How do I tell whether my Syrian hamster is a boy or a girl?

teeny_tiny_tony123

Hamster Legend
Reaction score
Hello!
I have been scrolling through hamster photos online and came across a “Female VS Male Hamsters” photo and I’m starting to question whether Tony is really a boy, after doing further research! Does anybody know how I can properly tell Tony’s gender? (I am happy to send a photo)

Thanks very much!
teeny_tiny_tony123

Hello. Yes just post a photo :) Is Tony a Syrian? If so you can tell by the shape of the back end - it’s sort of elongated and oval where his testicles are under. A female has a more rounded back end.

Hello. Yes just post a photo :) Is Tony a Syrian? If so you can tell by the shape of the back end - it’s sort of elongated and oval where his testicles are under. A female has a more rounded back end.
1000006381.jpeg
Thanks for your reply, yes he is a Syrian. Here’s a photo for you. I’m not sure whether you’ll be able to see very well?

I agree with the others :-) "He" does look like a girl, but it's possible that as he/she is stretched out like that, the testicles might not show up, but a view of him from the top while he's standing normally on all fours, and/or from the back end would help!

And yes, a lovely tummy!

Thanks for all of your replies ❤️, hopefully these photos will help!3c0dabe4-d38d-4f81-90cf-8cd45348069e.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1580.jpeg
    IMG_1580.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 15
  • fed9b7c7-3592-4f2e-b347-773a47478a9b.jpeg
    fed9b7c7-3592-4f2e-b347-773a47478a9b.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 066334fe-9f2d-4d40-9109-c59793da8346.jpeg
    066334fe-9f2d-4d40-9109-c59793da8346.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 16
Yes he/she looks like a girl to me too! Although on the second photo above, with his/her tail showing it's not quite as rounded as you'd expect for a girl - so either he/she is a girl, or is a boy with extremely small testicles. But you've had him/her for a while haven't you? How old is Tony? I would think if he was a boy you would have seen testicles protrude more sometimes when warm or very relaxed. I can't make out much from the other photos. Do you have a photo from the front, showing the face well - I tend to think girls have a different face to boys as well. I guess the only sure-fire way to establish it is a vet check as it can be hard to tell from photos. Can you see any nipples on the underside?

That look's like a girl's face to me :) And she has nipples! What are you going to call her? Miss Tony or Thomasina? :) Although Toni can be a girl's name too if spelt differently.

Back