Old hamster declining - what to do

scholes3

Reaction score
Hi, my hamster is 2 years, 3 months old. She has shown a steady decline in activity over the past few weeks, but this week has really slowed up. Barely eating or drinking, sleeping most of the time and doesn’t go far from her nest. She’s happy to be held.

She doesn’t seem distressed but is very much acting like an old lady in her final days. What should I do, if anything? Do I just provide her with comfort and warmth?

Thanks in advance

Hello and welcome to the forum,

i have two elderly hamsters myself and what i did and do is the following:

I lowered everything in their set up and made sure that everything is easily accessible. They have an extra water bottle close to their house and i scatter their hamster mix around it.

I offer soft foods as well like a bit of porridge, baby food and some Science Selective pellet that i softened in hot water first.
Their teeth may not be as strong as they used to be.
For hydration if she's not drinking much you can offer her small pieces of cucumber.

They get more treats than the other younger hamsters and i talk to them a lot.

One is on Metacam for arthritis but the other is on no medication.

To keep her comfortable and warm with plenty of nice, soft paperbased bedding is really all you can do now. Give her plenty of torn into strips, plain white toilet paper as well so she can add it to her nest.

I would also check her nest to make sure her nest is dry as sometimes elderly hamsters can become incontinent.

If she deteriorates and starts to suffer from pain or breathing difficulties you would need to contact the vet but if not then let nature take its course and enjoy the time you have left together.

Hello. I’m sorry to hear your hammy is fading. Beryl has said it all really. Just keep her comfortable and make sure she can access food and water easily. It is such a difficult time when you worry and wonder what next.

Hamsters are little troopers and they keep going with their normal habits as long as they can. I think that gives them some satisfaction in life all the while they can.

You could try offering her tasty things on a teaspoon to lick up. Like a bit of baby food or porridge. She might enjoy that and if she’s that age she’s probably having difficulty with her teeth too and not able to eat hard food much. Still keep putting it out though as sometimes they still like to pouch it and hoard it and keep those normal behaviours.

I’d also avoid cleaning her cage and having as little disturbance as necessary. Apart from occasionally spot cleaning any pee (and the nest check Beryl mentions).

Their nest becomes their world now - their safe cosy place. So if it can be left alone that’s comfort for them. If it is pee’d in then yes it will need some refurbishing. It helps if you can leave a bit of the old nest behind that’s dry - even if slightly whiffy - so it still smells familiar.

They can go on like this for some time or she may just go in her sleep one night. Or she may stop coming out of her nest. That’s when it gets tricky. How long do you wait if they just seem to be dying and not coming out of the nest.

Every situation is slightly different. But I think unless she starts to show signs of suffering or gives you a sign just keep her comfortable. She might even lick water from a teaspoon.

Do keep coming on here and let us know how she’s doing. Sometimes they give you a sign that they’ve had enough - and then there are decisions to make.

With our first Syrian he was like this for a long time. Would even perk up a bit sometimes if I had him out for a snuggle. He took to his nest but didn’t go. I then saw he’d had a prolapse and thought he must be in pain so decided to take him to the vets to help him on his way.

Your hammy is lucky to have a caring owner - but it’s such a difficult time x

Agree with all the above. Most of my hamsters have enjoyed porridge, oats soaked in a little warm water.

Hello and welcome to the forum,

i have two elderly hamsters myself and what i did and do is the following:

I lowered everything in their set up and made sure that everything is easily accessible. They have an extra water bottle close to their house and i scatter their hamster mix around it.

I offer soft foods as well like a bit of porridge, baby food and some Science Selective pellet that i softened in hot water first.
Their teeth may not be as strong as they used to be.
For hydration if she's not drinking much you can offer her small pieces of cucumber.

They get more treats than the other younger hamsters and i talk to them a lot.

One is on Metacam for arthritis but the other is on no medication.

To keep her comfortable and warm with plenty of nice, soft paperbased bedding is really all you can do now. Give her plenty of torn into strips, plain white toilet paper as well so she can add it to her nest.

I would also check her nest to make sure her nest is dry as sometimes elderly hamsters can become incontinent.

