Glass cage not quite there

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
I see PAH have a glass and bar enclosure, that is almost good, but unfortunately just not big enough or tall enough. It has a glass base, similar to the Ferplast Karat - which is 78cm x 48cm. But the entire cage is only 34cm tall - which is lower than a hamster heaven. Now if only they made that 100cm x 48 cm and 50cm tall!

Did you see what it says?
Suitable for up to 6 gerbils or 1 Syrian hamster!!
I don't know what to say that's within the forum rules.

The thing is - if it was just that bit bigger it could make a decent cage.

I don't like the small doors and it needs to be bigger like you say.

I just think it's a shame that the concept is good, and it's not tiny - it's just not quite there - not quite big enough and not quite tall enough. And yes the doors are a bit small.

The thing is - if it was just that bit bigger it could make a decent cage.
Yes, i would go and buy one for Bernard.

As it is, including the information, its going to be yet another trap for a poor Syrian hamster and won't even fit a suitable wheel.

I wished they hadn't made it and i don't understand where they're getting these ideas from in this day and age.

It could be such a good cage in the correct size. I wonder if someone will suggest that to them.

I just think it's a shame that the concept is good, and it's not tiny - it's just not quite there - not quite big enough and not quite tall enough. And yes the doors are a bit small.
I thought it was top opening but didn't get a proper look.

Yes, i would go and buy one for Bernard.

As it is, including the information, its going to be yet another trap for a poor Syrian hamster and won't even fit a suitable wheel.

I wished they hadn't made it and i don't understand where they're getting these ideas from in this day and age.

It could be such a good cage in the correct size. I wonder if someone will suggest that to them.
That is a good point. Not to mention for 6 gerbils! No idea where they came up with that from.

That is a good point. Not to mention for 6 gerbils! No idea where they came up with that from.
And not to mention 1 Syrian hamster either.
At least its £120 which may stop people from buying it. That in itself is crazy considering that a Plaza 120 costs less than that.

I think possibly where the 6 gerbil thing comes from is a long time ago people used to suggest starting with a 10 US gallon tank for 2 gerbils and then adding 5 gallons for each additional gerbil (so a 15 gallon for 3, 20 gallon for 4 etc). The volume of the cage is 33 US gallons so according to the old rule would be adequate for 6 gerbils.

The problem is that nobody follows that rule anymore. Even the most old school breeders haven't touched that rule with a bargepole since about 2014, because 5 gallons per gerbil is pitifully small. For reference, a US 10 gallon tank is 50x25x30cm and a 20 gallon long tank is 70x30x30cm.

Nowadays the absolute smallest anyone really recommends is 20 gallons for a pair plus 10 gallons for each additional gerbil, but it's much better to aim for 40 gallons for a pair plus 15-20 gallons per additional gerbil, and this applies only to the tank part of an enclosure and not any wire toppers.

So Pets at Home are as usual massively behind the times here.

There are two reviews, one 6 months and one a year old so the cage must have been available for a while. Both are one star reviews and state that the cage is too small.

It depends if they look online or buy in store. It probably looks quite large in the flesh as not much smaller than a hamster heaven floorspace wise. But not much room for bedding.

Back