Meet Higgins!

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
I kept this under my hat 😊. Today I picked up another little Syrian boy. He’ll be 7 weeks old on Tuesday (ie just under 7 weeks old now). As usual there were no rescue male Syrians in my area for ages. He has come from a National Hamster Council ethical pedigree breeder in my area - her hamsters have 100cm natural cages and enrichment. He's yellow and both his parents are yellows. The colour is lighter than a golden hamster. He has a sweet little face - still a baby face!

He seemed friendly and curious when I collected him and is now in his Savic plaza cage. He had a bit of an explore and then went to bed. I’ll have some videos to add later when I start a thread for him, but for now here are a couple of photos of when he arrived.

Personality wise it’s hard to tell but he seems quite spirited. Dug himself out of the house quite quickly :)

Higgins 1.jpg

Higgins 2.jpg

Higgins 3.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to your new home little Higgins! What a handsome fellow

Reactions: Maz
Thanks Steve. I'll process the videos later :-)

Wow 🤩 You did keep that one quiet!! Welcome Higgins 👋

• Haha
Hello gorgeous Higgins. He's so cute.

• Love
I nearly announced it when I found out, but wanted to make sure it went ahead as planned as all sorts has happened the last couple of weeks, including the odd health issue :-) I only set the cage up over the last couple of days :)

He's in a standard Plaza with just under 6" of bedding to start with, as he's come straight from living with his baby siblings, and I want to suss out his personality and let him settle a bit, but can easily add more bedding. He's already been digging even in 6"! He went in the house and came out outside it under the substrate ha ha.

I've gone back to having a roof run on this occasion and used my wood shelves - other Syrians have always loved the roof run and it's somewhere else to go. I had most things needed already, but needed to buy a new house and a new ceramic hide. He has my spare pink trixie wheel as didn't want to stretch to a new wheel as well! I'm sure he doesn't mind having a pink wheel! The house is a long story! But did get another one here on time. I had a Rodipet house but ruined it with some "off" plastikote :rolleyes:

He now has a happy henry homes multiroom house - which is a better size anyway.

IMG_2113 jpeg.jpeg

Hello gorgeous Higgins. He's so cute.
Thank you Hank :-) There is actually a shelf under that curved tube - it doesn't just end in mid air ha ha - it doesn't show very well on that photo. Different angle here

Have some nice videos of him exploring the cage when I've sorted them out :)

IMG_2115 jpeg.jpeg

Absolutely fantastic Maz, I was hoping you would get a second hamster 🐹 Higgins is a particularly handsome hamster! He has a great name! It's there story behind his name?

• Love
Thank you :-) No I just had a shortlist and liked it and thought it suited him :)

I've started his own diary thread for him now in the Syrian section and added the video of him exploring his cage when he moved in. It's here

I kept this under my hat 😊. Today I picked up another little Syrian boy. He’ll be 7 weeks old on Tuesday (ie just under 7 weeks old now). As usual there were no rescue male Syrians in my area for ages. He has come from a National Hamster Council ethical pedigree breeder in my area - her hamsters have 100cm natural cages and enrichment. He's yellow and both his parents are yellows. The colour is lighter than a golden hamster. He has a sweet little face - still a baby face!

He seemed friendly and curious when I collected him and is now in his Savic plaza cage. He had a bit of an explore and then went to bed. I’ll have some videos to add later when I start a thread for him, but for now here are a couple of photos of when he arrived.

Personality wise it’s hard to tell but he seems quite spirited. Dug himself out of the house quite quickly :)

View attachment 8240

View attachment 8241

View attachment 8242
Congrats! He's adorable :)

• Love
Back