Little one dwarf hamster food

thespiffingbrit

Reaction score
What is your opinion on the little one dwarf hamster food? I changed from the tiny friends farm harry hamster mix as he wasn't eating it all. The one he's currently on is mixed with meal worms and he emptys the bowl

Attachments

• 39370__98325.1692363934.jpg
    39370__98325.1692363934.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1
It's quite popular :-) The ingredients list looks good, but it is really quite low in protein at 13.7%, so the protein needs supplementing as hamsters need 18 to 20% protein. You could supplement it with fresh food like chopped hard boiled egg, and things like freeze dried chicken and mealworms. That can mean it's less economical by the time you've supplemented the protein.

Another good one is the Bunny Dream Dwarf Hamster expert food. That has more protein at 15.5% so it will still need supplementing a bit but not as much so shouldn't be much added cost. However the food is more expensive at about £10 a bag from Vetsend. But you would only real need maybe chopped hard boiled egg a couple of times a week and the occasional nut, to supplement the food :-) It already contains mealworms. I actually prefer the Bunny Dream - it even smells nice :-) But it does cost more.

Another one is the Rodipet hybrid dwarf hamster food. I've used that before and it has the right levels of protein so doesn't need supplementing really. The downside to that is the cost of postage as it ships from Rodipet in Germany and the postage is about £8! On top of the cost of the food. What I did when I used that was buy 3 or 4 at one time as the postage cost was the same whether you bought one tub or four tubs. The food itself costs less than the Bunny Dream food. (About £8.40 a tub). It has 17.5% protein. I used this when I had a hybrid dwarf hamster and it was popular. It would be my first choice for a dwarf hamster, if you can accept the hassle of ordering a few in one go (and the cost up front). Partly because it's tailored for hybrid dwarf hamsters (who have a predisposition to diabetes) and partly because there is no need to worry about supplementing the protein.

However the little one mix is a good mix as well - but you do need to provide quite a bit more protein. The protein levels are particularly important in their first year of life especially - it's when they build muscle.

Back