New hamster not using wheel!

For the enclosure, it should be ok to spray it with small pet disinfectant, leave it for 15 mins or so and then wipe it down to remove the residue and leave it to air.

Thank you all once again for the words of wisdom, so helpful! I will definitely go with your recommendations of baking the log and vine in the oven (good idea to soak before to steam them Maz) and then soak the other items in F10 disinfectant (have just ordered now) before washing with soap. I glued moss onto the bendy bridge so in all honesty probably not salvageable but that was pretty cheap so happy to part with it and replace - same with the seagrass hide if that doesn't work in the oven!

I used a disinfectant called F10 because vets use it and I trust this brand. I used this to clean the cage. With the wooden items I put them in the oven for 45 minutes on the lowest heat and after 45 minutes I turned the oven off and left them there until they cooled.

After I disinfected everything I adopted my current hamster one month later.

I am very happy you are thinking of getting another hamster again. Just to let you know, I am also in London and adopted my hamster from India's hamster rescue. The owner of the rescue drove half way here as they are based in Kent.
Ooh and thank you for the rescue recommendation Rainbow! Great to know they were happy to meet halfway as yes surprisingly it is quite hard to find more London-based/centric rescues

Ooh and thank you for the rescue recommendation Rainbow! Great to know they were happy to meet halfway as yes surprisingly it is quite hard to find more London-based/centric rescues
It is tricky to find them here. There is ARC based in Surrey but it means a long journey.

This is plastikote by the way. It's a very small bottle but it goes a long way. I just use a small half inch paint brush. You brush it on very thinly. Wait for it to dry then do a second coat next day.

Ahaha I actually just ordered this too! Alongside the F10. Thank you so much :)

Yes such a good idea, I remember reading about it before but didn't quite bother but as we will have everything drying out anyway, this is the perfect opportunity to use it on everything.

Where did you get the F10 out of interest? :-) I've yet to try it.

So, I ordered this one off Amazon and thought it was easy enough to get... have just realised I ordered one for birds, didn't take note of the "Avian" 🤦‍♀️ How annoying, I'll have to cancel and re-order...

Think this is the correct one? Let us know Rainbow!

Reactions: Maz
So, I ordered this one off Amazon and thought it was easy enough to get... have just realised I ordered one for birds, didn't take note of the "Avian" 🤦‍♀️ How annoying, I'll have to cancel and re-order...

Think this is the correct one? Let us know Rainbow!
That does look like the correct one. I tried to search my order history but oddly could not find it.

I‘m so sorry I’ve missed this post and just wanted to send caring thoughts your way for the loss of little Oakley. So sad to read he has passed over the rainbow bridge 🌈 🐹

You had made him a wonderful home and can rest assured that although he was only with you for a short time, he knew he was loved and in a caring home. Sending hugs.

I‘m so sorry I’ve missed this post and just wanted to send caring thoughts your way for the loss of little Oakley. So sad to read he has passed over the rainbow bridge 🌈 🐹

You had made him a wonderful home and can rest assured that although he was only with you for a short time, he knew he was loved and in a caring home. Sending hugs.
Thank you for your thoughts and kind words. It really is sad that Oakley left us far too soon, but coming to terms with it now and truly accepting that he would've known he was loved and always had a loving, caring home with us, even in his short time. His excitable and curious 48hrs with us proved that he knew ❤️

Back