Hamster weight

I love Brownie

Reaction score
Hello, lately Sunny has been showing some weight lost. I have been feeding her mealworms regularly so that she can gain some weight. But it doesn't seem to work. Her weight is 124 grams, (4.4 oz ) I've seen other hamsters that are a lot younger but are more chubbier and heavier. Thank you for any suggestions!

Hi. How much weight has she lost? Do you have a photo of her?

Last edited:
How old is she? Also how much weight has she lost? They tend to lose some weight when elderly because they lose muscle mass.

I wouldn't recommend feeding lots of mealworms for weight gain as they have far too much phosphorus and too little calcium and that can lead to other health issues. You can feed a couple per day but it's best to feed a wide variety of fat sources. In terms of insects, calci worms (black soldier fly larvae) are much better nutritionally. Waxworms are also high in fat (you'll probably have to buy these live from a pet shop). Mostly I recommend fatty seeds such as flax, hemp, sunflower, safflower, niger, plus nuts (especially almonds). You can also get flax/hemp/grape seed/evening primrose oil and drop a bit on her dry food every day. Also yoghurt, hard cheese, tofu, malt paste (sold for cats, dog and ferrets). There is also a supplement I use occasionally called Vetcal Pro Gel but I'd only really suggest that if she's continually losing weight (it won't hurt otherwise, it's just unnecessary).

Reactions: Maz
As Daisy says, if she's older then this is not too abnormal but needs keeping an eye on and supplements. How much weight has she actually lost and how old is she? Also have you checked her teeth? One common cause of weight loss is overgrown or broken teeth (ie they can't eat properly or at all).

She has lost around 20 grams in weight, ( 0.7 oz ) she is around one year old, and her teeth are very healthy. ( I checked today ) I won't feed her mealworms again. I will go buy some nuts and waxworms, etc. Thank you guys for the help, I appreciate it!

20 grammes is quite a lot of weight to lose. Would you say she was a good weight for her size before or a bit overweight? Either way I think it's worth having a vet check as a large weight loss can have various causes. How does she feel when you handle her - does she feel very thin and bony?

Do you have a photo? :-)

At 1 it shouldn't be old age, as that's not old at all. But 20g is a lot to lose as Maz says.

Have you seen her eating hard foods and shelling seeds? Occasionally there can be tooth issues that aren't visible.

She does feel a bit bony, I can feel her bones a bit. She was the perfect weight for a Syrian hamster before. I have seen her cracking open nuts and seeds many times. I will give her some supplements and then check in with a vet if she is still not gaining weight.

I think it's best to take her to a vet even if she does gain weight with supplements, because a hamster her age shouldn't be losing weight and feeling bony. Supplements may just mask an underlying issue.

Reactions: Maz
It depends on her size. I have a small Syrian and a large Syrian and my small one got a bit overweight at one point :-) So there isn't really a standard weight for a Syrian - just their usual weight when they're healthy and about the right weight for their size.

Back