Ferplast Multipla cage

Daisy

Choose your own title - message admin
Food Guru
Reaction score
I came across this curious cage today - Ferplast Multipla.

In style it's reminiscent of the C&C cages used for guinea pigs. It's unfortunately not very big - 72x37cm - but it can apparently be expanded. I hope this means expansion to form a single space rather than just adding new cages on using tubes. Since the cage is £130 (£90 currently as it's on sale), it would work out terribly expensive to construct one big enough for most hamsters.

The base looks a nice depth. The overall height of the cage is 42cm and the base appears to be nearly half of that, which is great.

One major drawback is that it doesn't appear to have any front doors, although the top can come off entirely.

Overall, I find this cage intriguing. I love the novel concept of a modular hamster cage that can be expanded to form a single large cage. This particular too expensive to be a realistic option for me, but perhaps other manufacturers will take the concept and produce more affordable and better versions.

I'm interested to know what others think?

Reactions: Maz
Links to different versions of the cage:

In spite of the cost, I do love the idea of being able to expand your hamster's cage without buying a whole new cage, and without disrupting the hamster too much (you can just add a new section on).

I watched the video and I am not keen. I do not like the plastic tubes and I also think it looks pretty flimsy. Rather then having a cage that can be expanded I think it should have been a cage with a decent size as I can imagine people not bothering to expand. Being 73cm kind of sounds like they are saying that is an okay size in the first place. I also feel it can be built very high and a hamster could have an accident.

I watched the video and I am not keen. I do not like the plastic tubes and I also think it looks pretty flimsy. Rather then having a cage that can be expanded I think it should have been a cage with a decent size as I can imagine people not bothering to expand. Being 73cm kind of sounds like they are saying that is an okay size in the first place. I also feel it can be built very high and a hamster could have an accident.

I looked up the video on Youtube and can see what you mean. It doesn't look very chew proof at all.

I think they should have made the base unit 80x50cm, with extension units of about 20cm long, so you can expand it to 100cm, 120cm, and so on.

A nice idea, but perhaps not very well executed.

I came across those the other day! I was looking up the Criceti 100. I also thought it seemed a great idea until I saw the depth of the cages was only 37cm which is really disappointing. So you can make them longer presumably but not deeper? Or maybe you can extend them sideways as well? If it was a long length then 37cm might be ok for a dwarf hamster perhaps but it's not very deep at all. Don't you just wish these designers would consult hamster owners first?! It's a possitive it allows for deep bedding. If they can be extended to be deeper as well as longer then it could be a great idea. How flimsy are they? The Plaza can be a bit flimsy until it's all put together properly.

It is intriguing! I just watched the assembly video too (linked below). It looks VERY fiddly to put together! Lots of tiny little pieces! It does come with a really large wheel though! Also if you look towards the end of the video, it's possible to create a kind of right angle cage that's quite large - so even though it's only 37cm deep, it's like a deep square cage with a corner cut out. Which isn't bad. They seem to have a rabbit version that's bigger/deeper as well. Presumably the bar spacing is bigger on that. I wonder if you can buy the parts separately and use the hamster bars on the rabbit version (at a cost probably!). The external tubes can be blocked off with end pieces. I think most Ferplast cages have the option to join them together with tubes. Which isn't too bad if it's just a short tube in a large cage. As opposed to a tiny cage with masses of curly tubes on top! The wheel didn't look to spin too well though!

The way it fixes together at the corners and the panels is similar to the way the Plaza fits together at the corners. But that only has four pieces - one at each corner. It's basically a modular cage that can be extended. I just find it frustrating that they thought about deep bedding, a large wheel and extendable size, and only made it 37cm deep!

Daisy it does look like there is one small door at the front in the middle, on the video which is good - so front and top opening.

What I want to know is when the 120cm Savic Plaza cage will be available to buy! It's huge! 118cm x 64.5cm deep x 52cm tall (a bit tall but could be worked around). Bigger than a four foot fish tank as it's so deep. I emailed savic to ask them but haven't had a reply yet. I have a contact there :) If he's still there. He consulted with me when they were first making the original Savic Plaza! I had originally written to them to ask them to make a 100cm Hamster Heaven. And the Plaza was the result. Originally I had said it needed a front opening door and a deeper base for bedding. He said they can't do a deeper base as their machinery is all geared to a certain type of base manufacture. But thankfully Viking now make the bedding panels (at a cost). If I had to choose between the Multipla and a 120cm Plaza I'd go with the Plaza and put bedding panels in. The Multipla is a great idea though. I wonder if it's possible to extend it depthwise as well?

I just feel it is not needed. What is the point of a small cage that you must be extensions for? It seems like a waste of money and an opportunity for the company to get more money.

I think it is possible to extend it depthwise. One of the photos shows a kind of L-shaped cage so I imagine you could add another one to make a square (as long as you don't plan to move the cage as it probably wouldn't hold up).

If it's possible to extend depthwise then it's a good idea! Probably a lot more expensive than a diy cage (but no diy!). Yes I think the L shaped one looks good actually - it compensates for the lack of depth somehow by having good floor area that isn't a long narrow area.

There's a lovely setup in this video:
. The large version looks nice for a dwarf hamster but it would be very narrow for a Syrian.

I'm a bit confused why the front door opens upwards!

It's an amazing set up! Yes it would be good for a Dwarf but a bit narrow for a Syrian. It's about the same depth as a detolf, which is longer and cheaper! But has diy involved. Some cages do have a door that opens upwards. The Marchioro Kevin used to be like that. It is strange because it means it won't stay up on its own!

The other difference being - it has bars which a detolf doesn't so better ventilation. I quite like the idea of building a modular cage with no diy (apart from a screwdriver it seems) and making it any size you want. I just wish they'd made it 45 to 50cm deep! The L shaped one would be quite big to fit in but without the benefit of the extra corner of cage that's missing with the l shape! What is good is seeing a manufacturer sell a cage with a big wheel!

Are you tempted by one Daisy?

The other difference being - it has bars which a detolf doesn't so better ventilation. I quite like the idea of building a modular cage with no diy (apart from a screwdriver it seems) and making it any size you want. I just wish they'd made it 45 to 50cm deep! The L shaped one would be quite big to fit in but without the benefit of the extra corner of cage that's missing with the l shape! What is good is seeing a manufacturer sell a cage with a big wheel!

Are you tempted by one Daisy?
Sort of, but I have no justification for spending that kind of money at the moment! I like the idea of it for a dwarf so I wouldn't rule out buying it in future.

Reactions: Maz
I have been tempted by the Criceti 100 a few times as Raffy I think could definitely do with more space. But I can't justify it. He gets a lot of out of cage time. It would be a dilemma in the Plaza 120 was available as I would really want that - and it is bound to be over £100. And OH would make a fuss about the size of it lol! Both cages are in the living room.

Back