Heat pad

fridakahlo

Reaction score
Hi the room my hamster is in can get quite cold approx 13c at coldest sometimes, so I got a little USB heat pad and put it under the tank under the MCH where her main burrow is. The room is heated once a day to about 17 or 18c for a couple of hours
I'm wondering if I should just leave the heat pad on all the time?

I wouldn’t put the heat pad directly under the house, it’s better to put it maybe close to but away from the house to create some overall warmth in the cage, under the house it’s possible it may get too warm & then they feel the need to leave the house.
Do you know how hot it gets?
I would also make sure there’s a gap of at least a few inches between the pad & the cage.

The room temperature is low for a hamster so if the heat pad doesn’t get too warm & is thermostatically controlled then you could leave in on all the time.
It would probably be better to get some kind of heater with a thermostat like an oil filled radiator or similar to keep the overall temperature of the room up a bit.

Yes it is on for 2 - 3 hours. I've got pillows round 3 sides to insulate it. She is a bit of a ghostie but I'm putting a treat out every night so I know she's OK, eating well, hear her on wheel at night etc. I'm keeping close eye on her. 10 inch bedding most of tank.
The heat pad is tiny, is for a small reptile and works off a phone charger. I try move it around a bit underneath the tank so it doesn't get too warm in one place.

The reviews on Amazon mostly say they work for a short while and after a few weeks stop working. A couple of reviews were rather alarming about getting hot enough to melt down. You can get heat pads that can be microwaved and are advertised for rabbits, they could be safer if used for what they are designed for and following instructions.

I bought a Snuggle safe pad for using under Blossom’s cage if it gets too cold. I’ve so far actually only used it overnight when it went below freezing, but given she is healthy and happy, I’d say it did its job 👍

I wonder if a more stable temperature and tweaking diet (although you may have tried this already) might make your hamster a bit more active and come out more often.

I probably been a bit over anxious regarding torpor, my partner now said that bedroom doesn't get much colder than about 16 / 17c on cold days.
She was a rescue at 7 months from a bare cage. She's deaf and blind. I've had her 15 months. She is very cuddly when I do get her out, few times a week. I find she is happiest to have a strict routine.
I give her very varied but regular diet, but very pleased to have any advice Maz.
I'm a Victoria Raechel fan and like to do things properly😃😉😊

I probably been a bit over anxious regarding torpor, my partner now said that bedroom doesn't get much colder than about 16 / 17c on cold days.
She was a rescue at 7 months from a bare cage. She's deaf and blind. I've had her 15 months. She is very cuddly when I do get her out, few times a week. I find she is happiest to have a strict routine.
I give her very varied but regular diet, but very pleased to have any advice Maz.
I'm a Victoria Raechel fan and like to do things properly😃😉😊
Lucky she has such a caring owner!

Back