My hamster scratches himself a lot and made a wound

ArtemisS

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on the forum. My hamster has been scratching himself a lot for a few days and there is a strange wound-like thing in the same places on the right and left side of his back. I am sending the scratching area and the video of the scratching. Do you think there is anything bad about it? I am very scared for it, can you help me?

Video link; https://gofile.io/d/xYm2a8
IMG20240609213224.jpg

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear your hammy is having some issues. Hamsters do actually scratch quite a lot as normal, as part of grooming, but if he has scratched himself sore then something might be going on. How old is he? And have you checked his nails? If his nails have got too long that could cause him to scratch himself sore. But another common cause could be mites. You can't actually see them with the naked eye. A vet would need to do a skin scraping and look under the microscope to diagnose if it was mites.

So I'd suggest checking his nails and if they're ok, then take him to the vet for an assessment and skin scraping. They will also be able to prescribe any medication needed. They might prescribe an antibiotic cream for the sores as well as do a skin scraping for mites.

If possible, it's better to see an exotics vet. The cost is no different usually, but they know a lot more about hamsters.

Which country are you in?

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry to hear your hammy is having some issues. Hamsters do actually scratch quite a lot as normal, as part of grooming, but if he has scratched himself sore then something might be going on. How old is he? And have you checked his nails? If his nails have got too long that could cause him to scratch himself sore. But another common cause could be mites. You can't actually see them with the naked eye. A vet would need to do a skin scraping and look under the microscope to diagnose if it was mites.

So I'd suggest checking his nails and if they're ok, then take him to the vet for an assessment and skin scraping. They will also be able to prescribe any medication needed. They might prescribe an antibiotic cream for the sores as well as do a skin scraping for mites.

If possible, it's better to see an exotics vet. The cost is no different usually, but they know a lot more about hamsters.

I live in Turkey, his nails are very long, at least when I hold them in my hand, I feel his nails very much, I will take him to the vet next week, I hope it will help, after cleaning his house with vinegar water, he started to itch so much, I think he is hurting himself because his nails are long.

Are mites in hamsters dangerous to humans? and also the hamster is 2.5 months old

That might be it. The vet can clip them for you when you go and show you how to do it so you can do it yourself next time :-) It's important not to cut the quick of the nail or it can bleed a lot and be painful. So if going to the vet I'd ask for a check up and a nail clipping so they know what you're going for. When there ask them about a skin scraping for mites.

Are mites in hamsters dangerous to humans? and also the hamster is 2.5 months old
Aw he's just a baby! He shouldn't have really long nails if he's a baby! No mites aren't dangerous to hamsters or humans. In fact the mites live on the hamster normally - you can't see them. If their immune system is low for some reason, sometimes stress, the mites can proliferate and cause itching.

Just to add, if it is mites, the vet can give some treatment for that. Let us know how you get on :-)

Thank you for the photo, it's nice and clear. The vet should be able to diagnose and treat once he has done a small scraping to analyse. If hammy is living in a highly humid environment, in bedding that can retain air moisture, it is worth trying to lower the humidity in the room if possible. You can buy a cheap humidity meter for pot plants on the internet to give a rough guide. If the air is too dry, then try to increase the humidity in a balanced way. But I second that seeing the vet as soon as you can is necessary.

Back