Keeping hamsters warm at night in cold weather

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
It's getting to that time of year again when it gets cold at night. Not too bad at the moment in the Uk. But once we get nights where it's freezing and sub zero, something is needed to make sure hamsters don't get too cold or go into torpor.

Generally they are quite hardy and the main thing is they have plenty of nesting material to build a large cosy nest. But they don't like being too cold, just as they don't like being too warm in hot weather! Snugglesafes are good too for when it's just a bit cold at night. But in freezing weather, the room temperature needs to be warm enough.

Obviously the needs will vary depending on what kind of place you live in. Some places are cosy and well insulated and the heat from the evening may be enough to go through till the heating comes on in the morning.

We have an older draughty place and the heat just disappears. I use an oil filled electric heater on a thermostate - for when the weather is freezing or very cold. It only comes on when the temperature drops below a certain level (you set the level).

Others may have other ideas.

This is the snugglesafe - it goes in the microwave. Like a petsafe hot water bottle. But it shouldn't be used inside the cage. Some people put them under the cage by raising the cage and standing it on blocks eg - so there's a gap under it. I used to prop mine next to the house end of the cage.

They give off a very gentle heat so aren't any good for really cold or freezing weather but they help a bit on colder nights.

Click here - Snugglesafe

As all our fuel bills have rocketed - any other good ideas from people most welcome!

Good idea. We have a heated clothes drier that is cheap to run and gives a low heat off into the room. Might move it into the living room for the winter for the hamsters.

Good idea. We have a heated clothes drier that is cheap to run and gives a low heat off into the room. Might move it into the living room for the winter for the hamsters.
I'll look into that. The open plan kitchen lounge area downstairs is the only area i'm a bit concerned about because elderly Rodney lives in there. A heated clothes drier near his cage would probably be enough here in the South at times when the heating is off. Thanks.

It wasn't cheap to buy and it takes ages to dry clothes - like a day and overnight! But it was cheaper than using a tumble dryer and I didn't need a radiator on in the room we used it in as it warmed the room enough. But it might be cheaper to buy an oil filled radiator probably and have that on a thermostat and timer.

I am definitely having a rethink though as our electricity bill will double this year! It's difficult working out the kilowatt hours! The clothes dryer says it costs 10p an hour which isn't bad.

It's this one (out of stock). It's kind of like having an airing cupboard really. I have the cover for it as well as that helped. By the way it doesn't dry the clothes well if you hang them like that on the picture! But dries them really well and much quicker if you lay things out flat on the bars. Or hang the odd thing on the end/side poles.

This is the oil filled radiator with the thermostat - but this size is only really any good in a small room, where it works well. We have the bigger version for the open plan area (but that one isn't cheap to run). It might be cheap to run if you only put it on overnight on the thermostat rather than use it instead of central heating - which we do.

I would think for most people, there would only be the need to use an extra heater at night when it's freezing temperatures. And a house would retain enough warmth overnight until morning if it wasn't freezing temperatures.

Another thing is to put a blanket over the cage at night - but not cover it completely - just over the top and a little bit down the sides. That and a snugglesafe should do for all but the freezing weather.

But this is why hamsters do well with a large house - so they can build a large nest to keep warm. They sometimes pile substrate round their house as well to insulate it. I also put hemp mat on top of the house in winter.

I think a large, submerged house is quite warm and they block the door off. Nice thought that they want to keep the cold out and not me.
Henry used to insulate the inside walls in the winter with a thick layer of substrate.

That clothes dryer would be too bulky. A heated towel rail would be quite slimline but i think a snugglesafe on the outside would do the job if it gets that cold.
They keep the warmth all night. My OH inherited Clarissa's and loves it.

Hamsters are hardier than people think or the ones on a thin layer of wood chips and no bedding wouldn't survive. Poor things.

Yes it is very bulky! Hence I don't fancy having it in the living room.

Where we are it's due to be minus 6 degrees tonight so I'm going to have to have a bit of heat on overnight in our main room where the hamsters are. Probably just leave a heater on low overnight until early morning. I hope this frosty spell passes soon!

I just put mats on top of the cages to keep the chill off but had the heating on all day and evening so shouldn't be too bad.

The only one up here is Bernard who is running on his wheel but the rest is keeping warm in their nests.

Yes, i also hope that this cold spell will be over soon.

Me too. Now I’ve actually got a thermometer in the room I can at least see the temperature is not going less than 13 degrees which it had been for 3 nights. last night was warmer but we had rain whilst everyone else seemed to be having snow. My OH entertained Hams last night so I could lift the cage top completely away and take a peek in his nest. It was looking super snug so I just collected all the poops he’d left by the door.

It’s quite funny, there are lots of them all in the same spot and I think each day he must layer bedding over them. When I do the clean I just take them all away and replace with some clean bedding. Doesn’t bother him at all. The tiny opening into his actual nest makes me wonder how he even gets through. I love the way they build right over the top of themselves, so clever.

It's like an igloo here lol! But then we don't have much heating on in the day or evening, just the fire. So instead, having the heater on low overnight - then it's nice and warm in the mornings for us. Then cold during the day again. Still using less than we do most years though. Our room thermometer hasn't gone below 15 during the day though because warmth from the kitchen filters through.

Best keep an eye on their nests, lol. They build cave like nests to crawl into but they don't know when to stop.

Whenever Rodney slept in his hide i knew that he had no space left for himself in his house. I then took the roof off when he was free roaming and took enough bedding out to make room for the little man. He always moved straight back into his house.

Basically the hamsters are nice and warm at night, we are cold all day and wear extra clothes, but are warmish in the evenings!

Edit - 14 degrees (just lit the fire! So should warm up a bit soon).

It's been -5 for the past couple of nights. Meant to warm up to -2 over the next few days. Daytime temperature hasn't gone above 2C. Ares has nice deep bedding and I've had the heating on so the room where he is has stayed above 18°c.

Back