Hamsters and polyester?

PrincessImi

Reaction score
There was a polyester blanket over my hamsters cage (mistake i know), i discovered he has eaten a chunk of it. should i be worried and should i take further steps?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Others will give you more informed advice but as a quick thought - he may not have actually eaten any of the blanket. Rather nibbled it, pouched the nibbles and taken them off to line his nest area. You could gently investigate his nest area to see, without disturbing things more than necessary. Remove anything you find. Then to say sorry, tear up some white toilet paper into strips and leave those by his nest and allow him to take those inside himself. That is a safe nesting material for any hamster.

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Others will give you more informed advice but as a quick thought - he may not have actually eaten any of the blanket. Rather nibbled it, pouched the nibbles and taken them off to line his nest area. You could gently investigate his nest area to see, without disturbing things more than necessary. Remove anything you find. Then to say sorry, tear up some white toilet paper into strips and leave those by his nest and allow him to take those inside himself. That is a safe nesting material for any hamster.
thank you so much!

Hello and welcome :-) Do you mean like a fleece blanket? That has happened to me too - when I left it over the top of a pet carrier. I'm sure your hamster will be fine - they tend to chew when it's on top to see if they can get out I think. One of mine chewed a hole in the carpet! But he didn't eat or swallow any - he was just trying to dig down :-)

Hello & welcome to the forum, it’s an easy mistake to make but hopefully your hamster hasn’t eaten the blanket but just chewed it & will be fine.

Back