I want to know the truth about enclosures and sizes.

Coderedfield47

Reaction score
I bought my first ham, a dwarf winter white male whose currently in a 10 gallon tank I'm working on enriching. The pet store sold me a wheel thats impossible for him to run on due to resistance. I have a bigger, more smoother rolling wheel that he enjoyed (I'm pretty sure last night that was longer than 5 miles...), but its very chaotically big so I've just left it out for now. I'm trying to think of objects to provide enrichment. I feel terrible just depriving him a wheel for the night, but he's snoozing in the substrate in a burrow somewhere and being his 2nd day with me I don't want to hassle him. He hissed at me earlier, and after some arranging of the cage he went into curious mode and let me pet him with my finger.

I want to make sure whatever I put in the cage is safe. Youtube videos show heavily ornamented cages with lots of fake plants that look pretty- like a meadow, but reddit says thats dangerous.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get him the spinning disk instead.

THE ENCLOSURE SIZES:
First I was going to upgrade to a 20 gallon long. Size: 30" x 12" x 12"
Than reddit said thats far too small. AT LEAST 40 gallons. 48" x 12" x 16" (I literally don't have room). I'd have to sacrifice the top of a dresser for just a 20 gallon or 30 gallon long, where it'll cover the whole dresser leaving about 4-6 inches of width. I simply don't have room for a 40 gallon long.

My attachment to rodents started with a rat who was 3 weeks old when I found her cold underneath plastic wrap under the bathroom sink. I nursed her with puppy milk, and got her to eating solid rat foot, and in the 5 days she was with me in her 10 gallon (the same one I'm using, but its been several weeks and its been sterilized with water/vinegar) I developed a bond so strong that on the 5th day after showing immense vigor and stamina and healthiness (no sign of respiratory, only one eye was halfway shut- not enflamed) I found her face down away from the heat pad and spent the morning crying over my rat as she drifted away from me. Since burying her under an Ankh I've been trying to find a similar emotional friend animal and settled on hamster first because I already had the tank enclosure that hamsters are known to be okay with. (my rat obviously didn't make it long enough to upgrade to a better metal rat cage.

I feel like a 20 or 30 gallon (which is the same as a 40 gallon but shorter.) should be fine, especially with verticality. Am I alone in thinking that pet Reddits are really quick to sling accusations of negligience and abuse but it comes off as rather unquestioningly culty? Please give me suggestions to make my new friend happy.

Also, I hear they can collapse burrows on themselves, and am in general concerned with his whereabouts in the substrate when I need to move things and he can't be seen. I can cut up some boxes and make a building for him to play on, I just don't like the bits with tape.

Attachments

• IMG_20231101_211716.jpg
    IMG_20231101_211716.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20231102_094835.jpg
    IMG_20231102_094835.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Maz
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I would agree that Reddit can be quite harsh (not just the pet subreddits - it's a bit cult-like on lots of topics). I think forums like this are nicer because it's easier to the see the person behind the post and from your post I can see a person who really cares about giving their hamster a great life.

Basically, when it comes to enclosures, bigger is better. A 20 gallon long is on the small side really even for a dwarf hamster so it would be difficult to fit in everything he needs and still leave some space for him to move around. I'm not very familiar with US tank sizes but looking online, a 30 gallon seems to be 36x16 inches and 16 inches high, which I think is just about minimally suitable for a dwarf hamster. Opinions vary of course as it's not an exact science.

Sometimes burrows will collapse but it's not really a concern as bedding is usually too light to do any harm. Just make sure any heavy objects like sand baths or wheels are placed on platforms.

Fake plants look nice but don't really benefit the hamster, and in some cases might be risky if chewed. I'd avoid those, but you can use grapevines, cork logs etc for a naturalistic look.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Could the fake plants be sprays? These are dried plants such as millet, flax and wheat. These are safe for your hamster.

I am sorry you came across people who were not friendly. I actually think a 75 gallon tank is the best size. Here in the UK we have a minimum of 40 inches by 20 inches for a hamster tank or cage. The 40 long will be shallow and difficult to get enough bedding in. I would go for 10 inches of compressed bedding so your new friend can make lots of lovely tunnels.

If you compress the bedding then it will be fine and not collapse on your hamster. The bedding will have air pockets in and they will be safe. :) My favourite bedding is paper bedding.

It is unfortunate you do not have space for a bigger tank. Perhaps there is a way of moving furniture or even having the tank on the floor on an aquarium mat.

The spinning disc will not be suitable for your hamster. Some people use them in a playpen as an extra but he will need an upright wheel. A dwarf hamster wheel can start from 8 inches.

PS. Your hamster is so cute. :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Could the fake plants be sprays? These are dried plants such as millet, flax and wheat. These are safe for your hamster.

I am sorry you came across people who were not friendly. I actually think a 75 gallon tank is the best size. Here in the UK we have a minimum of 40 inches by 20 inches for a hamster tank or cage. The 40 long will be shallow and difficult to get enough bedding in. I would go for 10 inches of compressed bedding so your new friend can make lots of lovely tunnels.

If you compress the bedding then it will be fine and not collapse on your hamster. The bedding will have air pockets in and they will be safe. :) My favourite bedding is paper bedding.

It is unfortunate you do not have space for a bigger tank. Perhaps there is a way of moving furniture or even having the tank on the floor on an aquarium mat.
I have to clear everything on an entire wall to insert a table that would be long enough for a 40 gallon. I'm not even sure a 75 gallon is possible than.

The wall has a dresser container with clothes, on which is the 10 gallon tank, than theres a case containing part of my warhammer army, plus like 50 painted minis, makeup, books, on a triangular table in the corner, wedging the case between the dresser container etc. its not my ideal scenario to take everything thats mine out of the room for a very large enclosure.

