves.

5) Rainbow bridge - all our hamsters have liked this. Too small for syrians to go under it but they like running over it.

6) Loofah hanging toy - doesn't do a lot but adds a bit of colour and you could put treats on the flat bits

7) Carrot and hay cottage. I use this out of cage usually but sometimes in the cage pushed down a bit to make a kind of step. I freeze it for a week first in case there are any bugs in the hay! Door is a bit small for Syrians but they manage as it's open underneath - plus you can cut the door bigger as it's made of cardboard.

8) This coconut hut - the opening is a good size for Syrians - there are other makes too but some have openings that aren't quite big enough for Syrians.

9) Wood vegetable shaped nibble sticks - that have a fruity scent/flavour. Most of our hamsters have gone potty for the carrot one in particular! And they look quite colourful (and are safe to chew - Rosewood stuff usually is)

10) Fuzzbutts mini snooze cube - for out of cage use (a bit risky to put in the cage in case it gets chewed). I love these and use them for transferring a hamster from a to be as well - they just hop in and you put your hand over the entrance so they don't jump out. They like it as an out of cage hide and I use it to lift them in and out of a pet carrier as well so it's nicer for them being taken in and out of the pet carrier - it's a cosy hide. Big enough for Syrians. However it has a second door in the back seam which is fine for an out of cage toy, but if using it to carry the hamster in that second door needs nipping closed by hand (or I use a bulldog clip). I also snip off the tags and hanging d rings so nothing to get feet caught in. It's easy to put inside the cage temporarily for a hamster to walk into.

11) This Savic rat tube - for syrians mainly - either for in or out of the cage - looks lovely and well made - also longer than some other rat tubes. But not the chains - easy for a hamster to end up hanging by a broken leg - so sisal string instead of the chains.

12) Roborovski sand bath from Rodipet - this is a bit of an extravagance as any dish can be used as a sand bath but this one is great and works so well for a robo. The slight cover on it (which also stops sand flying out through bars).

13) Cardboard! Cheap or even free - and can be used to make all sorts - old tissue boxes or shoe boxes and kitchen roll tubes slit down one side. Cardboard egg boxes for hammocks or hides

14) This potty litter tray

Last edited:
I second the items in the above list plus:

Wooden logs with holes. Dwarfs love to run in an out of those.
Available online and in petshops in various sizes.
Screenshot_20221018-074352_Samsung Internet.jpg

Wundapets ceramic hides. Available in three colours but it's not possible to choose a colour. They will send what they have in stock but they are all lovely.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221018-074713_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20221018-074713_Samsung Internet.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Those logs with holes in are great for dwarfies and robos :). I must get one! Usually the holes aren't big enough for syrians so buyer beware with that for Syrians because if they get stuck in a hole it's a serious emergency. So check hole diameters - needs to be at least 5 to 6cm diameter for a Syrian. Rodipet and Getzoo do make logs like that with larger holes for Syrians. It's actually difficult finding stuff for Syrians sometimes - especially big chunky syrians!

These are the ones rodipet do for Syrians - but they're not cheap!

Also I forgot to add - cork logs! They are some of my favourite things for in a cage. It saves having to try and make a ramp up to a shelf or find a ladder that attaches properly. I get the largest size (Even for dwarf hamsters) as it's nice for them to run over and an interesting texture. Plus a nice big tunnel to run through. The smaller size is ok as well but the larger size is a way of giving overhead cover in a tank style cage as it's higher up - and also makes a good ramp up to a shelf, if you push it partway under the shelf at an angle. I'll try and find a photo of what I mean there!

The thing with the cork logs is - the ones often sold online can be really really long and not fit in a cage and you can't choose the size - and some need a lot of cleaning up. The rodipet ones are the right size for a cage and better quality. But again they are not cheap! I have bought cork bark pieces on Amazon before though and they are good - I have one on the substrate as a step up to a wheel or you can screw them into the bars to make little shelves or steps. They're very light so don't sink in the substrate and easy to screw into.

There's the postage with Rodipet as well. But - the postage is the same whether you buy one item or a few items so can be best to get a few things you want at the same time.

Rodipet is a bit active though! This is another favourite item for keeping nails worn down. They have this rough granite tile - it's great for putting on a shelf or house roof, under a water bottle or food bowl. So every time they go to eat or drink their nails get a bit roughened down regularly. The same thing can be achieved with a terracotta plant pot base or sterilised stones though.

It also doubles up as a cool place to sit and cool off in hot weather.

Last edited:
Something else to add to my list - sandpaper!

120 grit and 240 grit - a sheet of each costs pennies from a diy store and is extremely useful to have around if you have a hamster. Some things arrive with the odd splintery bit and it literally takes a minute to smooth off a splintery bit. Splinters are not good for hamsters!

Last edited:
I buy cork tunnels in reptile shops so i can choose the size i want. One of my Robos has a Y shaped cork tunnel with two exits and loves it.

