Guest viewing is limited

How to get a sofa through a door

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
Our old 3 seater sofa is being taken away tomorrow. Tonight we had to get it outside. Couldn’t get it through the door. We tried all different ways. It came through the door when it was delivered! In the end OH sawed one end of it off.

I suppose there is more room to swing it outside than in. Still sad to see it chopped up. But the new sofa must be nice 😍

There isn't a new sofa ha ha. Replacing it with a couple of chairs. We still have a smaller sofa as well. At the moment there is quite a bit of empty space and just one chair. Haven't got the second one yet. It was really annoying - I know furniture shifters are experts at getting things through doors - they brought it in when we got it! But could not work it out, even after googling and trying all sorts. So it's now carved up. Which was a lot of work for OH. It's a bit sad but it'll be gone in the morining. Council are picking it up. I did try donating it to the British Heart Foundation but they didn't want it! Not quite good enough for them to sell.

There isn't a new sofa ha ha. Replacing it with a couple of chairs. We still have a smaller sofa as well. At the moment there is quite a bit of empty space and just one chair. Haven't got the second one yet. It was really annoying - I know furniture shifters are experts at getting things through doors - they brought it in when we got it! But could not work it out, even after googling and trying all sorts. So it's now carved up. Which was a lot of work for OH. It's a bit sad but it'll be gone in the morining. Council are picking it up. I did try donating it to the British Heart Foundation but they didn't want it! Not quite good enough for them to sell.
Oh, that is sad 🫤 Is there room for the hamsters on the small sofa? Tino could have carried it out for you 😉 Still, chairs are more practical in many ways. More room for interconnecting play pens! 🐾🐾

Yes there's room for hamsters on the small sofa :-) I'm rearranging a few things. The sofa was a bit low and squishy and we could do with something a bit firmer :) It had seen better days. I often used to use the small one for hamsters as well :) When funds permit will replace the small one with something a bit better as well. We bought these second hand from the British heart foundation. I've only ever bought second hand furniture usually hence on the lookout for a second chair :-) For now we have the one chair and the small sofa.

I know someone who had just bought a brand new expensive sofa and had an old one to be chucked. There was some confusion and the builders ended up sawing her brand new sofa in half and getting rid ...

The BHF have nice stuff. I sit on the floor alot to be closer to Socks and the piggies. I use a mattress on the carpet and it's the most comfortable bed I've ever had.

I couldn't bring myself to pay brand new prices for sofas ha ha. There are other important things in life (looks guilty with four hamster cages in the house). The good ones are really expensive. But good ones second hand are still good usually. I have one "nearly new" chair now from shop clearance.

It's interesting, they don't make furniture or clothes like they used to. Various credit crunches have had the same effect on them as on Mars bars, smaller and more utilitarian, but more expensive 😕

I know someone who had just bought a brand new expensive sofa and had an old one to be chucked. There was some confusion and the builders ended up sawing her brand new sofa in half and getting rid ...
That is awful! Did she get compensated?

Sofas are really expensive!! I refuse to pay that too!! And yes, @Socks Mum, antique furniture is much better made...you are better off getting furniture at auctions where it sells ridiculously cheaply because it's out of fashion, but much more sturdier built. My dining suite which came from my grandparents house is from the 1920s and still going strong, and my vintage sofa from my parents is around 50 years old. They did have it reupholstered but even that was around 30 years ago, and it's still good 👍

I adored my grandmother's sofa. It was seen as old fashioned when we were younger but even I could tell it was built well. It had a sprung seat, instead of cushions, and a sprung back and was a bit higher up than generally sofas are and unbelievably comfortable. It also had a drop down arm at one end, which made we kids so happy because it was actually quite hard to find the secret knob that made the arm drop - a challenge. You pushed it in with your knee if you could find it. So that turned it into a chaise longue. I think it was a "moquette" I think the fabric was called - they were bog standard apparently. It was a nice height as well - quite high up.

I have no idea what happened to it unfortunately.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness - what an awful expensive disaster for her. She should have got compensation from the builders at least. That has convinced me even more not to buy anything new and expensive ha ha.

Back