PAH new cages and website

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
It looks like PAH have stopped selling the really small cages. Their website looks different and they have new cage products. From what I can see, they have rebranded the 70cm XL cage and the 95cm XXL cage as Habitat 2 and Habitat 3 and they come in different colours. Plus they have an equivalent of the Maxi Duna Multy (100cm plus two smaller sizes) called the Plastic home 3.

So looks like their cages are 1, 2 or 3 depending on size.

This is the new page for Syrian Hamster cages

The page for dwarf hamster cages shows the larger ones as well, but more of the smaller ones. But at least the smallest one seems to be the 70cm one. Correction - no they still have a 60cm one on that page.

The Ferplast Duna Multy equivalent is only £50. Shame it's not a bit taller!

Ooh, how interesting and encouraging! It looks like they've acknowledged that the old "XL" is not in fact XL.

I love their new Maxi Duna Multy equivalent at the great price of £50. It's too low for a Syrian at 36cm but a great option for a dwarf.

I also like the new colours, especially the blue and turquoise. I always hated that purple cage for the colour alone.

This is really positive news.

Reactions: Maz
It is positive - that they've got rid of the really small cages - but they still have the really small 60cm ones which aren't big enough for any hamster. If it was just size 2 and 3 that would be a big improvement - they need to get rid of size 1 now! Although I suppose there's an argument that a 60cm cage could be used as a hospital cage or for baby mice or something. But in that case the 60cm cages shouldn't be under the dwarf hamster section.

I agree that £50 Maxi Duna Multy equivalent is a good price. It's not really tall enough for a dwarf hamster either, if wanting good bedding depth but at least it's a 100cm. They seem to be looking at cage size more but ignoring bedding depth. All the cages are quite low.

Last edited:
Hmm I guess it is a step in the right direction.

It’s trying to tick boxes isn’t it but I bet they still sell a lot of the smaller ones and all the cages don’t allow for deeper bedding (6” max). Except the Ferplast Multipla ones possibly, which are far too narrow and very expensive for the larger one.

They are still designating 70cm cages for Syrians and some 60cm ones for dwarf hamsters - which is not great for dwarf hamsters! But have a couple of 100cm ones as well.

What I want to know is - why does the maxi duna multy cost over £200 in most places (and not easily available) if PAH can sell a version of it for £50?!

They should sell more accessories like houses, sandbaths and platforms. People might want a bigger cage to accommodate all the houses and enrichment they want to buy 🤞

Just as you wouldn't want to sit in a room without a bed, why should your hamster?

They should sell more accessories like houses, sandbaths and platforms. People might want a bigger cage to accommodate all the houses and enrichment they want to buy 🤞
I agree. I hardly ever buy from Pets at Home these days as they mostly sell pretty chews and decorations which hamsters aren't that interested in (but of course appeal to humans). A few years ago they used to sell a basic wooden house, which wasn't really very good quality, but now they don't sell anything like that.

At least it looks like the newer cages don't come with those tiny plastic huts anymore. That's good as it means people are more likely to buy a separate, larger house. A lot of people used to think the plastic huts were enough and just use those.

They don't come with wheels either which is good. So the message has got through - although instead of providing an 11" wheel in all cages, there is just no wheel! An 11" wheel would be fine for most hamsters.

The PAH 95cm cage is a good price - but has those small doors and isn't really tall enough for a Syrian, enough bedding and an 11" wheel.

They are probably dominated by dog and cat pet culture. Small animals are not seen as the equal of a dog or cat because often they don't live as long. In fact dogs are just as much hard work to train to the point you can trust them in public. With patience, small animals are as delightful as bigger ones, but having the skill to train them, and the time is not common.

Another new cage range has appeared on the website - with a deeper base - it doesn't say how deep. It also has a larger door on front - not huge, but a better size. (Although maybe that's only the largest size).

This would be good - apart from the sizes. There are four sizes but the largest one is just under 80cm and just under 50cm (78.5 x 48cm). Which is disappointing especially as it's being sold as a Syrian hamster cage. That largest one (the Habitat 4) is £65. When you can get a 100cm Plaza for £80. But then it doesn't have the deeper base.

I wish they would just do a 100cm one with a deeper base!

Actually it looks like two smaller doors next to each other - hard to tell.

If you click on "read more" under the heading description, there is also quite a long piece about hamster care and it says "we recommend you buy the largest cage possible ........." when the largest is less than 80 x 50.

It has narrow bar spacing apparently, which is good.

Not good is it says it's suitable for 2 gerbils, 2 dwarf hamsters, 2 mice or 1 Syrian hamster. So still recommending dwarf hamsters in pairs.

Last edited:
Ok so there are four sizes but they don't all have the deep base. Sizes 1 and 2 are way too small at 60cm and 70cm. Size 3 is the larger new 95 x 57cm cage (but doesn't have the deep base), Size 4 is the one above - has the deep base but is smaller than size 3 ❓

The plaza cages are right at the bottom at the end of the listing and they've removed the "120" from the plaza 120. So now it just says Savic Plaza 100 and "Savic Plaza" (without saying what size it is!) Which will be confusing for those looking to buy online who would probably go for the cheaper of the two - or the PAH version which is cheaper still.

If you open the link for the 120 cage (just called Savic Plaza) they've renamed it Plaza XL.

Last edited:
Yes, they have all the different elements but just need to put them together into one cage 🙄

• Haha
In reality I don't think much has changed. What has changed is there are two new 100cm cages (both quite low) and one smaller cage with a deeper base. All the rest are just the old models with new names in different colours. So the old Large (60cm) and XL (78cm) are now Habitats 1 and 2.

Back