That sounds great - yes better to see them first.

We love our bendy tunnels but realise as they are plastic they are not ideal to be left in the cage but great for free roaming fun and playpen time :)

I buy cork tunnels in reptile shops so i can choose the size i want. One of my Robos has a Y shaped cork tunnel with two exits and loves it.
I’ve never thought of trying a reptile shop for these, great idea (y)

We love our bendy tunnels but realise as they are plastic they are not ideal to be left in the cage but great for free roaming fun and playpen time :)
Hello and welcome!

Are you worried that your hamster may nest in a plastic tunnel?
I quite like the large wicker tunnels inside their cages. One of our Syrians built a summer nest inside one.

Hello Zara! Yes those long bendy tunnels are brilliant for out of cage time - and for various things - I used one stretched out, leading into the hamster cage, after our Syrian escaped! He was tempted up the tunnel back into the cage. I've seen them used in cages as well and that's ok too - although I think you need to check the edges for sharp bits if used in the cage. One I had wasn't finished very well at the ends and had a sharp plastic bit which I sorted out.

Hello and welcome!

Are you worried that your hamster may nest in a plastic tunnel?
I quite like the large wicker tunnels inside their cages. One of our Syrians built a summer nest inside one.
I've a large one in the bottom of our cage curved in an L shape bend in one corner. But someone told me they are dangerous to be kept in cages incase of chewing. Luckily, our hamster has never attempted to chew it.

He uses it for hiding and eating treats and slept in it during the really hot weather this year. I was a bit concerned as didn't think the ventilation would be particularly good but we kept an eye on him and he was all good.

I've a cardboard tube at the back of our cage, but something larger would be great. I'll take a look at the wicker ones if they are good for Syrians. Some of my online purchases have been two small for our Syrian.

Reactions: Maz
I don't think they are dangerous in cages - I've seen one stretched around the back bars or across the cage top between two sputniks! I doubt a hamster would chew it and you know your hamster and would keep an eye on it. It sounds like he just went in it too cool off in the hot weather which sounds normal. Our Syrian deposits favourite thing in a tube as well. It's true there is some wire in them which could poke out if the tube was chewed but - depends if your hamster is a chewy hamster! I've had those tubes for years and never known a hamster try and chew them. It's something to be aware of though certainly. But if yours hasn't chewed it before he's not likely to.

The wicker tunnels are nice. I also like the savic rat tube which is quite long - but a pringles tube is cheaper!. It can make a nice little diy project. One owner wrapped her pringles tube with sisal string wound round it so it looked natural. Assume she pasted some school glue on the tube so the sisal string stayed in place!

Obviously a pringles tube needs a clean out! Or it could be a bit salty inside :cool:

The wicker tunnel in the cage measures 10cm across and the seagrass tunnel in the playground 12cm across.

20221021_213136.jpg20221021_213219.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These are nice too - but hard to get hold of these days. Thanks to a tip from Beryl I found them in stock at Hope's Healthy treats. They are nice and soft and chewable (not that any of ours have ever chewed them) and the holes in the sides are cute. They are good for in or out of the cage. I've even used one as a ramp up to a shelf before by tying it to the side/back of the cage at an angle. But then you have to make sure the holes are in the right place so they don't fall out of the bottom! The small size is fine for all sizes of Syrians.

Our first hamster (who was quite a lazy dozy boy which was nice as he'd fall asleep on you) used to go to sleep in it sometimes :)P4091179.jpgP4091187.jpgP4091189.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to add grapevine wood. I think they are brilliant for enrichment. Ideal to use as a little bridge for robo hamsters too plus the enjoyment of climbing on them. I know you can buy them in reptile shops. I found brilliant ones on a website called Northampton reptile centre.

I would like to add the sin rabbit, guinea pig and hamster houses. My roborovski has two of them and they are well used.

I got them on amazon.

Edit to add, what a dangerous thread this is. Just ordered a pink sputnik and some hamster food from rat rations.

It is dangerous isn't it ha ha. I've used the Sin guinea pig and rabbit houses before - the rabbit house isn't so huge and equivalent to a labyrinth house without the rooms - big enough to put a litter tray inside. The guinea pig house is good as a hamster house or a platform to stand heavy things on. I did get a couple of bad ones though - don't know if it was pandemic quality control. I'd sent for the rabbit house for Raffy initially and although it was plastic wrapped the whole thing was covered in splinters - I started sanding it and gave up and sent it back! So Raffy got a shoebox house until his Rodipet house arrived. I've had a guinea pig houses where the roof didn't fit on either and sent that back too. I guess that's all you can do is exchange them if you're unlucky like that.

So quality control is a big thing these days - my flying saucer arrived warped!

A warped flying saucer!

All my sin houses have been fine. Luck of the draw. The tiny ones are just sooo cute!

Reactions: Maz
Back