non toxic plywood

chacha_savage

Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm hoping to make all my hamster platforms and at least one multichamber hide but I'm coming across a pretty significant wood problem.

So I cant find any decently sized peices of solid wood that aren't like 18mm thick (which is going to be hard to use and really heavy if anything falls) and I dont really want to spend loads of money on small pieces then have to glue them all together.
And I'm struggling to find formaldehyde free/non toxic plywood. I live in the uk if anyone has any suggestions about where to get this.

But otherwise how worried do I need to be about plywood? Im planning on using coconut oil to help with wood porosity+cleaning if this makes any difference?
I also dont have a hamster yet so how much theyll chew stuff is a bit of a gamble

thanks!

I had the same trouble so just bought mine from Furry Naturals. I am sure a member who has experience with buying wood will know and reply soon. 😊

I used clear plastikote to paint mine to help with any urine going on them.

I’m not sure about the best place to source the wood, it is hard to find non toxic birch ply but someone might know a good source for kiln dried pine.
I was just thinking about the coconut oil idea, chewing is very variable with hamsters, some do & some don’t & you never know until they do! I think the coconut oil would be more likely to encourage chewing though & Plastikote would be a better option.

It must be available, as all Happy Henry's Homes items are made with formaldehyde-free plywood.

You could try this place - eco plywood. They use panguaneta wood though, which I haven't heard of.

It must be available, as all Happy Henry's Homes items are made with formaldehyde-free plywood.

You could try this place - eco plywood. They use panguaneta wood though, which I haven't heard of.

I think their wood is from Italy.

Actually I think Panguaneta is a company who makes poplar plywood but best to check that out.

I sent Matt from HHH a message on etsy and he has offered to sell me some smaller pieces of wood but it wont be cheap so I may end up just buying from him and TheSmallPawStore in the end! Doing a bit more research to see if i can make this work then gonna ask for early birthday money from my parents to buy hides, platforms etc I think.
(I am an adult and will be responsible for my future hamster dw)

That is a good idea. I tried many times to find places to buy wood to make things myself and I found it worked out more expensive.

I bought these hides for my robo and he loved them. Just linking them for you in case you want to see as I think they are reasonably priced.

Last edited:
I sent Matt from HHH a message on etsy and he has offered to sell me some smaller pieces of wood but it wont be cheap so I may end up just buying from him and TheSmallPawStore in the end! Doing a bit more research to see if i can make this work then gonna ask for early birthday money from my parents to buy hides, platforms etc I think.
(I am an adult and will be responsible for my future hamster dw)
The cheapest multiroom house is a cardboard one :-) Shoeboxes can make good houses. For platforms - if you want to make them - I'd just use plain pine wood and attach dowel legs. You can get it cut to size at a diy store. I also use that for shelves in a barred cage. They seem a bit thick and heavy but hold up fine if screwed in well. There are a couple of people on ebay who make pine shelves for cages and will make to the measurements you want. I think I paid about £18 for a pine shelf about 25cm deep and 112cm wide - complete with fixings.

For platforms it's easier with a piece of pine. You just drill a hole through it where you want the legs and drill a hole in the top of the dowels and screw them together. You can actually just glue the legs on but it's tricky being able to support the legs in place while the glue is drying. Especially if they're 30cm legs.

Plain kiln dried pine wood is easy to find and have cut to the size you want.

I bought a solid pine shelf 19cm wide 1.6cm depth x 190 cm long £8.49 from The Range dowels (legs) made from 30mm broom handle £1.49 local odd job shop Elmers carpenters glue Amazon £8.99 Plastikote matt White fast dry enamel paint that's made 2 good sized shelves plus a 10 cm hide plus a new roof for existing multi room

Back