Old hamster or ill?

kagehara

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2 year and 2 month old hamster named Jumpy. He's never had any health issues before, but since around December 24th he's been acting weird, and I can't tell if he's just old or if he's ill.
His breaths look exaggerated (his chest moves a lot), he walks slow and stumbles easily, he doesn't get startled the same way as before (if you touched him while sleeping, he jumped, and now he just looks at you), he usually can't open one of his eyes (sometimes both) because of blemishes in the eyes (this has happened to him a lot all his life, but never this often)(thankfully I can clean them with just a gauze with warm water), his ears are constantly flat as if he had just woken up, he sleeps 24/7 and I have to manually give him water and food with a syringe with no needle or else he won't (he barely eats and I don't see him drink water). He doesn't complain when I feed him like that though, and he doesn't vomit afterwards, but I don't see him cleaning himself and he doesn't bother to make a proper nest (he just keeps the toilet paper as it is). And no, he doesn't have wet tail, he hasn't lost weight, and he doesn't sneeze. I don't think he has mucus from his nose either.

I hope it's not relevant, but a couple of weeks before he started looking ill I found mold in the jar where he hid his food. Both the jar and the cage have been fully cleaned multiple times since then, including as soon as I found out (I threw out all his food, bedding, and nest, and cleaned the things I kept). We also gave him a couple of weeks ago a bit of turkey since I saw vets recommending it as a source of protein, but just a day later I checked if he had eaten it and I saw that it had started to rot so I deep-cleaned everything again. I know it's stressful for hamsters to deep clean the entire cage, but I couldn't risk him getting something even more serious than whatever he is dealing with now.

Also, he poops normally in his nest (he's always done that) and he gets up to pee somewhere else (but as I said, he's slow and stumbles a bit).
Before this, he didn't really like being held, but now he falls asleep in my arms when I wrap him around in a towel to give him food/water (so he doesn't get messy or wet). When he first started showing symptoms I took him out of his cage at night for a bit as normal and let him run around in my bed, but all he did was slowly walk toward hidden or warm places and curl up in a ball.

Is this normal?? My brother's hamster is 2 years and around 6 months old and he isn't like that as far as I know.
Here's a picture of him in November vs a couple of days ago now in January:1705331502798.png

This is his cage at the moment. As you can see, it's very clean, since he doesn't go out of his nest much. His nest is the giant pile of toilet paper, and I make sure it's clean. I put the cage next to the radiator since he started showing symptoms so he's warm and so far I believe he enjoys it. I see him seeking warmth and sleeping there (ie: the towel).
The cage used to have a "second floor" he could climb to, but there's no use for it anymore for obvious reasons.

1705332248346.png

Someone please help me out here. I can't take him to the vet without my parents help since I'd have to go walking and he'd freeze on the way there, but they don't want to take him to it because the few times we've taken a hamster to the vet they never know what to do with them or just directly put them down even if it's because of a minor injury :(

I really need some help. He's my best friend, I love him so much.

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the forum. I can tell how much you love Jumpy. He is a wonderful age. You are in a very difficult situation with your parents not allowing you to take him to the vet. How long is the walk to the vet? If you have his carrier wrapped up well then it should be okay if you need to walk there. I understand how hard it can be to find a vet who understands hamsters but often a vet can prescribe pain relief which can really help when a hamster is older.

I am sorry Jumpy is unwell. It is hard when they become older isnt it? I find an older hamster can live even longer if they have some pain relief as sometimes they are sore due to being older.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I can tell how much you love Jumpy. He is a wonderful age. You are in a very difficult situation with your parents not allowing you to take him to the vet. How long is the walk to the vet? If you have his carrier wrapped up well then it should be okay if you need to walk there. I understand how hard it can be to find a vet who understands hamsters but often a vet can prescribe pain relief which can really help when a hamster is older.