It'd be cool to know what science says- sure bigger can be better, but will a hamster get depressed and ill prematurely just because his cage is 6 inches shorter than a 40 gallon, or will he live life knowing none the wiser being content? Have 40 gallons been proven to make them live longer than a 20 gallon?

Here is some information which discusses some science based on the cage sizes.

I understand how difficult it can be to fit a large tank. I had to get rid of some of my furniture to fit mine in but it is so worth it to see my hamster happy.

Some people may not understand why we like to give our hamsters large tanks but do not let them make you feel bad as hamster lovers understand. :)

Hopefully your hamster would be happy in a 40 gallon tank. You can let him go in a playpen for added enrichment which will keep him stimulated.

Very obvious negative effects like depression and illness tend to only happen to dwarf hamsters in extremely small cages. Dwarf hamsters might become aggressive, restless or obese in small cages, or they might chew the cage bars (if it's a barred cage), although weirdly there doesn't seem to be much if any correlation with lifespan. In medium-sized cages, there can be more subtle effects but for the most part, it's not that the hamster is necessarily discontent in a medium sized cage, but that they'd be more content in a larger one which is why it is best to go for the biggest one possible. If you can clear a space for a 40 gallon I think you will be glad in the long run because once a 30 gallon is set up and filled with bedding and you've seen your hamster living in it for a while, it will probably begin to seem a bit restrictive.

Very obvious negative effects like depression and illness tend to only happen to dwarf hamsters in extremely small cages. Dwarf hamsters might become aggressive, restless or obese in small cages, or they might chew the cage bars (if it's a barred cage), although weirdly there doesn't seem to be much if any correlation with lifespan. In medium-sized cages, there can be more subtle effects but for the most part, it's not that the hamster is necessarily discontent in a medium sized cage, but that they'd be more content in a larger one which is why it is best to go for the biggest one possible. If you can clear a space for a 40 gallon I think you will be glad in the long run because once a 30 gallon is set up and filled with bedding and you've seen your hamster living in it for a while, it will probably begin to seem a bit restrictive.
I mean I get aggressive and restless in a small cage which is understandable. His current setup seems roomier and he can actually burrow, whereas in the pet store it was probably like a 5 gallon enclosure. yuck.

The maximum tablespace I can accomodate for without tearing my room apart is 40 inches (its 41 inches long but whatever, leave an inch for anxiety). Man screw warhammer 40k for taking up so much space :(

I mean I get aggressive and restless in a small cage which is understandable. His current setup seems roomier and he can actually burrow, whereas in the pet store it was probably like a 5 gallon enclosure. yuck.

The maximum tablespace I can accomodate for without tearing my room apart is 40 inches (its 41 inches long but whatever, leave an inch for anxiety). Man screw warhammer 40k for taking up so much space :(
A 40 inch long enclosure is a nice size for a dwarf hamster. I think you should be able to give him a good enclosure :)

Yes, 40 inches is great. Just to let you know, Niteangel do tank style cages if you wanted to check those out.😊

Is a pine cone an okay enclosure item? I found a pinecone in the grass in a place where no pinecone producing trees were around and considered it to be good luck (making meaning in my boring life where I can find it with suspension of disbelief)

Is a pine cone an okay enclosure item? I found a pinecone in the grass in a place where no pinecone producing trees were around and considered it to be good luck (making meaning in my boring life where I can find it with suspension of disbelief)
They are but I usually buy mine so I know they are safe. I am not sure if it would be safe once heated in an oven but hopefully somebody else will know.😊

Just caught up with this :-) Your winter white hammy sounds adorable and it's clear you already know about rodents. Hamsters are great little things - once they've settled in and got to know you - they can be a bit shy or skitty at first.

In terms of a cage, you wouldn't want to go any smaller than a 40 gallon breeder tank. That isn't as long as a 40 gallon long tank, but it's a much better depth. It's 36" by 18" deep by 16" tall. As Rainbow says, a 75 gallon tank is ideal as that's about 40" x 20". You can get dollar per gallon sales at petco sometimes, if that helps.

Uk charities have published new guidelines recently, saying dwarf hamsters need just as much space as Syrian hamsters and the recommended size is at least 40" x 20". If you can fit that in it would be great. But the 40 gallon breeder isn't bad - it's 4" shorter and providing you create a very enriched set up that would be a good tank too - I believe in the US a 40 gallon breeder is seen as about the minimum recommended size.

It's at night when hamsters are so active and need the space.

For a wheel - it needs to be an upright wheel rather than a saucer/spinning disk. A good option for a dwarf hamster is the 9" silent runner wheel (my dwarf hamster has that one) :-)

Hello and welcome by the way :-) Which is the bigger wheel you have at the moment? It can be a minefield working out what's what setting up a hamster cage the first time.

The basics are - a big enough enclosure or cage, at least 8" deep substrate (ideally 10" or more), a suitable wheel, a sand bath, a large house that's dark inside and a platform. A platform is a place they can sit under or climb onto and a place to put heavier ceramic items so they don't sink in the substrate.

Then you fill in around those things - with floor tunnels and hides (cardboard is fine). Sprays are popular now as they're natural forage (things like dried millet sprays) and provide a bit of cover in the cage. Hamsters don't like too much open space, being prey animals, and like plenty of overhead cover (eg platform and tunnels). I wouldn't put live plants in personally.

As for storage - I had the same issue when we got our first hamster but got a bit creative - although it did end up with replacing a piece of furniture for a tall shelf unit - which created more floorspace for the cage, and all the other items went on the shelves. I was very pleased with the change as I ended up having more storage space than before :) I can't quite visualise where your warhammer items are - end of the dresser? But maybe you could get some shelves fitted on the wall for them? Difficult decisions :) But sometimes the arrangement ends up better than before.

Back