New substrates and how to avoid bugs

dwarfhamstersmom

Reaction score
Hey!

We’ve bought soft cork granule from Niteangel and we don’t know if we should do something before adding it to our hammy’s cage since we’re scared of mites 😅
In the case of the sprays, we do freeze them for two days before putting them on.
We also do not know how to keep substrates like litter box sand, coco husk and bedding -once the bag is opened-. At the moment what we do is to fold the bags tightly using pegs...
Any advice?

Thanks!

Hi. I bought those as well. I spread mine out on a baking tray and baked them for 30 mins at 100 degrees centigrade. Twice (they wouldn't all fit on the baking tray so did two "batches" :-)

Hi. I bought those as well. I spread mine out on a baking tray and baked them for 30 mins at 100 degrees centigrade. Twice (they wouldn't all fit on the baking tray so did two "batches" :-)
Is it fine if I just put the amount that I’m going to use during the next months? And if I need to change it (because she urinated on it) do it again?

Yes of course. Just sanitise the amount you need.

I tend not to sanitise sand and just assume it's ok. I can't see bugs living in it somehow. With bedding, just keep it in an area where it won't get damp. Eg in the house. If it's in a shed or garage it could get damp.

I tend not to sanitise sand and just assume it's ok. I can't see bugs living in it somehow. With bedding, just keep it in an area where it won't get damp. Eg in the house. If it's in a shed or garage it could get damp.
Thank you!

Reactions: Maz
Back