I am sorry Jumpy is unwell. It is hard when they become older isnt it? I find an older hamster can live even longer if they have some pain relief as sometimes they are sore due to being older.
It's around 15-20 minutes by walking, and these days we're at a temperature between -3ºC and 10ºC :( And unfortunately that's the vet we visited last time and they told us directly that they didn't know what was wrong with the hamster (it was my sister's). They prescribed him meds that gave him diarrhea and unfortunately passed away a few weeks later </3

It's around 15-20 minutes by walking, and these days we're at a temperature between -3ºC and 10ºC :( And unfortunately that's the vet we visited last time and they told us directly that they didn't know what was wrong with the hamster (it was my sister's). They prescribed him meds that gave him diarrhea and unfortunately passed away a few weeks later </3
Sounds like it is best not to use that vet then. Some vets really do not understand hamsters. Are Jumpy's ears always down and is he able to eat anything himself? I was not sure if you were feeding him everything. By the way, hamsters do not vomit so you do not need to worry about that.

Hello & welcome to the forum.

I’m really sorry to hear that Jumpy has reached this stage, it is clear you love him & want to do everything you can to help him, I know from my own experience how hard it is when a hamster reaches old age & begins to show signs of decline but sadly there often isn’t much you can do.
I doubt that the mould problem would have caused this, it does sound like th end stages of life to me, when they get old their organs can begin to fail & it will often be as it is with Jumpy, they no longer eat well or do much other than sleep.
The fact that his ears are down does suggest that he may be in some pain or discomfort, if you could get him to the vet they may be able to give him something for pain relief but I’m not sure there’s much else they can do at this stage.
I can imagine how difficult it must be if you aren’t able to easily get him to the vet, if you can’t find a vet to help him all you can really do now is try to keep him comfortable & calm.
Does he eat at all on his own if you put some soft food near his nest?

Sounds like it is best not to use that vet then. Some vets really do not understand hamsters. Are Jumpy's ears always down and is he able to eat anything himself? I was not sure if you were feeding him everything. By the way, hamsters do not vomit so you do not need to worry about that.
Yes, they're always down. And he eats a little, but definitely not as much as he used to. I gave him a small banana slice a couple of days ago and he did eat it entire though, but I know he can't survive off just that since it's not too healthy. I've been giving him baby food on a syringe with no needle and he apparently enjoys it, but I don't see him eating much by himself, and I haven't seen him drink by himself for weeks, so I also give him some water using that method twice a day.

Hello & welcome to the forum.

I’m really sorry to hear that Jumpy has reached this stage, it is clear you love him & want to do everything you can to help him, I know from my own experience how hard it is when a hamster reaches old age & begins to show signs of decline but sadly there often isn’t much you can do.
I doubt that the mould problem would have caused this, it does sound like th end stages of life to me, when they get old their organs can begin to fail & it will often be as it is with Jumpy, they no longer eat well or do much other than sleep.
The fact that his ears are down does suggest that he may be in some pain or discomfort, if you could get him to the vet they may be able to give him something for pain relief but I’m not sure there’s much else they can do at this stage.
I can imagine how difficult it must be if you aren’t able to easily get him to the vet, if you can’t find a vet to help him all you can really do now is try to keep him comfortable & calm.
Does he eat at all on his own if you put some soft food near his nest?
He only eats by himself if it's really soft food like bananas, but I know I can't give him that every day, so I make sure to feed him baby food daily with the syringe.

May I ask what temperature it is in the room his cage is in? If possible I would try to keep the room warm to ensure Jumpy is nice and warm.

May I ask what temperature it is in the room his cage is in? If possible I would try to keep the room warm to ensure Jumpy is nice and warm.
I think it's 22ºC right now, and the heating is activated automatically when it goes lower than 21ºC or so if I'm correct.

Hello. Jumpy is lovely. I am so sorry to hear this, but he sounds to be failing quite badly and must be in quite a bit of pain all the time if his ears are down all the time. As they get older, their organs start to fail gradually, it's just part of the ageing. Some may live longer than others but 2 years 2 months is really quite old. The breathing suggests it might be a bit of heart failure possibly, but he could have something else going on as well.

The only thing you can do really, I think, is help him on his way. His quality of life is not good and it's a way to relieve pain and suffering. I know that sounds hard, but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do. Elusive mentioned possibly pain relief medications, and that can sometimes be an option but it isn't always enough and it sounds like you would struggle to get the pain medication down him.

He's a beautiful boy and you must love him very much. He is in his later stages of life really and could maybe do with a helping hand. Sometimes things can get a lot worse before they actually die naturally and the suffering can be prolonged then, or it can become an emergency visit to have them put to sleep if they are screaming in pain for example. I think it would be kinder to take him to the vets or he may just start to die of starvation. I hope that isn't too harsh sounding, but it can be what happens.

