Overhead cover

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
This is something that gets forgotten to be mentioned sometimes as many of us are so used to doing it now. But when setting up cages, it's something to think about. Hamsters often don't like a lot of open space above them, which is understandable as they are prey animals. So a shelf or platform, as well as a house, is fairly essential in a cage or enclosure. It gives them something to sit under and feel secure and somewhere else to go, climbing up to a shelf.

However I think this is where set ups can vary hugely between tank style cages and barred cages. With barred cages you can hang or attach items to the roof. Like rat tubes or sputniks or grass hammocks. These not only add enrichment and more things to do in the cage, but they also provide some overhead cover so a hamster doesn't feel so exposed from above.

This isn't always as easy to achieve in a tank style cage, but then it's easier to have deeper bedding in a tank style cage and that is then more necessary as a hamster can go under the substrate so they don't feel too exposed from above.

Hamsters will vary in personality - and some be more confident out and about in a cage. Others may hide away more - so the floorspace needs plenty of hides and tunnels as well and not too much open space either.

Personally I have this theory that digging underground is mainly to feel safe and that if they don't feel exposed from above, then they don't necessarily feel the need to go under the substrate so much. The opportunity to dig is always good though.

Last edited:
That’s a really good point & well worth a mention Maz, I found that even my most confident hamsters don’t like too much open space above them.
As well as the things you’ve mentioned I also find it helps to partially cover the top of the cage, it doesn’t have to be a big area but they do seem to like that darker area & feel safe there.
I think that while in the wild digging underground is obviously their only means of finding cover & safety the extent to which that still carries over within cage set ups providing plenty of cover does vary a lot from one species to another.

Covering the top of the cage is a good idea too - I forgot about that. Especially when a hamster is new until they feel more confident. That would work with a barred cage as there's still plenty of ventilation round the sides. I think with a more enclosed space that just has ventilation on the roof, it might be better to only cover part of the roof.

Back