Kuy

Ah thank
If they tunnel under the houses, they do sink 😊

You don’t need to buy legs - you can just glue dowels on as legs. I bought pine or beech 8mm round dowels on Amazon - 30cm long and you just cut them to the length you want (they are very easy to cut even with a tiny saw) but you would need a saw of some kind to cut them. Then glue the dowels to the front outside of the house (and sides).

So you work out how long you want the legs (eg the current depth of substrate under the house) - say 20m. Then you add on the height of the house (just under the full height to under where the roof sits). So if the house is 9cm high up to the height of the underneath of the roof then the dowels need to be 29cm long - and 9cm of that is glued to the outside wall of the house - which gives it a secure fixing. So if you had the substrate 21cm deep and 30 cm dowels, there would be no need to cut them 😊

The downside to that is it’s not as quick as just taking the hamster out while you slot pre made legs on. You would need to take the house out and maybe allow 12 to 24 hours for the glue to set - so you’d need to pop a temporary house in the same place (maybe a shoebox house).
Ah thanks Maz, so the glue is still. Now i know the legs name. So far i only know people use kind of a stick as a leg for DIY, i though it was chopstick 😆

It does look a bit like a chopstick :-) These are the things I mean.

Wood dowels

However, chopsticks might work too! If they are made of wood :)

The difficult thing will be finding non toxic wood glue. It does need strong wood glue to hold them - but a lot of wood glue has toxic fumes. I've always used ponal, which is a German non toxic wood glue and it doesn't smell of anything. It's hard enough to get in the Uk so you might not be able to get it, plus it's quite expensive. About £12 a bottle.

So it might actually be cheaper to buy legs! I did buy some niteangel legs for one of my Happy Henry houses (when I needed some quickly) and they worked ok. The legs you buy have grooves cut out of the top in a cross shape so they just slot onto the bottom of the house and no glue needed.

It does look a bit like a chopstick :-) These are the things I mean.

Wood dowels

However, chopsticks might work too! If they are made of wood :)

The difficult thing will be finding non toxic wood glue. It does need strong wood glue to hold them - but a lot of wood glue has toxic fumes. I've always used ponal, which is a German non toxic wood glue and it doesn't smell of anything. It's hard enough to get in the Uk so you might not be able to get it, plus it's quite expensive. About £12 a bottle.

So it might actually be cheaper to buy legs! I did buy some niteangel legs for one of my Happy Henry houses (when I needed some quickly) and they worked ok. The legs you buy have grooves cut out of the top in a cross shape so they just slot onto the bottom of the house and no glue needed.
Yeah i though it also, because the my multichamber joints are not match and loose, i think i need to ask nearby woodcrafter to make some legs like niteangel ones. Too stick it with only glue would make some part of multichamber fall off.

Thanks Maz, this is really some insight for me and helpful information as well 😁

Back