ikea detolf background.

saramolloy

Reaction score
hi guys! i’m new here :)

ive recently gotten an ikea detolf as an enclosure and i’ve been wanting a background for it like maybe something forest themed?

does anyone know where i can find a background like that? i’ve watched multiple videos of people with gorgeous decorative backgrounds but can’t seem to find where they get them.

i want the background to fit from one side of the enclosure to the next, so it’s a whole piece and no just several pieces of it placed on (to the point where it looks choppy, uneven, and weird if that makes sense)

pleaseee let me know if you have any suggestions :)

Hello and welcome to the forum. Would it be possible to use an aquarium background? I was thinking of one people use to decorate the back of fish tanks.

Here is a link to what I was thinking of.

Hello and welcome :) I am hopeless on things like this ha ha. I think Beryl might have some ideas as she has done things like this. And Rainbow's suggestion looks good. All I can think is a few sheets of identical wrapping paper fixed to the outside so the joins don't show. However if you could find a roll of wallpaper with a suitable pattern on, that would wrap right round.

Maybe something like this?

Jungle wallpaper

Jungle wallpaper 1.jpg

Jungle wallpaper 2.jpg

Hello & welcome to the forum.

Aquarium & terrarium backgrounds are all I can think of too, might be worth looking around some aquatic & reptile shops if you have any nearby or just search online.

Another thing to consider is cost and how much of the background will be visible once deep substrate, furnishings and other enrichment has been added.

The aquarium vinyl background would need to be custom made for a detolf i would have thought but would give you a scene and the vinyl would cling to the glass. It would probably cost more than thr detolf.

An inexpensive option would be wall or wrapping paper and doublesided tape. It would give you a pattern rather than a scene but you could change it should you see one you like better.

I'd set up the detolf first and take it from there. I have added a background to a tank before and covered the sides as well to remove the exposed 'fishtank' look for a shy hamster. I used wrapping paper because it was a cheap and instant option.

That wallpaper I linked wasn’t cheap either!

Aquarium backgrounds would be easier to attach without needing tape. This one comes in 122cm x 46 cm so two of those would wrap right round a detolf with just a join in the middle at the back. The detolf is 163cm long and about 40cm down each side so full length would be about 223cm - two of these backgrounds would be 242cm so should go all the way round.

Although actually the end pieces are wood so you only need 163 for the back!

In which case two of the 90 x 50 cm pieces might be better (but then more height would need to be trimmed off which might spoil the picture).

Are we looking at UK or US I’m a bit confused now!

There are some cheaper terrarium backgrounds on Amazon that come in larger sizes, not sure of the exact size but something like this might work.

I think we just linked the same one at the same time :-).

Good point - are you in the US Saramolloy? :-)

Another thing to consider is cost and how much of the background will be visible once deep substrate, furnishings and other enrichment has been added.

The aquarium vinyl background would need to be custom made for a detolf i would have thought but would give you a scene and the vinyl would cling to the glass. It would probably cost more than thr detolf.

An inexpensive option would be wall or wrapping paper and doublesided tape. It would give you a pattern rather than a scene but you could change it should you see one you like better.

I'd set up the detolf first and take it from there. I have added a background to a tank before and covered the sides as well to remove the exposed 'fishtank' look for a shy hamster. I used wrapping paper because it was a cheap and instant option.
i could easily find wrapping paper from the dollar store so i could try that :)
i’m very extra with how i want to make the enclosure look like haha
i’m also lazy and low maintenance so i think i’ll have a visit to the dollar store today 😅

i’m still figuring out how to reply to everyone.. but thank you all for your help! i appreciate it so much :)
i’ll visit some pet stores to see if i could find some aquarium/terrarium background of some sort.

Back