Live food

swampystorm

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it safe to feed live crickets, mealworms and locusts to hamsters? Obviously bought from pet shops to feed to reptiles.

I would advise against it as just in case your hamster were to pouch the insect in their cheek pouch, the insect could bite and harm the hamster’s cheek pouch. I’ve read about buying mealworms but crushing the mealworms heads before feeding to their hamster so the mealworm couldn’t harm them.

People do feed live crickets - make sure it doesn't escape! In the enclosure is probably best. Some hamsters will be interested and others won't. Live mealworms can bite the hamster so you need to remove the heads first. I'm not entirely sure about locusts.

Okay awesome! Probably best to remove the heads of the crickets first too, as I know they can nip the feet of leopard geckos!

Locusts are okay to feed live but try to match the size of the locust to your hamster. They can grow very large! I would go for ones around the same size as your hamster's head.

Might be easier just to give dead ones and see if the hamster is interested! Mine won't touch them,

I read some article that cricket mostly have pinworm inside ot it. Hamster doesnt have any kind of metabolic to fight againts pinworm and Meanwhile reptile need pinworm

I read that somewhere too but I'm not sure how true it is or whether that also applies to dried crickets. I haven't heard of any issues before. I was worried when Raffy ate a slug, as they carry bloodworms, but my vet said bloodworms wouldn't survive in a hamster as they have a different make up to dogs.

I imagine it depends on the producer. If they come from a reputable producer they shouldn't have any parasites.

I read some article that cricket mostly have pinworm inside ot it. Hamster doesnt have any kind of metabolic to fight againts pinworm and Meanwhile reptile need pinworm
Hi Ponyo,
You are correct that some live insects can carry parasites, however reptiles don't need pinworms any more than hamsters do, and may suffer from rodent pinworms if they are fed live food. For our precious hammies, I would stick with a reputable freeze-dried product which will kill any parasites inside the insects.

I read that somewhere too but I'm not sure how true it is or whether that also applies to dried crickets. I haven't heard of any issues before. I was worried when Raffy ate a slug, as they carry bloodworms, but my vet said bloodworms wouldn't survive in a hamster as they have a different make up to dogs.

I agree better to keep to dried/freeze dried ones.

Hi Ponyo,
You are correct that some live insects can carry parasites, however reptiles don't need pinworms any more than hamsters do, and may suffer from rodent pinworms if they are fed live food. For our precious hammies, I would stick with a reputable freeze-dried product which will kill any parasites inside the insects.
@Zelda
Thanks for correcting me, Zelda
Yeah, im more prefer into dried or freeze one. I do view some people feed live cricket, however im still not sure about it. Every animal have their instinct to defend themselves and cricket can bite for defend if im not wrong.

@Daisy
You are right, Daisy.
If we still want to give a live cricket, we should make sure to bought it from reputable crickets breeder that breed live cricket as a food.

@Maz
Did the slug enter Raffy's cage?

No Raffy was running round on the floor and I saw him doing something and went over and it was a slug on the carpet. Raffy was trying to get it so I managed to move him away while I went to get some kitchen paper to pick it up, but as I came back he went got it and started eating it! And pouched some of it urgh! I spent ages trying to get him to depouch it and couldn't. I called the vet next morning for advice. Didn't find any slug remnants in the cage so he must have eaten it. He did seem quite excited :oops:

It was awful. It's in his thread somewhere :-)

Back