Hamster urine colour

RainbowBrite

Hamster Guardian
Founder Member
Reaction score
Yesterday Sprite was in his playpen and did a wee in one of his hides. The wee was a kind of orange colour and I did not think anything of it. Today I found out hamster wee is meant to be milky white. Is this correct? I do not know what colour it is usually. He has not eaten anything that could have caused orange wee.

I think it depends to be honest. What colour was the hide? Just to add, it is usually milky white but things can affect it. You said he hadn't eaten anything unusual though.

I think it can be a pale yellowy colour as well. You could try and get a urine sample next time he's out.

I think it can be a pale yellowy colour as well. You could try and get a urine sample next time he's out.
That was just a one off that I saw it. He only uses his sand to wee.

Does this indicate he may have a UTI?

It's possible or it could just be a fluke if it doesn't smell bad. I think to know that the vet would need a urine sample anyway. The way it's usually recommended is to have the hamster out in a plastic storage box until he or she pees and then draw the urine up in a syringe.

It's possible or it could just be a fluke if it doesn't smell bad. I think to know that the vet would need a urine sample anyway. The way it's usually recommended is to have the hamster out in a plastic storage box until he or she pees and then draw the urine up in a syringe.
I see. So you dont just take the hamster to the vet like you do with piggies? I know a sample would need to be fresh too.

I think you'd need to ask the individual vet about that one - how they need it.

What did he eat yesterday or today?

Pea flake, mealworm, pinenut, pumpkin seed, seed mix, likely forage. Thats what he has had for the past two days.

There doesn't seem to be anything there then. I'll wait to see what Elusive thinks. Another cause can be dehydration but you would think he would be drinking what he needs.

There doesn't seem to be anything there then. I'll wait to see what Elusive thinks. Another cause can be dehydration but you would think he would be drinking what he needs.
Thank you. He does not drink very much to me but Orko drank a lot.

It doesn’t sound like a UTI to me, usually you get other signs as well like increased thirst, it is possible & you can’t be sure without a urine test.
How is he in himself?
The urine can vary quite a bit, not always milky white.
I’m just wondering as he likes his flowers so much whether something liek marigold maybe could colour the urine if he had a fair bit of it, not sure about that, just a thought really.

It doesn’t sound like a UTI to me, usually you get other signs as well like increased thirst, it is possible & you can’t be sure without a urine test.
How is he in himself?
The urine can vary quite a bit, not always milky white.
I’m just wondering as he likes his flowers so much whether something liek marigold maybe could colour the urine if he had a fair bit of it, not sure about that, just a thought really.
Good point. I did wonder about flowers. I can never be sure which flowers he eats and when.

Perhaps it is best to call the vet Monday and see if they want to see him.

He is fine in himself. We spent time together twice today.

If he’s fine in himself & not drinking a lot he’s probably ok, good idea to see how he is over the weekend then decide if you need to speak to the vet or not on Monday.

I think it's only Syrian hamsters that (sometimes, not always) have milky urine.

Dwarf species tend to have dark yellow or orange urine.

If he’s fine in himself & not drinking a lot he’s probably ok, good idea to see how he is over the weekend then decide if you need to speak to the vet or not on Monday.
Thank you. I will do that.

Back