Ferplast Furet XL 80cm x 75cm

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
With A J mentioning the Ferplast Furet models it reminded me of this 80 x 75cm one. If it wasn't so expensive, I've always thought it would be a really good sized hamster cage with a front opening door - providing there was a full solid level half way up.

It has about 930 square inches of floor space in the base, and that's without counting another full level. Plus a large front door. Somehow it being more square appeals as well (although maybe hard to reach in back corners).

Such a shame it is so expensive! I guess it's the cost of two cages, due to the double height.

What a rip off! I am shocked by the price. Lol. I make it 899 square inches. I do not think it is worth the price.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz
I think it would be a very awkward cage to use for a hamster due to its height and lack of a top door. I can't really see the point of a high cage with a solid level for a hamster.
Also, it would be impossible to set up and spot clean the top floor.

It does have a top door, but that would only be for the top part of the cage above the level, when in use with a level. Good point it would be tricky to set up (and reach to the back). I wonder how rat owners manage with it. I was just thinking size/floor space was very good for a cage. Much more than a 100 x 50 cage but not as much as a 120 x 50 cage.

Rats don't need a solid level like a hamster would. I didn't realize that it had a top door but i still think it's impractical for a hamster.
Sure, the 80cm x 75cm floor space would be good if it was manufactured for a hamster and a lot lower.

Yes not very practical. A full level would need making. Main issue is the cost of it! It would be great if they made one half the height for half the cost!

Was that the one that Rainbow posted about? Actually no I think that one was a modular thing on wheels. So no I haven't seen that before. It looks like a taller version of a maxi duna multy in a way as it's about the same floor area. Although does it have a front opening door?

It says it has a front and top door. Only came across it tonight and haven't had a good look yet. I think it's part bars and part acrylic panel.

Forget that! Just had a look on Amazon. The Bucatstate cages are way too expensive.

I could only see the smaller ones on Amazon and even they were over £200! Some good ideas there part perspex, part barred cage - but just not enough large ones and far too expensive. I know perspex cages always do cost more but ...........

Wouldn't it be nice to go into manufacture and create the perfect cage. Problem is - the set up costs.

The 100cm one is on tinylittlefrenz.com and cheaper. They have 3 different models. Bars and panels and a big front door it says.

I quite like the idea but not the price.

Reactions: Maz
I used one similar to this for the rats. They are very high. I stacked 2 on top of each other and it was ~5ft. Perfect for a pair of trio of rats but the height for a hamster would be problematic.

Two full levels needed then maybe. Or one full level and deep substrate. It's not a very cost efficient cage though for the price and difficult accessibility. There are so few very large cages around though. I'm sure someone had this for a hamster once.

Back