Less hair on one side of the face

Nikaaa

Reaction score
Hi guys!

This is something I spiral every now and then about but I think its just me being paranoid.

My little George sadly didn’t come from an ethical background, I got him from a random guy who was selling Syrian hamsters but at the time I wasn’t aware of things like this. He wasn’t a lisenced breeder so I’m unsure on his ethics so I can’t comment on that.

George always had less hair on one side of his face

IMG_2792.jpeg

Depends on the photo angle sometimes it’s not noticeable at all in photos or real life but when he fully turns to that side you can see I more (especially someone who checks my hamster constantly for health checks)

IMG_2759.jpeg
From this angle there is nothing.

He had that since I got him and I thought at first it could have been due to his previous cage being maybe too small and wired? And he could have rubbed off it but the hair never really grew back at all. I tried giving him more protein but nothing at all happened. I gave some time to see as I know I panic easily but nothing really happened since.

I was thinking mites before but he doesn’t seem to scratch himself constantly, and his hair doesn’t fall out anywhere. It’s just that part of his face doesn’t grow much hair. He could just be like this but I wanna hear everyone’s stories maybe I am missing something?

Also additonally George has 6 fingers on one foot 😅 So this made a conclusion to me that the breeder wasn’t ethical at all once I learned more about hamsters.

My boyfriend noticed the 6th finger so props to him! But it doesn’t seem to affect my hamster in any way. Just his little quirk ☺️
ad57630b-499d-43c7-9638-d55f4f976e81.jpeg
Here you can see his extra finger on the foot. It’s also on the same side as where he has less hair 😅

Attachments

• IMG_2792.jpeg
    IMG_2792.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1
Aw - he is so adorable. It's an odd quirk to have an extra finger :) I can see what you mean about less fur on one side - it shows more clearly on that third photo. I have found that these light coloured cream and white hamsters can look like that sometimes - pink showing through fur - maybe partly being obvious due to their colouring. But as you say it is only one side. It could simply be the way he was born - like a birth mark. I also wondered about him rubbing more on one side and he might do that - they rub up against things when scent marking and maybe he does it on one side more than the other.

I think it's not really something to worry about, but you could try giving him a pinch of linseeds daily - they work wonders for fur growth and condition - I've found that from experience in the past. They also seem to like them and lick them up. I put them on a separate little dish and get the brown linseeds (AKA flax seeds).

Aw - he is so adorable. It's an odd quirk to have an extra finger :) I can see what you mean about less fur on one side - it shows more clearly on that third photo. I have found that these light coloured cream and white hamsters can look like that sometimes - pink showing through fur - maybe partly being obvious due to their colouring. But as you say it is only one side. It could simply be the way he was born - like a birth mark. I also wondered about him rubbing more on one side and he might do that - they rub up against things when scent marking and maybe he does it on one side more than the other.

I think it's not really something to worry about, but you could try giving him a pinch of linseeds daily - they work wonders for fur growth and condition - I've found that from experience in the past. They also seem to like them and lick them up. I put them on a separate little dish and get the brown linseeds (AKA flax seeds).
Yes, I definitely believe it’s not a health concern but I did need some reassurance haha

Yes, the extra toe is his unique quirk 😂 He is my special little guy ☺️

Okay that makes sense, the lighter white colour can make the skin more visible . That makes sense! I’ll try the flax seeds, I actually have them in my house as I was making cookies for him with it before ! Thank you 🥰

• Love
Reactions: Maz
See how it is after two weeks of daily flax seeds. I've had hair grow back with them before and it makes their coat lovely. Kind of thicker and glossier. If it doesn't grow back after that then maybe it is just a birth mark type thing where hair doesn't grow. His extra toe is very cute :)

See how it is after two weeks of daily flax seeds. I've had hair grow back with them before and it makes their coat lovely. Kind of thicker and glossier. If it doesn't grow back after that then maybe it is just a birth mark type thing where hair doesn't grow. His extra toe is very cute :)
I’ll keep you Uptade after two weeks and let you know!!!

I find a lot of hamsters have thinner or shorter fur on their faces, and as Maz said, it's more obvious with white hamsters because the fur is slightly translucent anyway. I would look through his cage and see if there could be anything he gnaws regularly that rubs on that area but most likely it's an individual quirk. Or perhaps even due to the way he sleeps? Flax seeds may help with his overall fur quality as Maz suggested, or hemp seeds.

Reactions: Maz
George is so cute. See if the seeds helps, but I would agree with the others, it doesn't look bad.
The extra toe though, even cuter 😃

Back