How Soon Should My Hamster See The vet?

Riven

Hamster Legend
Founder Member
Reaction score
Sometimes people ask “how soon should my hamster see a vet?” or “do you think they can wait until day X?” Here I thought I'd list some ailments I've come across and how soon they should ideally be seen by the vet. This isn't a complete list nor is it to replace medical care. This is just a guide. If you are worried in any way, please contact your vet!

Now (Emergency appointment)

- serious breathing difficulties, this is a sign of respiratory distress

- seizures or loss of consciousness

- bloat - if your hamster has stopped eating and their abdomen has suddenly become very swollen and large

- excessive bleeding - from any area

- collapse, paralysis or loss of the use of limbs

- excessive diarrhoea

- eye trauma, any severe injury to the eye

- head tilt

- any severe wounds or injuries

- a penis which cannot retract and looks swollen or blue

- bloody or pus from the vagina

- inability to pass urine at all

Within 24 hours (Urgent Appointment)

- blood in the urine or difficulty urinating.

- ‘the sniffles’ or cold symptoms including rasping sounds with breathing

- lameness where your hamster is limping and not making any improvement by next day

- sore skin from scratching and fur loss (possibly fungal or mite infection)

- cloudiness of the eye or redness

- sudden drop in bodyweight (check their teeth first as if their teeth are overgrown they may not be able to eat)

- small wounds which are not actively bleeding or gaping in anyway

- torn nails with swelling or bleeding

- drooling from the mouth

- a lump which has appeared suddenly

Within 2-3 days

- hair loss and excessive itching

- a slow decline in bodyweight (again check their teeth as if they're overgrown they may not be able to eat)

- any skin complaint

- less active than normal

- not eating much or off food

- lumps which appear

- ear irritation/scratching until it's sore (it's normal for hamsters to scratch their ears otherwise)

- minor bite wounds/scratches - you can clean them with tepid saline (salt water) in the meantime. A teaspoonful of salt dissolved in a pint of boiling water and left to cool. Use a q tip or corner of a soft cloth but wrung out well so it's just damp. So as not to get the hamster wet - getting wet isn't good for hamsters and they can catch a chill

Last edited by a moderator:
That's an excellent guide Riven. Protruding Eyes I would try to get an appointment the same day - it can be very painful - or next day for any other eye issues. Eyes are usually an emergency. Also just to add, it is fine for people to post seeking reassurance and support and if they're unsure whether to see a vet or how soon. That is part of what the forum is for. Support in a crisis and when you're not sure what's going on. Although any serious symptoms as above, don't hesitate to call a vet.

Last edited:
Back