Pawhut cage

aniagkhan

Reaction score
Hi! I'm wanting to adopt a dwarf hamster and need recommendations for cages, it has to be minimum 100cm. I already have the bucatstate 2.0 for my Syrian but was hoping for a cheaper alternative. I was looking at the pawhut but worry about chewing - does anyone have any suggestions or know how to make the pawhut safer? Thank you :)

Hello and welcome. I'll link our cages list below :-) I'm sure you'll find something on there. But otherwise - the Pawhut is a good size, but as you say, it can be chewed and needs waterproofing. It's better with the shelves left out and deep bedding, otherwise it's too tall and has fall risks the, with the shelves and not enough bedding. The wood is supposed to be very thin so it's easily chewed out of. Personally I like something with front access as well if it's that tall (top access is easier with a lower enclosure though). There are quite a few barred cage options suitable for dwarf hamsters, but maybe you prefer the tank style enclosures. A lot of the tank style enclosures are really quite expensive though, like the Bucatstate (which does have the advantage of a front door). It's maybe one of the better options, but you're looking for something less expensive (and presumably no diy).

For dwarf hamsters, I've used the Savic Plaza with perspex panels attached so it could have deeper bedding. But partly because I already had two Plazas. That wouldn't work out cheaper though because the cost of the perspex would make the cage as much as the Bucatstate.

All the tank style enclosures on our list are just as expensive as the Bucatstate, except the Meewoofun which is about £130 - so slightly more than a Pawhut.

Other options are the Grosvenor XL barred cage and the Pets at Home version of the Maxi Duna - (£85 ish and £50). They are both 100cm cages but lower in height. That has it's pros and cons. On the one hand it's easier access to the Hamster, more manageable, and a less expensive enclosure. On the other hand it won't hold very deep bedding. People who use them for Dwarf hamsters tend to have deep bedding at one end and put something inside the bars to hold the bedding in.

Those are both on the cages list below.

You could look out for a second hand version of one of the tank style cages like the Eco Habitat or similar. Another option is if you find a second hand Savic Plaza and buy the Perspex for that. They go for about £40 usually and the perspex panels all round are about another £84 = so £124. The full perspex that replaces the bars costs more though (about £120 on its own). But I like the screw on deep panels.

The Meewoofun is probably the cheapest tank style option. The Grosvenor XL is quite popular though for dwarf hamsters. It's easy enough to put grass mats inside the bars at one end (if you don't want to buy perspex) to have deep bedding in part of the cage. It's £69.99 at the moment.

Meewoofun

This was my Savic Plaza set up for a dwarf hamster. It needs the deep bedding and perspex or the cage is too tall for a dwarf hamster and it's unsafe then. So it's actually harder to set up than a lower cage.

Final cage set up.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I will definitely have a look into these. Seems it may be easier to just go with the Bucatstate again but I'll have a look at these options first for sure, thanks so much again!

The Bucatstate has the advantage of being a tank and also front access - especially if you're not keen on barred cages (which need some adapting) but it's a shame they are so expensive! Have a look around for a second hand Eco Habitat maybe?

I actually like using barred cages - partly because I'm used to them and also because I find them more manageable, being able to take them apart etc or move them easier if needed. What about the Meewoofun? It's a bit cheaper than the Bucatstate?

I'll definitely look into the eco habitat I hadn't heard of those ones before! And I know I used to have a barred cage and I thought they were great! But the hamster adoption page has recently said that this particular hamster wouldn't actually be good in a barred cage so there's that too! Thanks so much :)

Yes some rescues do specify it has to be a non barred cage these days. Although they will sometimes accept something like a Plaza with the full perspex. The Eco Habitat isn't sold new many places now - just on Amazon where it's really expensive, but there are sometimes second hand ones available. They were used for guinea pigs as well :)

If you could get a second hand Plaza for next to nothing then the full perspex is about £120 and it turns it into a tank with a front opening door. A non barred cage is usually safer for a dwarf hamster, which is maybe why they specified it - due to height and bar spacing. Unless it was something like the Grosvenor XL but if they say it needs to be non-barred ............

Sometimes people are giving away Plaza cages on Facebook rescue pages etc.

If you don't mind a bit of diy then a platsa is a very cheap option - it just needs a lid making out of wood and mesh - there are examples on that cage list thread, which links to diy cages.

This Platsa is £40

Back