If she deteriorates and starts to suffer from pain or breathing difficulties you would need to contact the vet but if not then let nature take its course and enjoy the time you have left together.
Thank you so much for all this advice. She seems comfortable, just old. When your hamsters have got to this age have they tended to last a long time or do they decline quite rapidly?

Thanks so much again

Thank you so much for all this advice. She seems comfortable, just old. When your hamsters have got to this age have they tended to last a long time or do they decline quite rapidly?

Thanks so much again
Both my Syrians started to slow down and have health issues around their 2nd birthdays. They are nearly 2yrs 6mths and 2yrs 4mths now and still enjoying life.

They sleep a lot more and don't move as fast but i think they may well live a few more months. I hope so anyway.

Our first one lived until 2 years 8 months and lasted about 2 weeks once he stopped coming out of his house much. But he had to be pts (although was probably unconscious by then). He was using his wheel up to two weeks before he went - he wasn't really up to it, but enjoyed just hopping in, running for about 5 seconds and hopping out again. I had adjusted it so the entrance was virtually level with the substrate to it was easy for him to get in and out.

The only other Syrian we had, who passed naturally, I think that was maybe over a week or two as well. He kept going and then didn't come out one night and was gone by the following morning. He was about 2 years 3 months.

Hope you're doing ok.

Thanks so much again
If she seems comfortable but old, that sounds very positive. She could just keep going without any serious health issues. Some live to age 3 and then just go in their sleep.

Thank you so much for all your thoughts and advice, it's been so so appreciated.
I got her out to check her nest and give it a refresh. She couldn't find her way back to her nest afterwards and was stumbling and falling onto her right side frequently. It feels like there's either something wrong with her legs or she's maybe had a stroke? When she was out she did seem alert and had a little bit of blueberry, but tired very quickly.
From what some of you have said above, I really feel like she might end up needing to go to the vet to be put to sleep? If so, how do I go about arranging that? She hasn't visited a vet before. Thanks again. Becky

I'm sorry to hear your ham is nearing the end, it's never easy. The advice you've had is great.

During this time it can be very difficult as they may decline suddenly or gradually. It's a difficult decision to decide whether or not to help them over the rainbow bridge.

Regarding the vets, I'd find a vet willing to see your hamster. Explain that they're not very well and ask if a vet can check them over. Once you are there you can voice your concerns and discuss your options with the vet.

I think its advisable for anybody who keeps pets to find a good vet and discuss euthanasia before an animal takes ill.

I had two of my hamsters and a foster hamster put to sleep for the following reasons:
one was acutely ill and had reached a stage where pain relief was no longer effective.
Another had been ill for a while but managed fine on pain relief until one day he kept falling over and was no longer able to get himself back onto his paws. I had him pts that very day because lack of mobility would have caused a hamster, who is a prey animal, a huge amount of stress. His heart was still strong.
A rescue hamster had taken ill and an ultrasound scan revealed a number of serious problems which left her with a very poor prognosis. The vet and i agreed that it would be kinder to pts her now to save her from suffering.

It is a very hard decision to make. It is also hard to know how long to wait to see if a hamster will pass naturally.
My first hamster didn't leave his nest for the last few days of his life and i was torn between letting nature take its course or uprooting him and taking him to the vet to have him pts. As it happened, he died in his nest the next day.

I think the question you need to ask yourself is: Do you think that your hamster is in pain or suffering? If yes, then i would have her pts.

It is the law in the UK for a vet to administer gas before giving the lethal injection into the heart. I would have a chat with a vet first to reassure yourself that this is the procedure they follow.

I would advise you to source an exotics or hamster knowledgeable vet now. To get an appointment could take a few days but vets will arrange an emergency appointment if needed. You could also enquire about their policies on euthanasia.

Thank you both. My biggest concern is that she's in pain. I'd hate to be dragging out the inevitable just for her to pass away anyway (which will 99.9% definitely be the outcome). I'll keep observing her today whilst I do research into the local vets that could possibly help.

Thanks for all your advice, I haven't had a hamster since I was a child, 30-odd years ago, and I'm trying to navigate this without upsetting my children too much in the process as well.

