Nail cutting

RainbowBrite

Hamster Guardian
Founder Member
Reaction score
Would anybody mind telling me if Orko needs his nails cutting? I just got this great close up and his nails look long suddenly.
20230204-163327.jpg

That is a great photo 😍
His nails don’t look overly long as far as I can tell, hard to say for sure from a photo though.

That is a great photo 😍
His nails don’t look overly long as far as I can tell, hard to say for sure from a photo though.
Thank you. I am actually proud of that photo. :)

Oh that is such a relief. I am not really sure how long they are meant to be but they look longer then they were when I gave him a health check. He is forever on his cork logs so I would have thought that would have helped.

Still can't see anything much but they certainly don't look too long or I'd see that. It tends to happen when they get older and are less active (with Syrians anyway). I don't think our last robo ever had long nails.

Still can't see anything much but they certainly don't look too long or I'd see that. It tends to happen when they get older and are less active (with Syrians anyway). I don't think our last robo ever had long nails.
Thank you. I am so relieved. I was dreading having to get him out as he hates that.

Thank you! Yes I can see his nails now :) I see what you mean - the front ones are noticeable, but they don't look overly long.
So shall I leave them? I actually do not know what long nails and normal nails are meant to look like. Maybe that would be an idea for a post on here so members new to hamsters know what to look for.

I think it’s a bit hard to show in a photo unless they’re really overgrown, I’m pretty sure you would know from looking at him if they were too long even though you may not have that experience yet it’s not too hard to tell. As Maz said it does tend to be more of a problem as they get older. I’m not sure how much cork helps but digging in the sand does to some extent. Does he have anything like a tile or something with a slightly rough surface in the cage?

Great photo of a very photogenic Orko!

Tbh, i've always thought that running on wood, tiles etc keeps nails trimmed is a bit of wishful thinking.

Some hamsters grow nails long and others don't. No idea why. As long as they don't start to curl, i don't think there's a problem. Have a good look at them next time you do a health check.

I think it’s a bit hard to show in a photo unless they’re really overgrown, I’m pretty sure you would know from looking at him if they were too long even though you may not have that experience yet it’s not too hard to tell. As Maz said it does tend to be more of a problem as they get older. I’m not sure how much cork helps but digging in the sand does to some extent. Does he have anything like a tile or something with a slightly rough surface in the cage?
He has a cooling tile, terracotta hides that he likes to scratch and dig and his water bottle stand is designed to trim nails when the hamster scratches. It has a rough material.

Great photo of a very photogenic Orko!

Tbh, i've always thought that running on wood, tiles etc keeps nails trimmed is a bit of wishful thinking.

Some hamsters grow nails long and others don't. No idea why. As long as they don't start to curl, i don't think there's a problem. Have a good look at them next time you do a health check.
Thank you. Luckily they are not curling yet I just thought they looked longer then they were. I guess it is wishful thinking they can file their own nails by scratching on things. I know you have had to cut your robo's nails before.

Back