I think if you went to a vet they would suggest helping him on his way. The ears down all the time is a sign of bad pain all the time and unhappiness.

A walk in the cold sounds tricky. Would your parents help you to get there if it was a final visit, and for some support?

Hello. Jumpy is lovely. I am so sorry to hear this, but he sounds to be failing quite badly and must be in quite a bit of pain all the time if his ears are down all the time. As they get older, their organs start to fail gradually, it's just part of the ageing. Some may live longer than others but 2 years 2 months is really quite old. The breathing suggests it might be a bit of heart failure possibly, but he could have something else going on as well.

The only thing you can do really, I think, is help him on his way. His quality of life is not good and it's a way to relieve pain and suffering. I know that sounds hard, but sometimes it's the kindest thing to do. Elusive mentioned possibly pain relief medications, and that can sometimes be an option but it isn't always enough and it sounds like you would struggle to get the pain medication down him.

He's a beautiful boy and you must love him very much. He is in his later stages of life really and could maybe do with a helping hand. Sometimes things can get a lot worse before they actually die naturally and the suffering can be prolonged then, or it can become an emergency visit to have them put to sleep if they are screaming in pain for example. I think it would be kinder to take him to the vets or he may just start to die of starvation. I hope that isn't too harsh sounding, but it can be what happens.

I think if you went to a vet they would suggest helping him on his way. The ears down all the time is a sign of bad pain all the time and unhappiness.

A walk in the cold sounds tricky. Would your parents help you to get there if it was a final visit, and for some support?
He doesn't scream, the only sound he makes is a little "smooch" he has been making his entire life at random times (not a sneeze or a squeak). And he does eat and drink, since he doesn't complain when I give him food through the syringe, and he can eat soft foods too. I'm making sure he doesn't starve or dehydrate.

It's always hard to know and accept when it's kinder to let go but age plays a huge part in whether it's better to accept a peaceful end than prolong the inevitable you will suffer the loss but be brave for Jumpys sake I doubt any medication could return him to full heath and he is existing not living. Sorry if this sounds brutal I say it with love it's only my opinion and at the end of the day you know Jumpy better than anyone.

Their lives are so short and we sometimes don't have the preparedness of several months that an animal that lives for longer would give us. Still, they are our friends and hamsters are extra special little animals. It can be difficult dealing with other people's responses to the situation as well as caring for the pet. If he is sleeping most of the time and looks weak and sore, it might be easier to release him, for you as well. It is a very very difficult thing to decide. If you do make the choice to release him, tell your parents that this is your decision, what you think best, that you are sad but want the best for your pet, and ask them if they will help you with this. Try to stay as calm as possible. If you can, phone the vet and tell them that you are coming for what will probably be euthanasia and the vet should handle it better and be sympathetic at the appointment. You can also hold on and he may pass in his sleep, but this may take longer and you may wish not to see him deteriorate further. It is upsetting, but try to think of all the great times you had and what a good friend you have been to him.

It’s good that Jumpy is eating & taking food from the syringe & you’ve really been doing your best for him but I think his laboured breathing & the fact that his ears are down all the time show that he is really not a well ham any more, it is a very hard decision to have to make, I understand that having had to make the same choice myself but I always think of it as a final act of love & care for them, better to help them to a peaceful end when we have done all we can for them & their time has come.
Jumpy has had a good long life with you, a life clearly full of love & care, it’s so hard to let them go & my thoughts are with you at such a difficult time.

It’s good that Jumpy is eating & taking food from the syringe & you’ve really been doing your best for him but I think his laboured breathing & the fact that his ears are down all the time show that he is really not a well ham any more, it is a very hard decision to have to make, I understand that having had to make the same choice myself but I always think of it as a final act of love & care for them, better to help them to a peaceful end when we have done all we can for them & their time has come.
Jumpy has had a good long life with you, a life clearly full of love & care, it’s so hard to let them go & my thoughts are with you at such a difficult time.
I don't know if it's hard for him to breathe, it's just that his chest gets wider than before when he breathes.

He does look very sweet in his towel.
That kind of laboured breathing, when it’s taking more effort so looks different to normal breathing is common in old age, it can be a sign of illness but most often happens when the heart begins to fail & they can’t get enough oxygen with each breath.

Back