Pet carriers

Maz

Administrator
Staff member
Moderator and Admin
Reaction score
It's an important thing to have, even before you get a hamster. Ideally to collect them in, but also you never know when you're going to need to go to the vets. I also find they come in very useful at various times - eg during a cage clean or cage change.

Like most things sold for hamster, hamster sized pet carriers are usually far too small. It is best to get a guinea pig sized carrier. It's big enough to fit a small house in plus plenty of substrate, so the hamster can be cosy and still move around. I have the Ferplast Aladino, which is great but there are plenty of similar ones available. Add any tips or links you have for good pet carriers! For now, here is a selection of good ones.

Some of them look very similar but it's important to check how well the top part is attached to the bottom part (so it doesn't come apart when you're carrying it by the handles). I've always been so conscious of this risk that I carry it supported underneath as well, and not just by the handles!

1) Ferplast Aladino Guinea pig size 30cm x 23cm height 21cm. The top part is detachable for easy cleaning. It has good ventilation and opens and closes easily and it has a wider base area than some so the hamster can dig down. The best bit it - the price is still the same as when I bought mine years ago! £15. It's not cheap but then neither has it doubled in price like so many things these days! It may cost a little bit more than others but it's very good quality and easy to use.

I've had mine for years and used it for both Syrian and Roborovski hamsters. For a house I sometimes use one of the little pod houses from the Hamster Heaven, sometimes a small carrot/hay cottage (it just fits) and sometimes use a Fuzzbutts snooze cube (for nervous hamsters - they feel secure and cosy and it's easy to lift them in and out in it when you get to the vets).

Ferplast Aladino Guinea Pig.jpg

2. Trixie Pico 30cm x 21cm x 23cm high - looks very similar to the Aladino but a different fastener £12.99

Trixie Pico pet carrier.jpg

3. Karlie Pet shuttle. 25cm x 19cm x 18cm. This one is slightly smaller but still a reasonable size (although maybe just for dwarf hamsters as you would only fit a small house in there).

Karlie pet shuttle.jpg

4. Pod Pet carrier - unknown brand 30cm x 20cm x 22cm. This is very similar looking to one that Zooplus used to sell (but don't any more). It slopes in a lot more at the bottom than the Aladino but still fine.Pod pet carrier.jpg

This is the Fuzzbutts snooze cube I've used in a pet carrier before. I have one as an out of cage time toy (as it's fabric and fleece). Not really safe to leave in a cage In case they decide to chew it (with certain exceptions - eg hamsters who are old and have lost their teeth!).

I cut the tabs and rings off and use a bulldog clip to keep the smaller rear door closed. Hamster snuggles inside it then you just lift it out at the vets and hamster feels secure. It's not easy getting a hamster in and out of a pet carrier sometimes and they can get a bit stressed by it. So having a familiar cosy hide helps it be less stressful I think. Depending on the hamster!.

Other houses I've used in a pet carrier are

One of those little pod houses from the hamster heaven - fits any hamster when it's sat on top of substrate

Hamster Heaven pod house.jpg

Rosewood carrot cottage (small). These are cardboard covered in hay with dried carrot on top. All of these are good out of cage toys as well so useful to have around.

Carrot cottage.jpg

Last edited:
When i rescued and rehomed, i included a transport box in my adoption fee because i wanted the hamster to travel in comfort.

I put substrate with their scent in the box, all their chews and millets plus a favoured toy. I used the cheap Wilko boxes for that purpose and got them in different heights, depending on the size of the toy.

When possible, i let the adoptive parent choose the decorative tape.

20221101_080733.jpg

I have the large rosewood carrier and it's great. The only problem I have is opening it. Something like Beryls made would be much easier. Where did you get the tape from? I assume you've just cut a hole in the lid, sanded it smooth and poked a few holes to thread zip ties through to secure the mesh? Does the tape wrap around the edges that you've cut?

I also have the Rosewood carrier (the bigger one) and it feels so flimsy. It is really difficult to open.

I have the large rosewood carrier and it's great. The only problem I have is opening it. Something like Beryls made would be much easier. Where did you get the tape from? I assume you've just cut a hole in the lid, sanded it smooth and poked a few holes to thread zip ties through to secure the mesh? Does the tape wrap around the edges that you've cut?
The tape is from The Range or Hobbycraft. I cut the mesh to size first with a wire cutter, placed it on the box and marked the holes then marked the lines to cut. I drilled the holes first with an electric drill then cut the square out with a Dremel and sanded the edges. Then i applied the tape and cut to size with a stanley knife and punched through the holes. Placed the mesh on top and secured with cable ties then cut the surplus off with the wire cutter.
I've also used the 0.5in x 0.5in mesh and the smaller one shown. Either works.

20221101_142102.jpg20221101_142046.jpg

That is such a brilliant idea Beryl. You are clever. Especially for taking them to the vets. With our robo I used to take a small bin with me with hemp mat in the bottom and a couple of toys, then lift him from the pet carrier in the snooze cube, into the small bin with the hemp mat and toys, so he could run around in there, and the vet could see him and pick him up easier. Because I didn't want him stressed out! Often vets will lift a hamster out of the pet carrier and put them on the examining table and - whoosh - they shoot off it.

A pet carrier needs to not be too small but also not so large they could hurt themselves in it on car journeys with sudden braking (eg thrown against the sides). Which is why transporting a hamster in its cage isn't a good idea.

A small bin is fantastic. I guess it is better for people who have a car though because it would be difficult to carry it when walking or on public transport.

I always keep a flannel on top of the hamsters cages and take it to a vet visit. The vet uses it to pick the hamster up which makes wriggly ones easier to handle and the hamster has a familiar smell around them.

The rub carrier is handy because the vet can hold the hamster over it and also observe them through the mesh.

My vet never puts a hamster on the table. It's a job keeping them on the large scales for a weigh in.

I find the small rub easy and secure to carry because they have clip on handles. It would also fit into a canvas bag.

I was just going to say that! Very Scottish!

I have the Large Rosewood carrier and a couple of medium ones. They are more flimsy than the Aladino. Also, the lid has a hole which can be chewed larger.

My gerbil Tilly was responsible for this:

DSCN2779.jpg

The Aladino or Pico are safer as they only have small holes or slits in the lid.

I've also known a female Syrian to figure out how to open one of the pod-style carriers from the inside! I don't leave them unattended anymore for that reason.

Goodness - can't believe hard plastic was chewed like that! Very determined gerbil.

Back