Hamster bath

Cookiedoe

Reaction score
what do I get for the hamster baths and are they generally to clean themselves in ?? Funny question I know 🤣

A sand bath can be anything really. You could use a tray and pop a hide in so the hamster feels safe as they have somewhere to hide. They use sand to clean themselves and some hamsters like to toilet in it. This makes it easier for us to keep their cage clean. :)

A sand bath can be anything really. You could use a tray and pop a hide in so the hamster feels safe as they have somewhere to hide. They use sand to clean themselves and some hamsters like to toilet in it. This makes it easier for us to keep their cage clean. :)
I already have a little grey house maybe I could use this to pop the sand in Thankyou

I already have a little grey house maybe I could use this to pop the sand in Thankyou
Sorry, I meant put the hide in the sand box.😊 So, the hamster can use the sand but having thw hide will make them feel safer.

The little grey house would make a good hide if placed in a sandbath like a pie dish or tupperware box. I used a pie dish with a bendy bridge as a shelter. This sandbath is on a platform because its heavy.

On its own the little grey house may be ok for a Robo who doesn't like a big sandbath.

20230901_143640.jpg

As you’ve probably guessed from the above posts, hamsters don’t need cleaning or to have baths. They groom themselves a lot and are very clean little things - the only thing that smells or is unhygienic, is their pee. And they can be toilet trained to use a potty litter tray with safe sand in. Then you just empty the litter tray once or twice a week and the rest of the cage stays clean and dry. You just put the litter tray in the place the hamster has chosen as a toilet area (this is sometimes a corner of the cage).

In addition they clean themselves in a sand bath. Some will use the sand bath as a toilet as well as the litter tray but they’re quite tidy and will owe in a different area to where they roll or wash.

Sand! Roboroski hamsters need the biggest sand baths, but Syrians also need enough room to walk around and roll.

Back