Is chipsi classic safe

Em_

Reaction score
Hello I am looking for cheap hamster subsrates and I found the chipsi classic pet litter. is safe for hamsters?
I wanted to ask:
is it safe for hamsters?
Is it better or worse at absorbing liquids?
Does it eliminate smell as effectively as paper bedding?
Please let me know if you have tried this before and if it is worth buying.

Chipsi 28203 Pet Litter 60 Litres​

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Chipsi-282...=chipsi+classic+bedding&qid=1678893107&sr=8-2

Attachments

• 1678893280576.png
    1678893280576.png
    507.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 1678893336145.png
    1678893336145.png
    691.9 KB · Views: 3
Hello Em I hope you and Cleo are doing well. :) Do you know which wood this litter is made from? Spruce and Aspen are the only woods I know that are safe for hamster bedding.

Have you looked into Fitch bedding? It is paper and cheaper then Kaytee. As well as absorbing urine it is also important for a bedding to hold burrows. Some people include hay in their wood based litter which helps the burrows to hold.

Reactions: Maz
Hello Em I hope you and Cleo are doing well. :) Do you know which wood this litter is made from? Spruce and Aspen are the only woods I know that are safe for hamster bedding.

Have you looked into Fitch bedding? It is paper and cheaper then Kaytee. As well as absorbing urine it is also important for a bedding to hold burrows. Some people include hay in their wood based litter which helps the burrows to hold.
Ok thank you :). I have just done a little bit more research and found out chipsi is made of softwood - unsafe. Thanks for the memo on fitch i will take a look but i am in the uk so i dont know if it is available here.

I just found out it is made from Fir and Pine. I would not use it as pine is not suitable for hamsters.

I just found out it is made from Fir and Pine. I would not use it as pine is not suitable for hamsters.
yes thank you also i can't find the fitch bedding online, do you have a link i couold possible use please?

Ok thank you :). I have just done a little bit more research and found out chipsi is made of softwood - unsafe. Thanks for the memo on fitch i will take a look but i am in the uk so i dont know if it is available here.
I am in the UK too. :) Fitch is available here.

Reactions: Em_
Hi. As Rainbow says there are other beddings. I have to say Fitch can be a bit slow sometimes (I use it). Kaytee clean and cozy is popular too.

The best solution for avoiding smells in the cage is a hamster potty/litter tray with chinchilla sand in it. Syrians will use a litter tray to pee in of your out it in their usual pee location (often a corner of the cage). The sand soaks up the pee. You just empty the litter tray once or twice a week and the rest of the cage stays clean and dry.

The chipsi classic is one of the better qualities of softwood shavings but it depends which version. One version is pine and spruce and spruce is ok but it doesn’t say the proportions of each. It’s a German brand and the German legislation is quite strict about kiln drying and dust extraction. But kiln drying still doesn’t remove all phenols and there are safer beddings. Also not all versions of the chipsi are ok - some are scented and that’s bad for hamsters.

Hi. As Rainbow says there are other beddings. I have to say Fitch can be a bit slow sometimes (I use it). Kaytee clean and cozy is popular too.

The best solution for avoiding smells in the cage is a hamster potty/litter tray with chinchilla sand in it. Syrians will use a litter tray to pee in of your out it in their usual pee location (often a corner of the cage). The sand soaks up the pee. You just empty the litter tray once or twice a week and the rest of the cage stays clean and dry.

The chipsi classic is one of the better qualities of softwood shavings but it depends which version. One version is pine and spruce and spruce is ok but it doesn’t say the proportions of each. It’s a German brand and the German legislation is quite strict about kiln drying and dust extraction. But kiln drying still doesn’t remove all phenols and there are safer beddings. Also not all versions of the chipsi are ok - some are scented and that’s bad for hamsters.
thank you. I have opted for the Kaytee clean and cosy from amazon becuase it is safer and i already use it in my cage. :)

and for the sand i do use komodo sand in a small plastic box thing but i am going to buy a larger glass dish soon for the sand bath. My hamster pees in it a lot and so i need to remove the dirty pieces daily 😂

• Love
I also use Kaytee bedding and komodo sand. It is wonderful Cleo pees in sand as it will be much easier for you to keep everything clean. I find using a little sieve helpful for cleaning sand. I am sure she will love the bigger sand bath. :)

I also use Kaytee bedding and komodo sand. It is wonderful Cleo pees in sand as it will be much easier for you to keep everything clean. I find using a little sieve helpful for cleaning sand. I am sure she will love the bigger sand bath. :)
thank you i’m sure she will :)

Some hamsters will use a potty and a sand bath - and may just pee in one or in both :-)

thank you. I have opted for the Kaytee clean and cosy from amazon becuase it is safer and i already use it in my cage. :)
How are you finding it? I haven't heard anyone on here with any issues, but some people on the Internet are complaining it is now quite dusty.

How are you finding it? I haven't heard anyone on here with any issues, but some people on the Internet are complaining it is now quite dusty.
Yes I bought it a couple of weeeks ago and i do find that it is. bit dusty. The problem is that CareFresh which i have heard is better is very expensive and CareFresh well, isn’t.

Hello Em. Sorry to hear you found the kaytee is dusty.

Carefresh is known to be dusty and not very good at holding burrows.

I have always used kaytee but I am thinking of trying fitch first due to reports kaytee is dusty now.

Hello Em. Sorry to hear you found the kaytee is dusty.

Carefresh is known to be dusty and not very good at holding burrows.

I have always used kaytee but I am thinking of trying fitch first due to reports kaytee is dusty now.
ok thank you

I had one batch of Kaytee that was dusty a couple of years ago and went back to using Fitch. Which is never dusty! I like it. I thought it was maybe just a one off during the pandemic as so many people seem happy with it these days. If you shake it out in a bag it should help any dust fall to the bottom I think.

I've never had any issues with Kaytee either. I don't really understand how it could be dusty since its paper. Sometimes there are particles of white fluff flying around in the air but i don't call that dust.

Back