How to clean cork log?

Em_

Reaction score
I bought a cork log from a pet shop in the reptiles section and it has lots of mud and dirt on it. Anyone know how to clean it and do you need to sterilise it? Water? Baking it? I really don’t know, someone please tell me?

Hello Em and welcome to the forum. I would give it a scrub with hot water and put it in the oven on a low heat for about 45 minutes. Switch off the oven with the log inside and then remove the log once it is cool. :)

Reactions: Em_
I just wash mine in plain water, if there’s a lot of mud or dirt stuck on I do sometimes soak them for a while but they float so you have to weigh them down! Then I air dry them or put them on a radiator.

I give mine a good brush and then bake them at 100C for about 45 mins.

I don't think sterilizing is necessary but i'm paranoid about bugs and freeze hamster mix, herbs, millet etc as well for a few days then store in an airtight glass jar.

I bought a cork log from a pet shop in the reptiles section and it has lots of mud and dirt on it. Anyone know how to clean it and do you need to sterilise it? Water? Baking it? I really don’t know, someone please tell me?

Hi again 😂 so I am trying to clean it but the layer of dirt is so thick ,! Any advise?

Attachments

• 98C0BD4C-E0C1-46AF-993D-0D22DDC4CF27.jpeg
    98C0BD4C-E0C1-46AF-993D-0D22DDC4CF27.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 2DE88ABB-9882-4986-A975-998A99EBDE3E.jpeg
    2DE88ABB-9882-4986-A975-998A99EBDE3E.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 6
I would return that as it does not look very nice. It does not really look like an actual round one were your hamster can go underneath.

I am sorry this happened to you. I hope they have better ones but if not perhaps another shop near you will.
yes i was wondering if you have any recommendation off of amazon or anything similar if you use any natural things for your hamsters?

I get the rodipet cork logs - they have them the right size and shape for a hamster and hamster cage. Trouble is the shipping from Germany is about £8 extra and delivery isn't that quick. Some cork logs are very dirty. They should be just dry and dusty and just need a wash really. I just rinse them in hot water, use a nail brush to scrub any bits that look a bit grungy, let them dry, then I put them in the freezer for a week. I haven't had much success with baking them. I agree about taking that one back.

Others may have suggestions for where else you could get them. These are the rodipet ones. I get the large one but the medium is ok too. The large one is taller so I use it as a ramp under a shelf.

It might be better to get one you can see first maybe.

I get the rodipet cork logs - they have them the right size and shape for a hamster and hamster cage. Trouble is the shipping from Germany is about £8 extra and delivery isn't that quick. Some cork logs are very dirty. They should be just dry and dusty and just need a wash really. I just rinse them in hot water, use a nail brush to scrub any bits that look a bit grungy, let them dry, then I put them in the freezer for a week. I haven't had much success with baking them. I agree about taking that one back.

Others may have suggestions for where else you could get them. These are the rodipet ones. I get the large one but the medium is ok too. The large one is taller so I use it as a ramp under a shelf.

It might be better to get one you can see first maybe.

Thank you so
much 🙂🙂🙂🙂

Back