Introducing Pebble and Bandit!

swampystorm

Reaction score
Hi I’d like to introduce myself and my two boys!

The mostly brown hamster is pebble and the white with brown head is bandit. Sweet but timid boys. I’ve had pebble about a month and bandit around 2 1/2 weeks.

Pebble was originally in a Savic hamster heaven cage, but realised this was too small, so I built an ikea kompliment cage. Bandit was in the large habitat 3 from PAH, but after building one kompliment cage I couldn’t leave him out!

I’m by no means good at DIY at all, but building the cages themselves wasn’t difficult. I sealed them with marine safe clear sealants too! However, the lid was difficult for me. It turns out building a simple wooden frame isn’t that simple at all, however I got there in the end!

I am using megazorb bedding, which is wood pulp. It seems to hold burrows well and is only £11.50 from my local equine supplies store. This is complemented by a mixture of undyed reptile sand without anything added and coco coir for a digging pit and Timothy hay.

I’m planning on getting some branches/cork bark and some ceramic hides as well as upgrading to a prettier water bottle on pay day.

Attachments

• IMG_1376.jpeg
    IMG_1376.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1367.jpeg
    IMG_1367.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1430.jpeg
    IMG_1430.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 477E3D2A-F1EA-4DA2-8335-873D2D3BD123.jpeg
    477E3D2A-F1EA-4DA2-8335-873D2D3BD123.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 17
Hello and welcome! Pebble and bandit are both gorgeous! I'm really impressed you made the diy cages - I am not good at diy 😂

Their set ups look amazing :-)

Welcome to the forum 👋 Your enclosures for Pebble and Bandit look great! It's super that Pebble is already sitting in your hand after 4 weeks. Look forward to hearing all about them as they settle in ☺️

Reactions: Maz
Welcome to the forum 👋 Your enclosures for Pebble and Bandit look great! It's super that Pebble is already sitting in your hand after 4 weeks. Look forward to hearing all about them as they settle in ☺️
Thank you sooo much!

I have a winter white coming tomorrow too! Just setting up their new cage. Unfortunately a narrowing in one of the support bars of the bucastate 2.0, but managed to widen in with a knife and got a further £10 off, it’s secure so not too worried and certainly not going through the return process for that!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 5
Honestly I wouldn’t bother with the bucastate. I put 20cm of bedding in, the front screen bowed, popped out of the bottom. I knew about the bowing but popping out of metal at the bottom is beyond a joke!

Sounds dodgy 🙁 Perhaps they are offloading old stock for a discount.

Reactions: Maz
I’ve heard of that happening with 30cm of bedding and the first version of the bucatstate. Is yours v1 or v2? I thought they had strengthened it.

That is very annoying. Is there anything you can adapt?

I’ve sent it back.

I’ve gone with a basic cage, until the aura 120 plexi is available in the UK. I much prefer a barred cage, I love the front access and ventilation.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 8
Good move. That's a good sized cage - it's quite deep/wide. :)

Back