Glucosamine & joint care for aging hamsters?

kaiahpapaya

Reaction score
i have 2yr old russian dwarf who is starting to show signs of aging. his back legs seem particularly stiff so i’m wondering if there’s anything i can give him to help with his wee joints? i saw glucosamine treats by oxbow but i’ve been scouring the internet and can’t find anything about feeding it to hamsters.

Hello and welcome!

One of my hamsters started to get arthritis in his back legs at around 2 years old. He was put on daily Metacam/Loxicom which is a painkiller/anti inflammatory. It got him up and running again.

I don't know if glucosamine can be used for hamsters but i doubt it. Even if it could be given, i don't think it would work quickly enough to be of much benefit.

I'd go down the conventional route and go to a vet for some pain relief which works very quickly.

Hello and welcome! I agree with that - I am really not sure Glucosamine would work and because hamsters have such a fast metabolism it could do more harm than good. I am totally with you though on the idea of natural supplements. I tried giving one of my hamsters some white willow bark once (natural aspirin basically) but he wouldn't eat it lol! At the time the vet had said he couldn't have metacam as it was contraindicated with Cushings (which it is apparently) and I didn't want him to be in pain. He ended up having to be pts :(. I have since changed vets though and my new vet says there is another pain relief med they can give if they can't have Metacam.

Metacam really does help older hamsters though - especially with arthritis, toothache, stiff legs etc. Providing the dosage is correct. If it's too high it can affect their kidneys, so they need to be weighed regularly while on it in case the dose needs adjusting. There is a big leeway in dosage level though.

I'd just ask the vet for some metacam. There are some healthy supplements that might help though - the main one being brown linseeds are full of natural oils and vitamin E - mainly good for coats eyes and teeth but no doubt for joints and general health too. I give a pinch of those on a separate little dish for older hamsters and they just lick them up :)

Having said all that, I've looked up the Oxbow supplement and I can't see there's anything harmful in it and the amounts are probably right. Except that it's based on Timothy Hay, like their main food and that's actually not beneficial to hamsters. Too much roughage which could upset their digestions or actually reduce their absorption of vitamins etc. Oxbow main food is really not good for hamsters!

I'm guessing you're wanting to avoid meds and try something more natural? I used to be like that but am the other way now. Metacam works wonders for older hamsters and keeps them pain free so they can enjoy their life. It also tastes nice so they eat it! I don't worry about it affecting their kidneys a) because the dose is right and b) because older hamsters have almost always started with kidney deterioriation anyway - it's one of the first things that goes and doesn't usually affect them that much.

Metacam is also known as Loxicom

Last edited:
Just to add - it can be a time to remove levels etc from their cage when they start getting stiff back legs as that's when they can fall. Our first Syrian got like that - he still had loads of energy and looked quite surprised when he tried to climb into a roof toy and didn't quite make it - he just didn't have the back leg strength any more. So that was a sign to me to turn his cage into a retirement bungalow! It was good actually - he didn't have the levels or higher up toys etc any more, but he had a lot more at ground level and still had familiar things. just at ground level. I also added a few new things at floor level as well and moved his shelf right up to the top of the roof - so he couldn't get up there but it still gave overhead cover (ie he still felt he was sitting under a shelf) so he didn't get overwhelmed with all the space above him.

i have 2yr old russian dwarf who is starting to show signs of aging. his back legs seem particularly stiff so i’m wondering if there’s anything i can give him to help with his wee joints? i saw glucosamine treats by oxbow but i’ve been scouring the internet and can’t find anything about feeding it to hamsters.
Two years is a grand age for a Russian dwarf by the way. He must be very well cared for!

Back