Thank you both. My biggest concern is that she's in pain. I'd hate to be dragging out the inevitable just for her to pass away anyway (which will 99.9% definitely be the outcome). I'll keep observing her today whilst I do research into the local vets that could possibly help.

Thanks for all your advice, I haven't had a hamster since I was a child, 30-odd years ago, and I'm trying to navigate this without upsetting my children too much in the process as well.
I'm in the process of writing a guide for quality of life, death and bereavement. Should be able to finish it and post it this evening. Hopefully it'll help you and your children with this process.

A vet would also offer cremation if you don't have a garden to bury her in.

Maybe to have her pts now would be the kindest option for your hamster and your family.

I'm in the process of writing a guide for quality of life, death and bereavement. Should be able to finish it and post it this evening. Hopefully it'll help you and your children with this process.
That would be so helpful for many people, regardless of their age.

I agree with sourcing an exotic vet first and also sounding out vet practices on the phone. My experience has been that not all vets offer gas sedation before euthanasia (I am not entirely sure if it's law now or just protocol). I now have a vet who says they will only use gas sedation first as they think it's the right thing.

I hear you, worrying if she is in pain, and you could get Metacam (pain relief) from the vet to keep her comfortable. However many vets won't prescribe it without seeing the hamster first, and then you have to upheave the hamster to the vets - which may mean thinking about whether having her pts at the same time might come up anyway. Some might prescribe it - via a telephone consultation.

The staggering sounds very typical of a slowly dying hamster to me. Whether or not she has had a stroke. Yes it is very difficult with children. With our first Syrian I just explained the hamster was getting very old and slowing down and would sleep more and eventually one day he might decide it was his time to go and not wake up - because he was very very old. I explained how he was almost 100 years old in human years. This kind of prepared the way a bit with some adjustment time. I really really did not want to have him pts but in the end it was necessary.

I think she is probably wanting to stay in her nest at the moment - she perked up at the bit of blueberry. But you are probably best gauging that. She may well have had a stroke but that won't be causing pain - just immobility. Some vets will give advice over the phone in these circumstances.

As a guide though, if she is in pain she may have

1) Her ears flat down all the time (not just when she wakes up - it's normal for them to be down when they've just woken up).
2) Sitting hunching
3) A kind of drawn look around her eyes (my vet calls it squinty eyes - as if someone is pulling the skin back above their eyes).

In some ways it's a natural process for them, but if it goes on for some time then yes she may be suffering as unable to go - sometimes they have a strong heart.

I would take one day at a time. Google exotic vets in your region (there may not be many and it may be a bit further away). Phone round them and enquire if they use gas sedation for euthanasia as standard. If they do ask if it's possible to have a phone consultation with a vet.

That sounds truly excellent :)

As regards with children, I can tell you I was extremely stressed about taking our first Syrian to be pts and had no idea what to say to the child. In the end we just told him the hamster was going to the vets because he was poorly, but we didn't say the hamster had been pts. We brought him home in his pet carrier (which had a blanket over) and I said he was asleep. Only after we got home did I gradually say that the hamster had something to help with pain and had passed away in his sleep. He looked very peaceful all curled up (I made sure of that) and we were then able to have a little burial and got a special stone for the garden. I didn't want the child thinking that a trip to the vets was associated with death or a hamster not coming back. I have no idea if that was the right way or not, but it worked for us at the time as I thought the concept of euthanasia was too great for a 7 year old at that time.

It is incredibly hard for children and what helped was when we got another one a few weeks later. Helped all of us actually. It took away the bad memories of the last few weeks of the hamster's life and replaced them with joy at a funny new maverick baby hamster. Nothing ever replaces the hamster - they are all their own personality and unique. It helps if the next one is a different colour or sex. Or even a different pet possibly.

Just to add though, I think getting another hamster is good. Because the children are a couple of years older next time and know what to expect and every time is different. And they don't feel they have "lost" their pet in the same way then. Just like people get a puppy after a dog has died. You need it.

That would be brilliant thank you 🙏

Back