Hamster lump

Indico

Reaction score
So last weekend I had noticed a little bump (about the size of a pebble) on my hamsters “area” and immediately got concerned. He is going to be 2 in February but is still very active always wanting to play etc. and hasn’t changed in activity, diet etc even after noticing the lump. While reading online I had seen many people with the same situation but it was simply their “thing” popping out extra cause they’re warm. So I calmed down and decided to just keep an eye on it. I’ve been away at work but told my mom to keep an eye on it for me and she hadn’t noticed a change but when I came home it had about doubled in size now being about the size of a single peanut. At this point I’m extremely worried and don’t know what to do as it is Christmas weekend and aren’t sure which vets will take him. I’m also worried that this is some kind of tumor on top of his age. Any advice helps.IMG_2214.jpeg

Here’s a better picture (trying my best since he’s flailing a bit he’s never liked to be turned around like that even before any of this)
Again he’s still just as hungry, thirsty, and active as he’s always been but my mom said right now that she noticed some white stuff on her hands after holding him. Though I tried everything as well as giving it a light squeeze and nothing I did was able to get any discharge to come out so I’m not entirely sure if what she said is true or if our concern is just making us think things.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.jpeg
    IMG_2219.jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
I can’t really tell much from the photos.
Now that it’s larger is it there all the time, not retracting at all?
If he seems fine in himself then it should be ok to wait until next week & see if you can get a vet appointment to get it checked out, I’m not sure about vets over Christmas but I would imagine they would be running clinics again by Tuesday but probably only doing emergencies on the holiday days.
He is getting quite old now but many hamsters are still fine at 2 & although tumours are more common in older hamsters it may be something else, I hope the vet can help.

Elusive has said it all really :) To me, it does look like one of his testicles descended - eg if he's particularly warm or comfortable. And sometimes they are out more than in. But if you think it's something new that has appeared, it's best to get it checked out after Christmas or in the new year. And just keep an eye on it. To be honest, if it was a tumour, there isn't a lot they can do other than give pain relief. It's unlikely they'd do surgery on a two year old hamster (although it's possible if the hamster is in very good condition), but what often happens is the tumour comes back again. Anaesthetic can knock an older hamster off quite a bit, and there's a slight risk they don't survive the anaesthetic.

It may be a benign lump also. Providing he is eating and drinking ok and doing normal hamstery things, I would just keep an eye on it over the next week or so.

I don't know what white stuff could be. What does it feel like? If you can feel it gently. Does it feel hot. There is a possibility it could be an abscess but you can usually tell if its that because it will be red and hot and the hamster will show pain if it's touched.

I would think some vets will be open on the 28th if you think things are getting worse.

Back