Guest viewing is limited

Hamster not eating seed mix only lettuce

nezbum003

Reaction score
I have a chinese dwarf hamster that is disregarding the seed mix (sunburst gourmet blend) that I scatter around her cage. She will eat lettuce and spinach just not the seed mix. I don't know if it is because I returned to college with her and she is not comfortable in this new environment or if it is a health issue? What could be wrong? How could I help her eat to get the proper nutrition?

How do you know your hamster is not eating her seed mix if it is scattered? Is it possible she is eating it at night when you are asleep?

I see you have two hamsters. Is the other hamster eating?

I put my hamster's food in a dish and at still looks as though he hasn't eaten much but he has a huge hoard! They eat very little each day and hoard most of what they take. Does she take treats like pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds from you? Higgins Vita Garden would be a better mix as it's sugar free and Chinese hamsters are prone to acquiring genetic diabetes (some will some won't). So a sugar free diet is quite important. Fresh veg is ok but it's better not to give fresh and dried fruit. The Higgins Vita Garden is a reasonable good mix of ingredients as well as being sugar free, but it needs the protein supplementing, so if you could get freeze dried chicken bites and mealworms, those are reasonable protein supplements. You can also give fresh food protein supplements like a bit of chopped hard boiled egg or the occasional nut like a walnut or peanuts in their shells.

How do you know your hamster is not eating her seed mix if it is scattered? Is it possible she is eating it at night when you are asleep?

I see you have two hamsters. Is the other hamster eating?
Normally I scatter a more of it on the top of her house and usually she takes all of the food but it has stayed there untouched. I know that she eats all the lettuce at night becuase its all gone. And yes I have two hamsters the brown hamster is in another cage and is eating just fine.

I put my hamster's food in a dish and at still looks as though he hasn't eaten much but he has a huge hoard! They eat very little each day and hoard most of what they take. Does she take treats like pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds from you? Higgins Vita Garden would be a better mix as it's sugar free and Chinese hamsters are prone to acquiring genetic diabetes (some will some won't). So a sugar free diet is quite important. Fresh veg is ok but it's better not to give fresh and dried fruit. The Higgins Vita Garden is a reasonable good mix of ingredients as well as being sugar free, but it needs the protein supplementing, so if you could get freeze dried chicken bites and mealworms, those are reasonable protein supplements. You can also give fresh food protein supplements like a bit of chopped hard boiled egg or the occasional nut like a walnut or peanuts in their shells.
Thank you for the info, she does not take seeds out of my hand, she takes lettuce out of my hands, and the pumpkin/sunflower seeds I leave in there for her are untouched.

So you think she isn't eating at all apart from a bit of veg? How does she seem in herself? Lively and bright eyed and doing normal things like digging? Have you checked to see if she has a hoard somewhere? They usually eat from their hoards.

So you think she isn't eating at all apart from a bit of veg? How does she seem in herself? Lively and bright eyed and doing normal things like digging? Have you checked to see if she has a hoard somewhere? They usually eat from their hoards.
Yes, she seems a little more nervous, I hear her digging and shes running on her wheel. I will check for a hoard. Thank you for your help

Back