Guest viewing is limited

Hamster is mad in travel cage

Indico

Reaction score
So my family is on vacation and I was a little hesitant to go because I couldn’t find anyone to take care of them while I’m gone. We’ll be gone for a little over and I didn’t feel safe leaving them especially during the summer when it’s 90 degrees pretty much daily. I didn’t want something happening to our AC and then they’re just screwed. I decided to go ahead and take them with me and they’re in their regular travel cage. It’s the best I can do and is smaller than their regular big fish tank cages but one of them (my winter white dwarf) is being very aggressive. He was completely fine when we left our house and was totally fine when we left. He just went to bed. And when we came back from going out to eat, he was very aggressive. First he bit my sister and then he was swiping the snacks out of my hand that I was trying to give him. He’s always been an independent hamster not really caring to be handled but I’ve never seen him aggressive like this. He’s went just as long in this cage before and he’s never reacted this way and I’m really not sure what to do. Will he be okay?

It’s sounds as though your ham is stressed to me, it could be the journey or it could be something about where the cage is now that’s upsetting him & he may need some quiet time to settle down a bit.
Did you put substrate, house & toys or anything from the usual cage into the travel cage? If he doesn’t have his scent in the cage that could be another factor.
It is stressful for them to be taken out of their normal cage for any length of time.
I would just keep him quiet, don’t try to interact with him much for a while & see if he settles down.

It’s sounds as though your ham is stressed to me, it could be the journey or it could be something about where the cage is now that’s upsetting him & he may need some quiet time to settle down a bit.
Did you put substrate, house & toys or anything from the usual cage into the travel cage? If he doesn’t have his scent in the cage that could be another factor.
It is stressful for them to be taken out of their normal cage for any length of time.
I would just keep him quiet, don’t try to interact with him much for a while & see if he settles down.
Do you mean the hamsters are living in pet carriers?
Did you do routine checks to see if wheel and water bottle are working ok?

Hi all!
Haven’t seen him yet today so I hope he’s feeling a bit better. About half their bedding is clean bedding near where they both burrow. I also made sure to put their favorite hides and toys inside the cage. The hamsters are not living in carriers but instead just a smaller cage we can carry around easier than their 900 sq ft cages that they live in at home. And yes I frequently checked to make sure everything was working/visible (sometimes while they’re digging they accidentally bury their food bowl. The only time I didn’t was when we left to go eat food and we were only gone for about 2 hours max.

I think all you can do for now is just wait to see if he settles down, not sure what else you can do if you’re on holiday.
Keep an eye on him to make sure he’s otherwise ok, eating & drinking normally just in case it could be a health issue but it doesn’t seem likely.

Stupid question i know but they are in two travel cages, yes? Each hamster in their own cage.
I think all you can do for now is just wait to see if he settles down, not sure what else you can do if you’re on holiday.
Keep an eye on him to make sure he’s otherwise ok, eating & drinking normally just in case it could be a health issue but it doesn’t seem likely.
Yes they’re in separate cages both here and at home. They’ve lived in the same room and never even met each other don’t think they’re aware of each others existence 😅. He is doing ok drinking and took his food in his little burrow. He just walks around and goes on his wheel looking really mad.

Reactions: Maz
Back